for all people who are still tired despite using CPAP, poll

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

for all people who are still tired despite using their CPAP, poll please

I am using Nasal mask (any nasal air delivery whether nasal, pillow or prong)
59%
I am using full face mask
30%
I am using Hybrid (or any nasal and mouth air delivery like total face mask)
6%
I alternate between between nasal or mouth air delivery
5%

Total votes: 235

torontoCPAPguy

Re: for all people who are still tired despite using CPAP, poll

Post by torontoCPAPguy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:31 am

Oh, gotta say, use a FFM and sleep like a log. Can never get enough sleep but when I get up am full of pep.

Fall colours. One of God's gifts. Life is fragile and short, savour every moment no matter what your problems may be. These stunning fall colours from my first outing after surviving a month on life support due to H1N1.

secret agent girl

Post by secret agent girl » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:32 pm

sherri

Post by sherri » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:09 am

Wow where were you when I started cpap years ago, i just figured out for sure by ct of sinus that I have deviated septum, turbinates huge and small jaw. So found a new ENT 50 miles from home and guess what I can breath now. Plus he does tongue coblation cost on that was 500.00

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:54 am

My sleeping is a lot better. Idon't take ambien anymore. I still have insomnia off and on and so on occassion, I'm still tired.
williamco wrote:OSA can be caused by one of three reasons: 1- soft palate 2- oropharynx (throat) 3- tongue

I am having an idea that CPAP might not be able to fully correct obstruction that is caused by tongue, for these reasons:

1-soft palate and throat are thin easy to push tissues by high pressure, the base of the tongue is the thickest component in the throat

2- the aerodynamic of pressured air going down in the throat, might push soft palate away (backward in mouth air delivery, or forward in nasal air delivery) and push throat backward in either path of air delivery , but tongue is the only component that relaxes downward during sleep so it needs to be pushed upward, no pressured air going down the throat can push the tongue upward in opposite direction of the air pathway, this is against physics, however CPAP can only work in this case by creating more space in the throat soft tissue by the pressured air but no direct impact on the tongue

However only mouth air delivery can push the back of the throat a bit more, because air is going in straight direction at back of the throat, opening more space for the relaxed tongue.
this aerodynamic can't happen with nasal air delivery as the air going down not hitting the back of the throat in a straight head on direction, yes transmitting pressure all around but in not as much as direct hit

Further more air going down (nasal delivery) might push the tongue down even further, while air going backward (mouth delivery) will not be in line of the tongue relaxation path, and will not push it further down, as air is bouncing off the back of the throat into trachea, might even push tongue forward.

the bottom line, I need to check if aerodynamic of nasal air delivery versus mouth air delivery inside the throat, has any impact of those people who are still tired. knowing that it might be many factors involved, so the poll might help to shed light by showing the percentage of usage in this group.

Thanks for participation

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:29 pm

I have used FFM successfully and now using nasal pillows with more success.

The only reason I may be tired is that I'm old and we old folks get tired faster
than you youngin's, that I may stay up too late and that I might be carrying a little
extra weight around that is unnecessary. I'm actively working on reducing the later.

Taking a 50 lb sack of potatoes and lugging it around with you everywhere during
the day will provide some measure of how tiring that will be... not that you or I
need to lose 50 lbs.

chap charlie

Post by chap charlie » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:58 pm

I have periods of intense sleepiness during "waking hours," mostly, but not exclusively, in the evening hours. I use my CPAP regularly every night. I am sleepy during the day whether I have gotten four hours sleep or nine hours sleep.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:08 pm

chap charlie wrote:I have periods of intense sleepiness during "waking hours," mostly, but not exclusively, in the evening hours. I use my CPAP regularly every night. I am sleepy during the day whether I have gotten four hours sleep or nine hours sleep.
You could register and list your equipment and someone would probably offer you some help.

corky

Post by corky » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:22 pm

I use a implant with a remote. (Soon)