Onkor problem repaired

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cpapdork

Onkor problem repaired

Post by cpapdork » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:05 am

Those using Onkor may have noticed that file upload hasn't worked for a couple days. A couple people notified me (thanks!) and I've now repaired the problem. Sorry for the downtime.

I hope you are all doing well!

cpapdork

Re: Onkor problem repaired

Post by cpapdork » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:54 pm

There's been another problem encountered with Onkor. I've unfortunately run into some storage space problems with my hosting provider. The hosting provider generously provides the service to me for free, but Onkor is starting to store a lot of data (> 85 gigabytes).

I need to investigate some better storage solutions or pay for another hosting provider. I'll look into these alternatives and hopefully have a solution within 14 days.

However, the sheer amount of data is cumbersome, even if I stay on the same server.

I'd like to ask if users of Onkor are ok with having a fresh start to airflow data? This would mean the next time you log in, your historical airflow plots would not be available. Summary statistics would not be affected; only the line charts. You could of course upload and view plots for new nights. You could also re-upload past nights if you'd like to view the details for specific nights.

Please share your thoughts, as your answers might affect how I can move forward most quickly.

I'm sorry for the downtime in the meantime!

Lea_T

Post by Lea_T » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:59 am

I'm fine with having a fresh start. I have all my old data files and I can always re-upload them if I need to.

I appreciate all your work on Onkor!

leigh_palmer

Post by leigh_palmer » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:00 pm

I'm fine too; I have backup. Wipe the early files.

I have been keeping a copy of the "P-Series" folder using the "Replace all" option in MacOS X 1.7.3. Is that the correct thing to be doing?

Thanks for your efforts.

ace00007

Post by ace00007 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:03 am

Same here -- after a certain point, the detailed data loses value, so a summary is perfectly fine...

Thanks again for hosting!

cpapdork

Post by cpapdork » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:52 am

Thanks for the comments. I'll work on wiping old airflow info, then. I think about a week and it'll be up and running again.

bryansr1

Post by bryansr1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:12 pm

Sorry for late reply, but fine about wiping history, expecially appreciate being able to reload specific older nights if necessary. Your site has been a godsend to dealing with my sleep apnea.

windsurfer1979

Post by windsurfer1979 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:47 am

No problem with clearing the slate

mlittlegal

Post by mlittlegal » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:37 am

I'M FINE WITH STARTING WITH A CLEAN SLATE

leigh_palmer

Post by leigh_palmer » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:19 pm

There is no reason for onkor to be used as a long term data archive since all users have their own archives.

A suggestion: Make stored data expire a reasonably short time after after it was uploaded, say one week. That way anyone who needs to look at data over any longer time period can upload it to do so. My SD card holds 2 GB, certainly sufficient to archive data over a period greater than any sleep consultant could possibly need. Uploading long records would take time at restricted data rates (I am limited to < 500 kilobits per second), but it can be done overnight if necessary.

I am sure Mike has considered this alternative already, but we should let him know it won't inconvenience us.

SleepyCPAP

Post by SleepyCPAP » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:52 pm

I'm glad for the service you provide and feel you should implement whatever new plan will work reasonably for you to host.

Many thanks for providing this option.

-- SleepyCPAP

-- SleepyCPAP
Sleep study in 2010 (11cm CPAP). Pillows (Swift FX>TAP PAP >Bleep). PRS1 “Pro” 450/460 until recall, now Aircurve 10 VAuto. Tape mouth. Palatal Prolapse solved by AlaxoStent & VAuto EPAP 4cm, PS 3.6cm = 0.0 AHI

cpapdork

Post by cpapdork » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:24 am

No change is status yet, but here's an update. As with everything, it wasn't as simple as it could (should) be. Short story is that the hosting provider will need to apply some changes before Onkor can go back up.

I've set up the necessary changes and coordinated with the hosting provider. They will apply the changes soon, but no definite timetable. My guess is sometime next week.

I'll definitely look into something like erasing old ( maybe > 4 weeks since upload?) data automatically. And maybe an upload mode for just scores as opposed to airflow data. Thanks for all the suggestions and support!

danjfoley

Post by danjfoley » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:28 pm

Hi there, i'm a web software developer, and i'm assuming this whole thing is web based. or you wouldn't be worrying about storage space.

Here is my 2 cents on the topic. (i'm getting my machine on friday and i want to use your software so i'd LOVE to use it)

Some options for you:

- put the project on sourgeforge.net, thus releasing the source code, and others will be able to help you out. People like me then can download the software and run it locally on my own computer.. so you won't have to worry about my storage space issues.

- Use amazon s3 storage space, and start charging users a subscription fee to cover it. It's pay as you go, and it's cheap.. and i'm sure the people here wouldn't mind doing a paypal subscription to cover the cost of amazon s3 storage space.

- re-write the software such that it summarizes data older the x days old. Thus deleting the bulk of the data. We can detailed data up to x days. Maybe make it such that if you want to have more then x days of full data then you have to pay x amount of money for amazon s3 storage.

cpapdork

Post by cpapdork » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:39 pm

Hi all, I got news from the hosting provider that the updates will be applied this weekend. I'll have onkor back up shortly thereafer.
danjfoley wrote: - put the project on sourgeforge.net, thus releasing the source code, and others will be able to help you out. People like me then can download the software and run it locally on my own computer.. so you won't have to worry about my storage space issues.
It's already on sourceforge! http://sourceforge.net/projects/onkor/ You mentioned you're a web developer, so please sign up if you'd like to help. Myself and the users would greatly appreciate it.
Use amazon s3 storage space, and start charging users a subscription fee to cover it. It's pay as you go, and it's cheap.. and i'm sure the people here wouldn't mind doing a paypal subscription to cover the cost of amazon s3 storage space.
I use amazon EC2 and S3 quite extensively on some other projects and it's wonderful. However, I'd like to keep Onkor free because a) it's nice that people can use it for free and b) charging money for medical software add some different legal considerations.
- re-write the software such that it summarizes data older the x days old. Thus deleting the bulk of the data. We can detailed data up to x days. Maybe make it such that if you want to have more then x days of full data then you have to pay x amount of money for amazon s3 storage.
It does in fact summarize old therapy but doesn't toss the detailed info after a certain time. This was suggested also by a previous poster and I think its a great idea.

erreid

Post by erreid » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:07 am

Any news on Onkor website coming back online?