Quantcast

Bookmark and Share
General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
HoseCrusher

Re: Where A CPAP Newbie Should Start

Postby HoseCrusher on Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:01 pm

Actually 2/5.6 = 0.3571428. By "rounding" in this case they simply dropped the additional decimal places.

SpO2 96+% and holding...

Pogiko

Postby Pogiko on Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:50 pm

HoseCrusher wrote:Actually 2/5.6 = 0.3571428. By "rounding" in this case they simply dropped the additional decimal places.

Yes, that would be possible that the machine is programmed to truncate instead of round off and just keep the first decimal. But 3 nights ago I had used it for 6.0 hours and a AHI of 0.4. That was when I first start to think that something was wrong because 2/6 = 1/3 = 0.33333... and that will be 0.3 both if you round it off and if you truncate. And 3/6 = 1/2 = 0.5. So the observed AHI of 0.4 is also an impssosible result and I thougt maybe I was wrong about the definition of AHI. So I started to look for a defintion and found this discussion and thought maybe someone could explain the strange number.

HoseCrusher

Postby HoseCrusher on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:30 pm

Ah yes, truncate is a much better description than rounding. Sorry for any confusion.

You are forcing me to exercise my gray matter, but how about this...

What happens if the machine figures in minutes and reports in hours.

Initially, you have 5.6 hours = 336 minutes. If you had 100 apnea/hypopnea events during that time, you would end up with 100/336 = 0.297619 as an AHI, which rounded up would be 0.3.

In the second case you have 6 hours = 360 minutes. If you had 144 apnea/hypopnea events during that time you would end up with 144/360 = 0.4, with no rounding needed.

What do you think about that?

SpO2 96+% and holding...

Pogiko

Postby Pogiko on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:14 am

HoseCrusher wrote:Ah yes, truncate is a much better description than rounding. Sorry for any confusion.

You are forcing me to exercise my gray matter, but how about this...

What happens if the machine figures in minutes and reports in hours.

Initially, you have 5.6 hours = 336 minutes. If you had 100 apnea/hypopnea events during that time, you would end up with 100/336 = 0.297619 as an AHI, which rounded up would be 0.3.

In the second case you have 6 hours = 360 minutes. If you had 144 apnea/hypopnea events during that time you would end up with 144/360 = 0.4, with no rounding needed.

What do you think about that?

:D Thank you for spending time on my math. I am sure that AHI is per hour, not per minute. But I think the truncation is the solution to the problem.

1) 2/5.6 truncated gives 0.3
2) 6.0 hours means more than 5.95 and less than 6.05 if rounded off, and at least 6.0 and less than 6.1 if truncated. So assume 3 apnea/hypopnea and acutual time 6.02 (shown as 6.0 rounded off or truncated), then 3/6.02 = 0.4983.... and then it is truncated to 0.4.

I guess it should be enough that the CPAP helps me sleep well, but when someone programmed it to give me this information every morning I like to understand what the numbers tell me and how many apnea/hypopnea I had.

So if not anybody else have a better solution I think we can assume that it truncate the AHI (and maybe also the the time).

Have a nice sleep. :wink:

HoseCrusher

Postby HoseCrusher on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:28 am

You are correct. AHI is give per hour.

I got the idea of playing with minutes by reviewing my sleep study information. They seem to record everything in minutes, then translate that to an AHI.

I am actually surprised that the minute calculations worked out as well as they did. Oh well, it looks like your approach is more realistic and the numbers seem to fit.

I hope you have 99.85273 years of restful sleep, and you can either round or truncate as you see fit... :)

SpO2 96+% and holding...

Zippie02

thanks...

Postby Zippie02 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:16 am

thanks, that helped me a lot!
regards,
chantal

Mask2fit

Postby Mask2fit on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:40 pm

Please could someone tell me what a DME is? NB: I am in New Zealand

Pugsy

Postby Pugsy on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:42 pm

Mask2fit wrote:Please could someone tell me what a DME is? NB: I am in New Zealand

Durable Medical Equipment

DME used here is in reference to someone who operates a business that sells durable medical equipment.

Additional Comments: S9 Adapt SV being tried now...not available as menu choice

Mask2fit

Postby Mask2fit on Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:12 pm

Thanks so much, it makes so many posts more comprehensible. What a strange thing though.

sleepysmurf

Postby sleepysmurf on Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:31 am

Thanks for the information. Im very new to the whole cpap thing(but not new to heavy snoring, since I was told I did it from infancy) So I think initally Ill be doing more reading than replying.

Postby Guest on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:05 pm

I have been having a problem with the system I am loggin and when I try to post it say username already in use use another name and then it signs me in as a guest. Please help

LoQ

Postby LoQ on Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:52 pm

Guest wrote:I have been having a problem with the system I am loggin and when I try to post it say username already in use use another name and then it signs me in as a guest. Please help

I assume you have already registered. If so, then you need to login via the login page; there is a link to it in the upper right corner under the "Chatting Live" thing. If you try to post without being logged in, it will not let you give a name in the "name" field that has already been registered. Either pick an unregistered name, or leave it blank. To prevent this, log in first before posting.

kaitlinsnana

Postby kaitlinsnana on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:49 pm

Just an introduction. First time here. I seem to have stumbled into a British site, but glad to have found you guys, happy to be here.

Hello, I'm in the US in metro Atlanta, GA. I'm new to the CPAP. Did better than expected with the one that covers just the nose the first week, but I don't like a lot of air conditioning and switched to the smaller nasal piece with pillows, the Resmed Swift LT. Worst night of my life. Maybe I just didn't get it on right, but the holes kept shifting and I thought I was dying. I finally gave up at 5:30am and took it off. I really want the smaller one to work, any suggestions. It came with three different sizes for nostrils; I'm thinking I'll try a different one tonight. I have a lot of reading to do.

Pugsy

Postby Pugsy on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:59 pm

kaitlinsnana wrote:Just an introduction. First time here. I seem to have stumbled into a British site, but glad to have found you guys, happy to be here.

Hello, I'm in the US in metro Atlanta, GA. I'm new to the CPAP. Did better than expected with the one that covers just the nose the first week, but I don't like a lot of air conditioning and switched to the smaller nasal piece with pillows, the Resmed Swift LT. Worst night of my life. Maybe I just didn't get it on right, but the holes kept shifting and I thought I was dying. I finally gave up at 5:30am and took it off. I really want the smaller one to work, any suggestions. It came with three different sizes for nostrils; I'm thinking I'll try a different one tonight. I have a lot of reading to do.

Actually we are US base site but have members here from all over the world.
If you will create a new topic about your problem on the main part of the forum more people will see it and offer ideas.

Additional Comments: S9 Adapt SV being tried now...not available as menu choice

Bigd

Postby Bigd on Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:26 am

Hello
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea a few months ago. My index number was 97. Apparently this put me in the sever category. I also suffer from depression. About 6 weeks ago I got my CPAP machine. I really strugeled getting my time up due to a number of factors. First I had air blowing out through my closed lips. I swiched to a full face mask but just couldn't get a good fit. As of late I returned to a nasel mask and a gag. An imperfect solution but it works. I have just recently got my time to 8 hours. My depression had disappeared! I went through every med known for depression, had 18 sessions of Electro Shock Therapy and been hospitalized 3 times for suicidal depression. I cant tell you just how much this machine has improved my life. No improved but enabled me to live again.
Bigd

PreviousNext

Return to CPAP and Sleep Apnea (CLICK HERE TO READ POSTS)