Why is it necessary to have a support team?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jordansmominjax

Re: Why is it necessary to have a support team?

Post by Jordansmominjax » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:47 am

Hello everyone! I am new so, if I am in the the wrong place, please forgive me. I just got my equipment today and I am looking for a group to talk to and to bounce my thoughts and issue off of. Is this the right place? Tonight will be my first night on the machine. I am praying this works. I am so tired every day even though I sleep at least 11 hours a day. I have a five year old and he just brought home a note book on his family and in almost every picture of me he had me sleeping. It made me so sad to see that. I try so hard to have the energy to play with him. I thought I was doing a good job since he goes to bed at 8P and I go at 8:30 P. For a five year old to think that his Mom's favorite thing to do is sleep made me feel so sad. Especially since I feel so tired all the time. I am looking forward to meeting you guys. Thanks for any thoughts or ideas to make these first nights on the machine successful.

geezerpop

Post by geezerpop » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:04 pm

Well, I'm new here too though a CPAP user for 25 years. It is so good to have folks who can answer your questions and encourage you. Back in BI days (Before Internet) a user was lucky to know even a few local people who used CPAP.. My circle had at most 12 people in it, but we did encourage each other and share ideas even back then. Now the community resources are so much larger. Please report back and tell us how it went for you.

Geezerpop
Geezerpop

Machine too old to be listed
No humidifier
Various masks used

atfat68

Post by atfat68 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:24 pm

I am new to this also. I got my cpap in 02 and I HATE it. I haven't hardly used it at all. The Doc didn't tell me anything but I needed this machine. The home health people came out hooked up and left. Didn't tell me anything about it at all.

geezerpop

Post by geezerpop » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:54 pm

atfat68 wrote:I am new to this also. I got my cpap in 02 and I HATE it. I haven't hardly used it at all. The Doc didn't tell me anything but I needed this machine. The home health people came out hooked up and left. Didn't tell me anything about it at all.
Sadly, I am sure this happens all too often. The Home Health Care people get their money and profit and that is what they seemingly are all about. Not all companies are this way.

What exactly do you hate about CPAP? You say you got your CPAP in 02. That hardly makes you new. Maybe you meant new to this site. Perhaps, if you can be more specific, there are some in this community who can help.
Geezerpop

Machine too old to be listed
No humidifier
Various masks used

chearyshe

Post by chearyshe » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:54 am

My support team is kind of non-existant...the company I got that machine from tried to make me out as some sort of brainless person.no helpful at all as far as how the thing works, except for "push this to start/push again twice to stop." The only support I got was at the hospital, where I went to get everything sorted out!
The doctor was nice, the pulmonary technician was good and I felt confident.

cheary!!

elerpu

i need some help at cpap com

Post by elerpu » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:28 pm

dear carolyn

i need some help from you

i prepare an order (703824) (elerpu yahoo com), but we had problems with the delivery, so the order was cancelled, and it was a big order to remake again

please you can find it?

DavidCarolina

Post by DavidCarolina » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:36 am

Its human nature to need help, accountability, guidance and even sometimes some stern words of warning when starting anything new, or
trying to complete a complicated task. This definitely fits "difficult task" because stats show half of the people fail who try it.

No different than being a baby and needing the care of parents. You'd die out there on your own.

Everybody needs as much psychological support as they can get in life. Cpap is no different.

Denisa

Post by Denisa » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:02 pm

Hello,
I'm a newbie to cpap (auto-pap) and also to this forum. I have PCOS and I've been visitng support forums for PCOS before I was diagnosed with it, so I know and value having online support for this new diagnosis. I never really thought about a support team for OSA - I really like the idea. I'm also realizing that I'm fortunate to have a DME provider located inside the clinic I normally visit. Makes it a lot easier for changing masks, etc. I go next week for my 'take the machine back' visit to my sleep doctor. I can't imagine what she's going to see on the data card!
Machine: Respironics REMstar Auto A-flex
Mask: Philips Respironics ComfortGel Blue nasal mask; ResMed Quattro FX (sometimes)
Humidifier: System One Heated Humidifier
Additional Comments: newbie to cpap

eaglett1111

Post by eaglett1111 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:10 pm

Hi all.

I just had my first post-CPAP acquisition visit with the respiratory therapist. Gotta say it was anti-climactic. Oh, she helped me with a couple of settings re the humidity, but basically she had nothing to tell me I couldn't see in my readout already. She was gaga over the amount of time I use the machine - I use it all night - and impressed at the new AHI (1%). I'm glad, too, but I had already read that on the machine myself.

I don't have to see her for a year. Works for me. I am just going to keep truckin on this thing till I am reborn. LOL.

barrynoskow

Post by barrynoskow » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:42 pm

Thank you for sharing this article, Carolyn! Most heartily agree that relying on your support network is a great way to learn more about your condition - and to help get the strength to find information for treatment. Even talking on forums like this can help one feel better! "Suffering" from obstructive sleep apnea doesn't have to feel like "suffering" anymore when you have the proper groups to help you through it.

butterflies56

Post by butterflies56 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:22 pm

I hope someone could help me got my machine last Thur like the machine but its used and there is no manual with it my machine is a rem star auto m series i have try3ed the site already no luck if anyone know a site i could go to let me know ty Debbie

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:05 am

Doc--- "you have sleep apnea.... spew series of apnea related numbers without much explanation. My rep is in the building & will see you shortly. See you in 3 months"

DME--- "here's how to put the mask on, this is how to turn the machine on & off.... call this phone number, if you need anything".

This is why we need cpaptalk, support groups and why compliance is so low.

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

eeckel

Post by eeckel » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:32 pm

I'm new to cpap and I'm struggling. The mask is so uncomfortable. I'm not sure how to adjust the machine. I travel a lot for my job. After my last trip the machine didn't record data for a couple days. I don't know why. The insurance company will take the cpap machine away if I don't have four hours a night for 30 out of 30 days. I have a foreign trip coming up and I'm not sure about going through customs and then there's the voltage converter to deal with. I just wish the insurance co provided someone to support me instead of this punishing policy if I don't measure up. So stressed about it all.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:26 pm

eeckel wrote:I'm new to cpap and I'm struggling. The mask is so uncomfortable. I'm not sure how to adjust the machine. I travel a lot for my job. After my last trip the machine didn't record data for a couple days. I don't know why. The insurance company will take the cpap machine away if I don't have four hours a night for 30 out of 30 days. I have a foreign trip coming up and I'm not sure about going through customs and then there's the voltage converter to deal with. I just wish the insurance co provided someone to support me instead of this punishing policy if I don't measure up. So stressed about it all.
The place you purchased your equipment (DME) should be helping you out...not the insurance company. Why don't you fill in your profile and list your equipment. Maybe someone here can help you.

eeckel

Post by eeckel » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:32 am

I've filled out my profile. I'm not sure what software my machine is using. Any suggestions would be appreciated.