Drying out my hose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
fishy

Drying out my hose

Post by fishy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:55 pm

When I wash my hose, I hang it in the bathroom to let it dry, but there are still water beads in it. This seems like it could be a breeding ground for bacteria and all sorts of yuk. Is there a way to dry the hose...do they make a "snake" device to dry the hose? Does it Matter?

BTW...I'm just past 2 weeks and am now getting a solid 4-7 hrs with the cpap. I'm not feeling a whole lot more rested, but my mind feels better knowing I'm not depriving my brain and heart of O2 so it seems worth it. My goal is to get 6-8 hrs/night with the cpap. My leaks are minimal and AHI on average is around 0.7. Some nights I get a peak of 2-4 AHI. One night the peak was 0.3. I can't say I took to it "like a duck to water", but it isn't the most horrible thing. In a way, I associate the mask with sleep and am starting to feel sleepy once I put it on.

tooter

Re: Drying out my hose

Post by tooter » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:32 pm

Since we are to use distilled water in the humidifier, why would you use tap water to clean the hose and then hang it in the germ infected bathroom of all places to let it dry. The minute you turn on your CPAP you are running moist air through the hose that you just had hanging in the bathroom. Personally I see no point in regularly cleaning and trying to dry the hose...it's just going to get wet again that night.
Fixed pressure at 11

bjcyorkiemom

Post by bjcyorkiemom » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:57 pm

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/tube-c ... -hose.html

Tube cleaning system, brush and Control III tube cleaning product.

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:29 pm

bjcyorkiemom wrote:https://www.cpap.com/productpage/tube-c ... -hose.html

Tube cleaning system, brush and Control III tube cleaning product.
I can't believe they want $17 for that little piece of plastic. They should be ashamed of themselves

Use these laundry hangers and clip it to the end of the hose.

Elle

Post by Elle » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:12 pm

I don't wash my hose.

only me

Post by only me » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:39 am

I just blow the hose dry (if there is any moisture in it, seldom) with an ancient old (1st cpap) machine....may 15-20 minutes.

davelikesbeer

Post by davelikesbeer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:49 am

When I wash my hose, I typically swing it around my head and rub it up and down creating a vibration to release the droplets, then let it hang for a while.

However, i recently discovered that there were still droplets in my hose after two weeks! They were small, but still there. This really surprised me. I don't think the drops could have lasted so long if it were warmer though.

In the thread I posted a couple of weeks ago, someone suggested building a system with a computer fan that would simply blow air in it. I think this would dry the hose within minutes. Someone else suggested an electric dish dryer.

Elle

Post by Elle » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:01 am

"When I wash my hose, I typically swing it around my head and rub it up and down creating a vibration to release the droplets, then let it hang for a while." This almost sounds like TMI

JK

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:13 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85647&p=779321&hilit=dryer#p779321

I can dry my hose in under 3 mins. But the blower cost $52-$58.

I didn't like the idea of water being in my hose still after a week of hang drying. I was not going to use my cpap machine as an equipment dryer, the dish dryer unit was pricey and uses heat.

I was not going to swing around my hose, I aint got time for that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFEoMO0pc7k

simsy

Post by simsy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:48 pm

After I wash my hose, I just simply put it on the CPAP machine, run it, and let the machine dry it out. The machine pumps a lot of air through wihout the mask connected and it takes just a minute or so.

Cheers

Summer Rain

Post by Summer Rain » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:18 am

simsy wrote:After I wash my hose, I just simply put it on the CPAP machine, run it, and let the machine dry it out. The machine pumps a lot of air through wihout the mask connected and it takes just a minute or so.

Cheers
I agree ! I was actually told that this is how you are supposed to do it...( by the people who sold me my Cpap) ! Just remember to leave the water tray in... with out water in it! Hose will dry in 2 or 3 min.

aquarose

Post by aquarose » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:53 pm

]thanks to the people who suggested using the cpap machine itself to dry out the hose...! I am so glad I found this forum.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:11 pm

aquarose wrote:]thanks to the people who suggested using the cpap machine itself to dry out the hose...! I am so glad I found this forum.
This is an old post...but...think about it. The moisture in the hose comes from the air running over the water in the humidifier. If you let the machine run after you get up...the same thing is happening unless you remove the humidifier cup. Who cares if the hose has moisture, it will get more when you turn on the CPAP at night.

Sleeping Ugly

Post by Sleeping Ugly » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:32 pm

Elle wrote:"When I wash my hose, I typically swing it around my head and rub it up and down creating a vibration to release the droplets, then let it hang for a while." This almost sounds like TMI

JK
I would bring popcorn to this show!
CPAP Therapy: providing restful and restorative sleep, while making you LOOK like you haven't had ANY! --me

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:36 pm

Sleeping Ugly wrote:
Elle wrote:"When I wash my hose, I typically swing it around my head and rub it up and down creating a vibration to release the droplets, then let it hang for a while." This almost sounds like TMI

JK
I would bring popcorn to this show!
I don't let mine fall in the toilet, so it stays dry! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire