Quantcast

Bookmark and Share
General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jabman

Re: Where A CPAP Newbie Should Start

Postby jabman on Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:12 pm

Hello all,

My name is Jason I am a very newbie. I just had my sleep study last Sunday and have an appointment this Tuesday.
I already know that i will need a machine but am not sure which one but I think it will be a CPAP. The sleep technician shared some information with me after my study and with that info I have been doing some research on what I should get. I all ready talked with my insurance provider to find out if I will be able to pick the machine I want, they said as long as it has a cretin supply code. There seem to be so many options I am not sure what to get and to avoid may I please get advice.

Additional Comments: Machine is set on CPAP mode/ Pressure is set at 12.
Psalm 150: 6
Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD.

"If God does not exist, one will lose nothing by believing in him, while if he does exist, one will lose everything by not believing. " - Blaise Pascal.

sleepnationtv
Also Posted As:
(dashcarabba)
(mustang66)
(sleepnationtv)

Postby sleepnationtv on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:15 pm

Hi, We have started a new weekly video show dedicated to help newcomers and current CPAP users find the best products and strategies. Check us out at Sleepnation{dot}tv.

maggie22561

Postby maggie22561 on Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:15 pm

I'm new here. Just got my CPAP on Thursday 7/15/2010. Still getting used to the nasal pillow. Thinking I may call tech on Monday and see about a different type of mask as pillow system is already making my nose sore.
I've been diagnosed with severe sleep apnea.
Thanks, Maggie

Additional Comments: Setting is 12

lbw

Postby lbw on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 pm

I am new to CPA
maggie22561 wrote:I'm new here. Just got my CPAP on Thursday 7/15/2010. Still getting used to the nasal pillow. Thinking I may call tech on Monday and see about a different type of mask as pillow system is already making my nose sore.
I've been diagnosed with severe sleep apnea.
Thanks, Maggie
P

I am also new to CPAP as of May 2010. Started using Opus 360 Nasal Pillows. Find using nasal saline lubricant around nostrils really helps with the comfort level and prevents irritation as well as help decrease leaks. I would give it a try before changing masks.

maggie22561

Postby maggie22561 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:06 pm

Hi ibw. I didn't see your post until this morning. That was a good tip, however, I went yesterday to the sleep center and the tech switched me to an over the nose mask. I'm very pleased so far. I slept great last night, no leakage and no soreness. I'm hoping that this new one will be a keeper for me.

I also noticed that with the nasal pillow it was hard to breathe out. I breathe much freer with the over the nose.
Thank you for your reply and suggestion. I still have the nasal pillows and will hang onto them. Should I decide to go back to usinbg them I'll try the saline lubricant.
Maggie

Additional Comments: Setting is 12

torontoCPAPguy

Postby torontoCPAPguy on Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:18 pm

OUTSTANDING post my friend!
In a nutshell?
-Get started on CPAP immediately regardless of what they set you up with.
- Join the forum and get educated as quickly as you can.
- Adjust your gear as you feel comfortable doing and understand your data.
- Have patience; this takes time.
- Be persistent and do NOT give up. You will get used to the equipment and to the mask and you will live longer and healthier.

USE the resources at your disposal and Jules' post is a great starting point. Good luck.

Additional Comments: Respironics Everflo Q infusing O2 into APAP line to maintain 95% SaO2; MaxTec Maxflo2 Oxygen Analyzer; Contec CMS50E Recording Pulse Oxymeter
Fall colours. One of God's gifts. Life is fragile and short, savour every moment no matter what your problems may be. These stunning fall colours from my first outing after surviving a month on life support due to H1N1.

jules

Postby jules on Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:37 pm

unfortunately I can not edit my original post and fix broken links and where names of things have changed but there is a ton of information up there on that top line here on the forum - new users area and CPAP wiki and Videos -

but please remember if you are new here, register so you can start exchanging pms, start your own thread below in the main forum area - and when in doubt do an advanced search for what you are looking for with the author Rested Gal and you might win the lottery

empezza

Postby empezza on Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:22 pm

Hi,
I thought the following links might also be useful to a newbie:-

http://www.resmed.com/us/presentations/osa/osa.html?nc=patients
http://www.resmed.com/us/multimedia/understanding-sdb-english-640x380.swf

The second link is very interesting as it tells you what is happening to you during the night without CPAP.

Wave

Additional Comments: Using ResScan 4.3.0.7081 software

snuginarug

Postby snuginarug on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:59 pm

As a current newbie, I find these two very helpful--

About what emotions people go through upon diagnosis
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54136&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

What mask/pillow is best for side sleepers
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54199&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Additional Comments: CPAP mode, 12 pressure, SleepyHead software

mmoore5553

Postby mmoore5553 on Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:18 am

thanks this is all good information. Some of it i did not know.

AllieKat

Postby AllieKat on Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:24 pm

I gave up on CPAP. I may have felt I was being attacled by the machine. I tossed the machine into the wall and woke up when the mask pulled off my face. This happened so often that my bedroom walls need to be repaired. And I am renting! I don't know how to explain the damages to my landlord. I couldnt breathe with the mask on. I would wake up and grab the mask off to catch my breath. My significant other finally took to sleeping in the den. The machine was too noisy and he was afraid that one of these nights, the machine would be tossed in his direction. He is probably right. The machine is just NOT the answer for me. But I dont know where to go from here. My sleep apnea is very severe, so I don't have many choices. Any ideas??

LoQ

Postby LoQ on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:50 am

AlliKat, in spite of the unfortunately chosen name of this thread, this is not the place for a newbie to start. You can read the first post in this thread for things a newbie might need to know, if you like, but you will get more help if you make this same post in a new thread.

brazospearl

Postby brazospearl on Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:02 pm

AllieKat, please don't give up yet! A LoQ suggested, post your story in the main forum. EVERYTHING you've mentioned has been experienced by other members on this board. You can successfully use cpap to improve your health, and we can help.

msradar65

Postby msradar65 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:25 pm

AllieKat wrote:I gave up on CPAP. I may have felt I was being attacled by the machine. I tossed the machine into the wall and woke up when the mask pulled off my face. This happened so often that my bedroom walls need to be repaired. And I am renting! I don't know how to explain the damages to my landlord. I couldnt breathe with the mask on. I would wake up and grab the mask off to catch my breath. My significant other finally took to sleeping in the den. The machine was too noisy and he was afraid that one of these nights, the machine would be tossed in his direction. He is probably right. The machine is just NOT the answer for me. But I dont know where to go from here. My sleep apnea is very severe, so I don't have many choices. Any ideas??

I feel your pain. I did my titration study last night and I feel the same way. I HATE this thing...and that was just that one night..most of which was spent, fixing leads, changing masks and trying to sleep when you are hog-tired down with tons of wires, hoses and crap.

I have not gotten my machine yet. Insurance issues. I am almost wishing they just deny it. It would be he easy way out. I already told the DME people that if there is any out of pocket cost...you can forget. I have ZERO money....and there will not be money to spend anytime soon. So we shall see....how this all plays out.

Additional Comments: Software: Resmed Rescan 3.14 and Sleepyhead Software, Pad-a-cheek Swift Barrel Cozy
Diagnosed 08/31/10. Titration 9/02/10. Started CPAP 11/01/10. Auto mode 10-15cm. Alternate mask GoLife for her. Back up mask Full-life full face w/Pad-a-cheek mask liner. Comtec CMS F50 wrist pulse oximeter. Sobakawa Cloud Pillow, Sleepyhead software

pickmeupeveryday

Postby pickmeupeveryday on Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:12 am

Hi Y'All,

I recently completed a Sleep Study and really enjoyed the Fisher & Paykel Zest (Regular) Mask. I could hardly tell I was wearing one.

Thank you.

PreviousNext

Return to CPAP and Sleep Apnea (CLICK HERE TO READ POSTS)