ComfortLite 2 without the elbow

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rested gal

ComfortLite 2 without the elbow

Post by rested gal » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:00 pm

Well. I couldn't resist. I took a hacksaw and cut that pesky elbow off the top of the ComfortLite 2.

Works soooooo much smoother with just a swivel connector tube and no clunky elbow. Makes a good mask even better. Or, at least, does for me.

Picture of the inlet tube and swivel (ResMed part# 60926) to connect the ComfortLite 2's hose to the main air hose:

Some sites that sell the Activa/Vista inlet tube and swivel, part# 60926:

Inlet Tube with Swivel Assembly for Mirage Vista Mask - Part # 60926

Mirage Activa Nasal Mask Inlet Tube and Swivel Assembly - 60926

Tube and Swivel for Vista mask - Stock # 60926

MIRAGE ACTIVA INLET TUBE WITH SWIVEL 60926

ResMed Mirage Activa and Vista Inlet Tube and Swivel - Fits both the Mirage Vista and Mirage Activa masks. Product Code: 60926

Ritap1965

Post by Ritap1965 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:46 pm

Rested gal, we should have expected it. You couldn't leave it alone could you

Can't wait to see what you do next.

sleepyred

WOW!

Post by sleepyred » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:13 am

Wow, impressive! I saw what you did and went and got my hubby! He is so impressed as well! I think I hear him in the workshop already....

I am going to try the nasal pillows tonight - you were so right - I just can't keep a good seal with the simple cushion, even with the panty hose. But I just can't stop using it because the head gear is so very comfy!

Thanks for your lab-ratting and handy work once again!

Joes

Comfort Lite 2 with the swivel

Post by Joes » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:47 am

Thanks Laura. I was just getting ready to write a post asking if anyone had found a solution to this. I am a pillow cruncher and everytime I move I hit the swivel and pull the mask loose. Off to the workshop and modification one. Wonder why the manufacturers don't have the sense to consult you before spending all that money putting out a new product.

God Bless and take care

Joe

Snoozin' Bluezzz

Post by Snoozin' Bluezzz » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:18 am

Just did it, gonna try it tonight!

Since I can't seem to feel well on the Headrest perhaps the CL2 will work. I tried the Headrest again Thursday night, felt crummy on Friday, went back to the Swift and feel better. I really don't understand why I would feel bad on the Headrest when it does not appear to be leaking. Very perplexing.

SB

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:34 am

Snoozin' Bluezzz, I hate it that I might have to agree with you - because I absolutely love my deconstructed Aura. I've been using it for almost 3 months, but I've been feeling more tired lately, plus when I wake up, my eyes are puffy and feel like they have grit in them. I've reached the conclusion that it must be the Aura. But like you, I have no leaks or problems with it.

RG and CL2 wearers: How is the headgear? Does it fit, is it comfortable, does it mash down the hair or pull it? Does it stay in place.

Lordy, I hate to have to change from the Aura (and might not). I love that exhaust/vent feature on the brow or forehead because I love to snuggle down in my pillow and covers.

Ya, I just talked myself into not switching. .........

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:20 am

Linda3032 wrote:RG and CL2 wearers: How is the headgear? Does it fit, is it comfortable, does it mash down the hair or pull it? Does it stay in place.

Lordy, I hate to have to change from the Aura (and might not). I love that exhaust/vent feature on the brow or forehead because I love to snuggle down in my pillow and covers.

Ya, I just talked myself into not switching. .........
Linda, the CL2's headgear fits better than the Aura headgear -- on my head, anyway. CL2's can be taken up quite a bit more than Aura's can. The Aura's straps are too long for many women's heads, I think.

The CL2 headgear doesn't mash my hair down or pull it. Stays in place very well and is comfortable. Could annoy people who don't like something across the forehead...doesn't bother me.

I'm able to snuggle down into the pillow and pull covers up with the CL2. It's not as perfect for that as the Aura, but close enough.

The deconstructed Aura is still my favorite, with the CL2 a very close second and a nice mask to switch to.

Lately, I've been using the "simple cushion" (the little nose covering mask) with the CL2. As long as I put a homemade strap around the front of it, the simple cushion is working well - leaks wayyyy too much without the strap keeping it steadily against my nose. That's become a very nice rotation alternative when I feel like a change from nasal pillows.

Linda and Snoozin' Bluezzz...some people have noted that they need to adjust pressure up or down a bit, depending on what mask they wear. With an autopap you wouldn't think that would make any difference, but it might be that the lower pressure setting needs to be raised a notch or two with some masks. Perhaps that could make a difference in your results with the Aura.

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:10 pm

RG,

Do you think you could come up with a way to use the CL2's headgear with the Aura's "guts"? I find the pillows on the Aura far better when it comes to leaks than the CL2's. If that could be done, you might have the perfect mask (with your elbow-ectomy), or as close to perfect as one can come.

L o R i

sleepyred

Hose

Post by sleepyred » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:34 pm

RG - you've told me again and again - but my hose keeps slipping off my simple cushion - not tight enough? How do you place it?

I think that is all I need (besides hacking the elbow off the headgear) to get it to be perfect!

Forever asking,
Sleepyred

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:14 pm

Don't want to start a new thread for these Aura comments - forgive me CL2 users.

RG, we think alike. Today I did bump my minimum pressure up 1 - to see if I start feeling better in the mornings. Also, I just activated my cflex on my new machine - I set it to 1. Between the two, I might start feeling spunkier (even though I won't know which one spunked me up).

Crossing fingers the problem will be resolved.

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:50 pm

Linda3032 wrote:Don't want to start a new thread for these Aura comments - forgive me CL2 users.

RG, we think alike. Today I did bump my minimum pressure up 1 - to see if I start feeling better in the mornings. Also, I just activated my cflex on my new machine - I set it to 1. Between the two, I might start feeling spunkier (even though I won't know which one spunked me up).

Crossing fingers the problem will be resolved.
Linda,

This is just me talking, but if I were you, I would do one change at a time. You said it yourself. If you start to feel spunkier, you won't know which or both caused it. If you don't feel spunkier, then it might be one or the other defeating the purpose. It's just always better to do one thing at a time so you'll know what the result is for each one individually. It's like starting more than one medication at a time; you won't know which one caused the side effects or the improvement.

In any event, best of luck.

L o R i

rested gal

Re: Hose

Post by rested gal » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:54 pm

sleepyred wrote:RG - you've told me again and again - but my hose keeps slipping off my simple cushion - not tight enough? How do you place it?

I think that is all I need (besides hacking the elbow off the headgear) to get it to be perfect!

Forever asking,
Sleepyred
It may be the type of material the pantyhose are made of. I use a leg cut off pantyhose tights, not just regular pantyhose. Tights are usually a little thicker, softer material. Seem to have a little more "grip" and also stay a little wider...tights don't roll into a narrow band the way a regular pantyhose leg tend to do. I don't tie it extremely tight, just comfortably snug.

Aside from the material used, I vary where I actually put the "leg" strap. Usually placing it exactly across the nasal cushion, but sometimes above it instead (above the exhaust.) It can also make a difference how low or high you tie the strap behind the head. Sometimes it works better down at the back of the neck; sometimes just above the lower regular strap of the CL2. If I tie it above the CL2's strap in the back, I'll usually tuck the loose ends of the homemade strap under the CL2's strap. That helps keep the homemade strap from sliding down the back of the head.

There's a lot of trial and error about the homemade strap placement, and it can vary from night to night; or even during the night. Where you tie it behind your head, and how well the homemade strap stays up behind the head is probably the most important factor in getting the front of the homemade strap to stay wherever you put it across the front and not slide down during the night.

It's also easy to forget how important the tilt of the mask is. Be sure to fiddle with the adjustment up near the eyes, where you can pinch the two blue tabs toward each other and tilt the nasal part backward and forward. Sometimes a tilt that was fine one night is a little off on another night, so that adjustment is worth checking if a leak just won't stop despite adding a strap.

Snoozin' Bluezzz

Post by Snoozin' Bluezzz » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:27 am

Lost elbow, gained interface!

I cut that sucker off! Good tweak RG! I tossed, turned, rocked and rolled and never once broke the seal or felt restricted. Thanks!

CL2 worked pretty good last night. For me, this appears to be the only tweak it requires. Unlike the Headrest where I require X-Large pillows and the Swift where I require large pillows the CL2 works best for me with medium pillows. The large pillows are very large and I can not make them seal well. This interface has its own tweakability built in. Between the twist and angle adjustments I get a very positive and durable seal that can be easily adjusted as required.

SB

apneaicinisrael

Post by apneaicinisrael » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:51 am

RG, you are unstopable! But did you really trade in your serrated steak knife for a hacksaw?

I was all set to buy the Aura for my second mask, but I keep having moments of weakness and wondering if to go for the CL2, after all. Well, one of these days I will just punch in my order to cpap.com and that will be that. And whatever mask misses out on my #2 slot will just have to wait for me to fill the #3 spot! Sort of like voting and some less than clear-choice elections - will have to go with my gut when the moment is in front of me. Well, I do have a large head. Maybe the Aura straps will work ok for me...

Thanks for the ongoing points of view and encouragement,

AII

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:56 am

apneaicinisrael wrote:did you really trade in your serrated steak knife for a hacksaw?
What a memory you have...must be something in the water!

Well, actually I tried the serrated steak knife first, but it hardly made a dent in the neck of the elbow. I see now why hacksaws are the tool of choice for prison bars.