How do i keep my mouth closed during sleep???

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
reducha

How do i keep my mouth closed during sleep???

Post by reducha » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:34 am

I've been told that the full face mask on cpap is not as effective as the nasal one. Unfortuneatly, i've been sleeping with my mouth open for so long,,i can't seem to keep it closed. Of course you can try,, but as you drift off to sleep,you relax, and the mouth opens. Are there any tricks,devices, etc, to train ones self to keep the mouth closed????

You make them part of your life. – Garrison Keillor

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:58 am

This is about mouth taping, from the CPAP FAQ on top.

cpaptalk-faq.php?FCID=30#30.

O.

sleepyred

Chin Strap

Post by sleepyred » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:02 am

I use a simple chin strap my DME gave me with my cpap. I find that it loosens during my sleep and I have to re-adjust. I have been a mouth breather, (I have really big teeth, had very buck teeth, went through the braces for years, etc,) and still breath through my mouth. I am trying my hardest to keep my nasal mask and am basically sticking with the chin strap and "re-training" myself to keep my mouth shut.

There are people who tape their mouths, use other chin straps, and maybe you can find one that will help you. Good luck! I was convinced mine would not work - but time has proven me wrong!

jcarn

Post by jcarn » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:42 am

I bought one boil and bite mouthpiece .. cut off the two ends and with those two pieces made a "plate". I boiled the mouthpiece and the plate and molded them together. This created a plate for my tongue to rest on that keeps it to the roof of my mouth. Prevents mouth breathing and costs about $3.

I've used this one for a while and can probably modify it with a bigger plate area. So far it has worked great .. very comfortable and no chinstrap.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:15 am

Good job and great picture, jcarn!

reducha, if you want to read more about homemade mouthguard devices like jcarn's clever one here's an interesting topic:

Topic started by frequenseeker Dec 01 2004 subject: mouth leak solution, cheap DIY oral appliance

And more than you could ever want to know about yet another method...taping:

Nov 05, 2005 subject: Attention all Tapirs

Mar 26, 2005 subject: Mouth tape..

Oct 01, 2005 subject: MOUTH TAPING

Aug 12, 2005 subject: F u ll face mask users

Feb 09, 2005 subject: Respironics Chin-strap??

Dec 24, 2004 subject: Just diagnosed with moderate obstructive sleep apnea

The next two discussions were on two different message boards. Even though it was same subject, the many pages of responses were different.

Sep 15, 2005 subject: Time for the big Tape Arguement Join In on the ASAA board

Sep 15 2005 subject: Time for the big Tape Arguement Join In on the TalkAboutSleep board

Ric

Lip ring?

Post by Ric » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:16 am

There was a thread a while back about using skillfully placed tongue rings connected to various creative other body parts for keeping the tongue forward and out of the way. (the tongue-in-cheek thread???)

I don't recall any serious posts that suggest using the body-piercing technique for keeping the MOUTH shut. The engineering side of my brain asks, WHY NOT?

I can see maybe a couple of rings on the lower lip, and one through the nose in the regular place. At night place a teeny-tiny bungee cord (or something) to connect the three which would apply a force field in just the right spots to encourage keeping the mouth in the "closed" configuration. Any attempt to compromise the position would send negative feedback signals to the pain center of the brain, which would result in a "rapid learning" response, and the desired result. OPERANT CONDITIONING might kick in and cause great resistance to any impulse to open the mouth, even without said appliance, including actual perceived pain, yelling and screaming, etc.

No matter how stupid you think it may look, I bet nowadays nobody would even notice a modest few rings here and there on your face, tastefully placed. Or for the overly self-conscious, get the removable kind, just wear them at night.

Another serious benefit, when kids see OLD PEOPLE with body piercings and rings, they will abandon the practice outright. That has got to be good.
He who dies with the most masks wins.

Roger...

Post by Roger... » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:45 am

Breathing through my mouth was an avoidance tactic I used for a long time to avoid dealing with my breathing obstruction. Because of this I understand your issue and have the problem of not being able to keep my mouth closed while I sleep.

One of the solutions you’ll find is to use Duct Tape, but I’m not going to start putting that on my stubble because before long I might find not breathing isn’t that big a problem considering the sensation of removing tape every day. I don’t like the idea of putting a rope around my head to nail it closed, so I’m looking for an alternative solution.

Right now I’m using two nasal masks and I like them both. I recently bought a full-face mask and found I could breathe so much better with the larger chamber that I would like to find a full-face mask that won’t leak like my current mask.

My advice isn’t to avoid the full-face mask for the reason given, because I find mine, with all its leaks, is much easy to device for breathing and this translates to better treatment. Why someone would tell you it isn’t as effective as a nasal solution is a puzzle and should be questioned further to see if there isn’t a side issue associated with the comment.
Roger...

tomjax

mouth closed

Post by tomjax » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:05 am

Sorry, but I misread this topic.
I was so excited in hoping to find an answer to a life-long problem, But this was sleep related.

I was hoping to find a way to keep my wife's mouth shut while she is AWAKE.

Maybe one day...........

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:22 am

reducha wrote:I've been told that the full face mask on cpap is not as effective as the nasal one.
Don't believe EVERYTHING you're told.
You won't know the answer to this question until you try it for yourself.
Personally, I wouldn't even consider any other mask....especially a "nasal" one.
(But that's MY opinion)

Merry Christmas,

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Re: How do i keep my mouth closed during sleep???

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:01 am

i NEED TO KNOW HOW TO PLACE IT ON THE NOSE PROPERLY PLEASE REPLY

SMenasco

Post by SMenasco » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:24 am

Duct tape is definitely not the answer. Too harsh and leaves too much adhesve residue. Most on here recommend 3M Blue Painter's tape No. 2080. No residue, easy off, works good. No, it's not dangerous; you will not suffocate. Chicken Little was consumed with taters and gravy.

msla

Post by msla » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:39 am

I was a mouth breather and have used a chinstrap for 9 1/2 years. we went on a trip and I forgot my chinstrap. OOPS. I slept for the most part with my mouth shut and with no dry mouth. I guess I have learned, after time, to keep my mouth shut. Now if I could only learn to do this during the daytime, I might get into less trouble.

ResMed S9 Auto set/Heated humidifier/AirFit N30i
diagnosed and began CPAP treatment 2003.

Tino2You

Post by Tino2You » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:05 pm

I've been using CPAP and a nasal pillow for a bit over two months. I too opened my mouth during the night. I bought a chin strap and cinched it up good and tight the first few weeks. The past couple of weeks I've noticed that I've been able to leave the strap loose AND my leaks are not bad...there is hope!

Additional Comments: Autoset Pressure 9-15.6, EPR 1, no ramp
Tino

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:29 pm

This is a zombie thread from 2005

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

123.Shawn T.W.

Post by 123.Shawn T.W. » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:00 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:This is a zombie thread from 2005
Maybe so . . . but, obviously still a relevant question.
"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home." - Winston Churchill