Opinions/Experience re the ZEO?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Opinions/Experience re the ZEO?

I purchased a Zeo and believe it is a great product with useful data output.
28%
I purchased a Zeo and think it is just so-so.
10%
I purchased a Zeo and don't like it.
6%
I am considering purchasing a Zeo.
29%
I have no interest in purchasing a Zeo.
13%
I don't know what a Zeo is.
13%

Total votes: 82

MaxDarkside

Re: Opinions/Experience re the ZEO?

Post by MaxDarkside » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:54 pm

Nate,
If something like this appeals to you, here is my Zeo chart from last night from their website, then maybe you'll like it.
All that "Wake" at the beginning is because I put it on well before I go to bed, while sitting at my desk (home office). My time to sleep is about 5 minutes, usually straight into Zeo's "REM" on down to the designation of "Deep".

Last edited by MaxDarkside on Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do or Die... Sleep Apnea killed me, but I came back. Click for my story
Please visit my My Apnea Analytics blog. Maybe we can help each other.
54 yrs, 6' 1", 160->172 lbs

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:56 pm

I'm not so sure about my own vote now. I was one of those who answered: "I have no interest in purchasing a Zeo". Now I'm starting to become interested in it... Sorry for skewing the results!

Papit

Post by Papit » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:15 pm

MaxDarkside wrote:
The lower half of this chart are the . . . (Zeo) waves plus the sleep stages (very bottom) from last night. You can see various formations in the data which, to me, are very informative. The top 2 series are my spO2 and heart rate from the CMS 50E.

Jay Aitchsee wrote: . . . The accuracy of Zeo can be debated, but I have found it very useful in establishing trends, like is my deep sleep increasing or decreasing? Or, is this medication reducing or increasing the number of awakenings per night? . . .
Jay
Max, Jay and any other Zeo users: For we who don't yet know how to interpret these charts, how do you discern from these example graphs any particular "stages" of sleep? "Open mouths"? I think I see a few, but am not sure. How many open mouths do you folks see, where are they, and what do they mean to you?

Mainly, I'd be happy simply to be able to pick out Stage 3 sleep periods and REM sleep periods. Looking at the pulse ox graphs, can anybody pick such stages out for us novices? Separately, looking at the Zeo brain waves, can anybody pick such stages out? ( If you'd rather post and use your own graphs for this, please do. )
Thanks.

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:32 pm

Papit wrote:Max, Jay and any other Zeo users: For we who don't yet know how to interpret these charts, how do you discern from these example graphs any particular "stages" of sleep? "Open mouths"? I think I see a few, but am not sure. How many open mouths do you folks see, where are they, and what do they mean to you? Mainly, I'd be happy simply to be able to pick out Stage 3 sleep periods and REM sleep periods. Looking at the pulse ox graphs, can anybody pick such stages out for us novices? Separately, looking at the Zeo brain waves, can anybody pick such stages out? ( If you'd rather post and use your own graphs for this, please do. )
Please note the chart I posted is not available to Zeo users, it is my own, you cannot make that chart using standard data from the Zeo without "hacking" it. It is better maybe to interpret their standard charts which provides the ability to "pick out Stage 3 sleep periods and REM sleep periods" as is your desire. I can pick out the stages from the brainwaves, yes, but you need not, just use what they provide as a good start (see the chart at the top of this page 2 of the thread. I got that off the their website and you get that web chart standard with the Zeo).

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:54 pm

Papit, follow the links in my signature for some examples of the info Zeo can give you. I think you'll find it a little easier to understand than Max's work.

Jay

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:13 pm

-SWS wrote:I'm not so sure about my own vote now. I was one of those who answered: "I have no interest in purchasing a Zeo". Now I'm starting to become interested in it... Sorry for skewing the results!
I am the other person (so far) with no interest in purchasing a Zeo. I already have a pulse oximeter that I just bought a few weeks ago and have yet to use because as suspected...the morning headaches have quit since I purchased the pulse ox. I knew it would happen that way. Headaches for 3 weeks and bite the bullet and buy the pulse ox (despite AHI less than 1 most nights) and I really didn't think they were desat headaches.....get the pulse ox and headaches go away without even using the darn thing.

I already sleep fairly well considering all things that are beyond cpap control and my data is quite decent and if my back didn't feel like I have been thrown from a horse and then trampled on...my sleep would be fairly unexciting and I just don't see what the Zeo data would offer me in some way to make me feel better. Nothing that I can see that would alter the way that I do things.

I am getting older and when it rains..my joints hurt like the devil. I don't need something else to tell me that sometimes my sleep stages aren't ideal. I already know that... So I just don't want any more "stuff" on me right now unless it will point to some miracle revelation that will point me in a direction that improves how I feel.

I like data as much as the next person but only if I think it is going to point me to something different or useful.

I really do need to go bring out the pulse ox and at least use it once. Otherwise a total waste of my money. I am afraid that the Zeo would suffer the same fate.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:19 pm

Pugsy wrote:I like data as much as the next person but only if I think it is going to point me to something different or useful.
That is an excellent thing to point out. I'm still symptomatic beyond apnea control and am still searching for both the question, and the answer and after that I seek peak "Day Feel" and personal performance, whatever that is. I'm not even sure yet, it's just a feeling. All I know is that I'm far from it yet. I'm learning some things, including that some things have no bearing on how I feel. The Zeo gives me another insight in my quest.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:44 pm

MaxDarkside wrote: I'm still symptomatic beyond apnea control and am still searching for both the question, and the answer
You know Max....I thoroughly understand where you are coming from and I don't blame you one bit for searching out all possible angles. If I hadn't stumbled on the BiPap last fall...then I might have a whole different tune to sing about wondering why I still didn't feel as good as my numbers said I should.
With the BiPap...I seem to have met the last hurdle which for me was the residual daytime sleepiness.
Why it works..I still don't know and probably never will know. I pretty much now know that my other problems are related to my age, my arthritis and stuff just unrelated to sleep apnea. It is what it is.

I don't remember when the Zeo idea first came out but it was quite a while back and much more expensive and the only way to get the data was with a subscription (more money) for the website service and it was way more money than I wanted to spend. Now it is much more affordable and probably much improved. If I was just starting cpap therapy and having issues yet to be resolved...I would most likely be wanting a Zeo myself. I have just come to a stage in my sleep therapy that I don't want to deal with another do dad on my head or another report to have to learn or any more work to do. I just want to "let it be" for the time being. Just me being lazy and in no way meant to reflect on those that want to go down the Zeo road. I have "other" expensive "toys" like the S9 VPAP for the sole reason of being able to use a 4 cm pressure support in auto mode...just because I want it and no other reason.

So if someone wants anything...that is good enough reason to get it in my book.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:58 pm

Pugsy wrote:If I hadn't stumbled on the BiPap last fall...then I might have a whole different tune to sing about wondering why I still didn't feel as good as my numbers said I should. With the BiPap...I seem to have met the last hurdle which for me was the residual daytime sleepiness
The funny thing is that no toy of mine will tell me if my solution is the same as the one you have found. If, for example, BiPAP is my answer, I may search the rest of my life, wandering amid the data and never find the answer. The best I would be able to do is to fine tune to a "local minima" as they call it in the optimization field. This is one reason these forums are so critical. We can see our challenges through the eyes of others, their solutions, and maybe make a leap to a whole another level of "betterness" and for that I thank you and ALL the others.

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:47 pm

Pugsy wrote:
-SWS wrote:I'm not so sure about my own vote now. I was one of those who answered: "I have no interest in purchasing a Zeo". Now I'm starting to become interested in it... Sorry for skewing the results!
I am the other person (so far) with no interest in purchasing a Zeo.
Ah... Here's why I'm now curious about what Zeo might do for me (see page 24 about SmartWake helping with "sleep inertia"):
http://www.myzeo.com/sleep/sites/defaul ... pCoach.pdf

I have sleep inertia issues on many mornings. Unfortunately physical pain is my sleep architecture wildcard. My staging and sleep duration do not work out the same from night-to-night for that reason. So I'd consider experimenting with Zeo toward minimizing my sleep inertia issue alone.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:01 pm

-SWS wrote:Ah... Here's why I'm now curious about what Zeo might do for me (see page 24 about SmartWake helping with "sleep inertia"):
Hmm... I always thought I just wasn't a "morning" person. Now it might be sleep inertia.
Let me know what you find out if you decide to go check the Zeo out. Due to the cervical spine and lower back thing and the meds I take I don't know how much of my not being a morning person is meds or just me because I have always been that way and I seriously doubt that I have had OSA all my life. Long story on that thing.

I am always open to new ideas and while right now my desire for further do dads on my head is rather nil...I can't say that I won't change my mind later. That is a woman's prerogative and I utilize it every chance I get.

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:06 pm

I'll let you know how it works out, Pugsy. I just bought one on Amazon.

I'm a natural night owl as well. But pain-deteriorated sleep seems to take my sleep inertia to a whole new level. If this works...

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:39 pm

For the uber geeks like me, I put up a blog post about where to get the info on getting parts and making a serial cable for the Zeo Bedside, "upgrading" the firmware in the Zeo Bedside and where to get ZeoScope, freeware for looking at your brainwaves (and goofy-ball EKG it you stick the Zeo headband in the wrong place ).
http://wiredapneic.blogspot.com/2012/03 ... cable.html

DrPepper00

Post by DrPepper00 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:34 pm

-SWS wrote:
Pugsy wrote:
I am the other person (so far) with no interest in purchasing a Zeo.
Ah... Here's why I'm now curious about what Zeo might do for me (see page 24 about SmartWake helping with "sleep inertia"):
http://www.myzeo.com/sleep/sites/defaul ... pCoach.pdf

I have sleep inertia issues on many mornings. Unfortunately physical pain is my sleep architecture wildcard. My staging and sleep duration do not work out the same from night-to-night for that reason. So I'd consider experimenting with Zeo toward minimizing my sleep inertia issue alone.

I, too, was interested in this. However, I have found it doesn't work for me. My alarm is set to go off between 6:30 and 7:00. On most days, it doesn't ring until 7. Long after I awaken naturally. My regular alarm goes off at 6:55. It has awakend me a few times. The only time the Zeo rang before 7, it woke me up at 6:30 from REM sleep.

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:42 pm

DrPepper00 wrote: I, too, was interested in this. However, I have found it doesn't work for me. My alarm is set to go off between 6:30 and 7:00. On most days, it doesn't ring until 7. Long after I awaken naturally. My regular alarm goes off at 6:55. It has awakend me a few times. The only time the Zeo rang before 7, it woke me up at 6:30 from REM sleep.
SmartWake was one of two compelling Zeo features that drew me in. Placebo effect was the other standout feature. Hope I'm still good there...