Especially for newly diagnosed - Dealing with Change

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Summer Rain

Re: Especially for newly diagnosed - Dealing with Change

Post by Summer Rain » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:37 pm

idamtnboy wrote:In response to the discussion in the thread about an unsupportive spouse I felt prompted to revise a write up I have concerning dealing with change. We encounter changes of all sorts through life, including the one when we received the diagnosis of sleep apnea. How we respond is almost always the same, albeit in different degrees and intensity. The emotional phases we go through are shock, denial, depression, and acceptance.

The information I share is derived from a work seminar on the subject and my own experiences of life. I trust it will be of benefit to some.

Coping with Change for CPAP Patients
I just want to thank you so much for your "amazingly insightful" way of decribing how this "transformational time" can be for a new Cpap user! I sorta laughed and cried as I read it....as you REAllY were describing me to a "T" ! I am brand new to this sight....not even sure I am making this post the right way........? But the first thing I read was your post and I can't tell you how much it helped me to know that there were others who understood!! I am still transitioning out of "shock and denial"...so say a little prayer for me! Yes, I am depending on GOD to get me through this , too!

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:45 pm

Summer Rain wrote:I just want to thank you so much for your "amazingly insightful" way of decribing how this "transformational time" can be for a new Cpap user! I sorta laughed and cried as I read it....as you REAllY were describing me to a "T" ! I am brand new to this sight....not even sure I am making this post the right way........? But the first thing I read was your post and I can't tell you how much it helped me to know that there were others who understood!! I am still transitioning out of "shock and denial"...so say a little prayer for me! Yes, I am depending on GOD to get me through this , too!
Thank you for your kind words. And thank you to everyone else who has read and commented on my article. Makes me truly glad I was able to share it.

I don't come back and respond every time someone comments simply so this topic remains free of comments that add little to its substance. But I do read all of them. The variation in the experiences and feelings of all CPAP users is very interesting and sometimes rather intriguing. Again, thank you to everyone.

rjwatson

Post by rjwatson » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:16 pm

I'm newly diagnosed. I have numerous medical issues along with sever obstructive sleep apnea. I started with an auto cpap machine. The mask is good, the sound I can deal with, and set-up is not complicated. My husband is getting good sleep now that I'm not snoring, gasping, and not breathing. The problem I'm having is nightmares. Very vivid nightmares. My neurologist said it is typical and will get better when I get reserve sleep banks; which may take several months to years. I don't have a choice. I desperately need good night's sleep because of diabetes, high blood pressure, 2 pulmonary emboli at different times, depression and last but not least, CIDP which is a neurological disease that effects the brain. Lawd have mercy. I would love to sleep without nightmares.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:21 pm

Congratulations on your adaptation to this therapy. This is the first step and the journey does get better.

Unfortunately the xPAP machines don't have a "pleasant dreams only" button...

There are a few things you can try. Eliminate stress and anxiety as much as possible. Sometimes supplements such as magnesium and a B complex can help. Also some additional sulfur may help.

You also may want to visit "the bank." They may be able to figure out a "rapid payment plan" for your sleep debt...

Here is hoping you have pleasant dreams from here on out.

rafael101

Post by rafael101 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:23 pm

hi my name iis rafael i am a new with this whole sleep apnea thing i need help i am scared and i have seen the videos so wut do u gys recamend

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:56 pm

I recommend that you read the various posts on the forum. When you run across something that you don't understand, ask questions about it.

JLM1951

Post by JLM1951 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:39 pm

Last night was my first night at home with my new CPAP and nose pillows. Was a constant battle all night dealing with keeping gear in place and finally getting the humidifier set so I wasn't so dried out and had no rainouts. My setting is for 13 and the pressure seems high and I must have been swallowing lots of air, which woke me quite often. I'm feeling positive that I'll eventually get use to it. I've ordered a hose cover and strap guards to help soften the area around my cheeks. I'm learning lots from this forum and I appreciate everyone's input. Hope I make a speedy adjustment to this and looking forward to putting an end to my insomnia. Did get to giggle a little when I first put it on. My cat jumped up in bed, took one look and hissed at me. Think she slept under the bed for the night.

DavidCarolina

Post by DavidCarolina » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:32 am

WHen i got sick sudden onset both apnea and adrenal problems my wife told me straight out she didnt believe me or that
I was exaggerating.

All this even though she was in the ER before diagnosis and saw my heart palpitating and BP going up and down.

The MORON doctors told me I had ANXIETY. Not one of the physicians in the early stages even SUGGESTED apnea, even though
i was a 50 year old white male stocky with a thick neck and a narrow airway describing breathing problems.

My wife has migraines which I never one time ever questioned in my mind: she said it i believed it.

Chronic health problems are dang dangerous physically, emotionally and maritally unless youre with a rock solid traditional
loving and empathetic person who who are one with. IF not, youre pretty much on your own.

sleepstar

Post by sleepstar » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:35 pm

DavidCarolina wrote:WHen i got sick sudden onset both apnea and adrenal problems my wife told me straight out she didnt believe me or that
I was exaggerating.

All this even though she was in the ER before diagnosis and saw my heart palpitating and BP going up and down.

The MORON doctors told me I had ANXIETY. Not one of the physicians in the early stages even SUGGESTED apnea, even though
i was a 50 year old white male stocky with a thick neck and a narrow airway describing breathing problems.

My wife has migraines which I never one time ever questioned in my mind: she said it i believed it.

Chronic health problems are dang dangerous physically, emotionally and maritally unless youre with a rock solid traditional
loving and empathetic person who who are one with. IF not, youre pretty much on your own.

It really worries me how many doctors don't know about OSA.

Robotcoupe

Post by Robotcoupe » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:18 pm

Hey all,

I am waiting as I write this for the tech to come with my first cpap machine today.
Looking forward to this greatly, as my one experience was during a sleep study where I used a cpap for half the night.
I woke up the next morning with so much energy, I realized... I'm not getting old or slowing down.... I've just been dealing with the effects of sleep apnea!

I look forward to being my old self!

vicred

Post by vicred » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:09 pm

Hi there, thanks for the wonderful letter. It has been so hard for me especially since i am still working fulltime and am in my 30s . I have been off work for so long as i did not know i had sleep apnea or a sleep disorder and i just couldn't work for few months due to fatigue and inability to concentrate. this year i went back to work and after a few days could not work again. then i was finally diagnosed with apnea and started using machine. after a few weeks, thought i was ok and told work i am fine. this week i went to work for two days and today woke up feeling so sick and tired and had to call in sick again..after all those promises. also since their payroll dept is not very good, they overpaid me for a month and i have to pay back now but i dont even know when i can work again. everyday, and every hour its a struggle to feel normal again...it's like i am a walking zombie..some hours i feel normal and some hours i feel so sleepy..i also cannot drive more than 5km away from home as i feel so sleepy at traffic lights in the morning and have to depend on someone to drive me everyday around their own timetables....it really really sucks!!!and sometimes i get so depressed..when will i be normal and functional again?

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:22 pm

vicred wrote:Hi there, thanks for the wonderful letter. It has been so hard for me especially since i am still working fulltime and am in my 30s . I have been off work for so long as i did not know i had sleep apnea or a sleep disorder and i just couldn't work for few months due to fatigue and inability to concentrate. this year i went back to work and after a few days could not work again. then i was finally diagnosed with apnea and started using machine. after a few weeks, thought i was ok and told work i am fine. this week i went to work for two days and today woke up feeling so sick and tired and had to call in sick again..after all those promises. also since their payroll dept is not very good, they overpaid me for a month and i have to pay back now but i dont even know when i can work again. everyday, and every hour its a struggle to feel normal again...it's like i am a walking zombie..some hours i feel normal and some hours i feel so sleepy..i also cannot drive more than 5km away from home as i feel so sleepy at traffic lights in the morning and have to depend on someone to drive me everyday around their own timetables....it really really sucks!!!and sometimes i get so depressed..when will i be normal and functional again?
You really need to talk to your doctor about this. Sure sounds like there may something a whole lot more than just OSA going on, or your machine settings are not right.

violanash

Post by violanash » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:35 am

awww. This is really nice. Thanks for sharing. Very motivational.

justmissjulie

Post by justmissjulie » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:03 pm

This is my very first post on a forum of any kind.

I shot through those four stages -- shock, denial, depression, acceptance -- in no time at all. I was truly EXCITED by the prospect of getting my own machine and experiencing wakefulness for the first time in what appears to be many years. I believe I have been given a new lease on life -- only good things can come from strapping that mask to my face every night. With an AHI of over 50, I can only assume that death wasn't too far around the corner for me.

Last night was my second night and I kept the mask on all night. It's nearly 7pm and I'm still wide awake even after watching a few television shows -- I can't believe it!! Sure, I haven't gone for a walk or started to jog down the street; but, that's coming, my Friends, that is definitely coming.

I will thank God for my new sleep buddy for the rest of my now potentially long life.

daisy99

Post by daisy99 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:53 pm

How do I know which cpap machine I should buy, which provider to use, which mask to ask for, it is all very confusing. Then the insurance must be considered. I really do not know where to start. The doctor recommended a type I never heard of (Fisher&Paykel), the only place in Dallas or Ft Worth, if you can believe is 56 miles from my house -- entirely too far.