ResMed S9 filters - Standard vs Hypoallergenic [photos]

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dave21

ResMed S9 filters - Standard vs Hypoallergenic [photos]

Post by dave21 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:36 am

Hi,

My 12x pack of Hypoallergenic filters came through from ResMed so I thought I'd post a photo difference between the Hypoallergenic vs Standard.

Points to note...
1. The Standard filter I've used for two months, it's slightly discoloured although it was never as white as the Hypoallergenic filters.
2. The Hypoallergenic filter is much software and doesn't have the rough/course texture that the Standard filter has.
3. The Standard filter is much thicker than the Hypoallergenic filter
4. The Hypoallergenic filter should be used on it's own, you don't need a Hypoallergenic and Standard filter in your S9 filter tray.

Thanks
Dave

Torrent

Re: ResMed S9 filters - Standard vs Hypoallergenic [photos]

Post by Torrent » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:48 am

One can readily see the difference in porosity between the two, I'll be ordering the hypoallergenic one going forward.

Thanks for the comparison photos.

Torrent

dave21

Post by dave21 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:43 am

It's not quite easy to see on the photos vs with the naked eye, but if you look at the hypoallergenic filter (2nd photo) and look closely at it you see a pattern of white dots along the filter. The weave of the fabric in the filter is very tight. I'll probably stick with the standard filter for a while before switching to the hypoallergenic filters so I get use out of the current filter.

Judging by the look and feel of they hypoallergenic filter they might be much more susceptible to washing/rinsing. With the S8's filter it was so thick but flimsy you couldn't really do it that well as it could break apart but it might be more do-able with the S9 hypo filter. Whether it will degrade in catching dust particles more if washed I have no idea.

Arizona-Willie

Post by Arizona-Willie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:07 pm

dave21 wrote:It's not quite easy to see on the photos vs with the naked eye, but if you look at the hypoallergenic filter (2nd photo) and look closely at it you see a pattern of white dots along the filter. The weave of the fabric in the filter is very tight. I'll probably stick with the standard filter for a while before switching to the hypoallergenic filters so I get use out of the current filter.

Judging by the look and feel of they hypoallergenic filter they might be much more susceptible to washing/rinsing. With the S8's filter it was so thick but flimsy you couldn't really do it that well as it could break apart but it might be more do-able with the S9 hypo filter. Whether it will degrade in catching dust particles more if washed I have no idea.
============

As cheap as they are --- why would you wash one?
I can see that damp one would catch more dust particles.

But a 2 pack was $4.97 and each one should probably last several months.
Even if you changed the filter every month it doesn't seem it would be necessary to wash them.
I would expect them to fall apart if washed, but maybe not.

I haven't seen any instructions as to how often the filter should be changed.

bigk

Post by bigk » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:19 pm

Arizona-Willie wrote:I haven't seen any instructions as to how often the filter should be changed.
Every 6 months - says it in the manual. Same as for the S8. Depending on conditions of course. I set the reminder for 6 months.

Resmed H3i Humidifier
Swift FX
Mirage Swift LT Nasal Pillows
Activa Nasal Mask
Resscan Software with USB + Data Card
SPO 7500 Pulse-Ox
MedicMon Blood Pressure Monitor
Aussie Heated Hose

dave21

Post by dave21 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:27 pm

Arizona-Willie wrote:As cheap as they are --- why would you wash one?
I can see that damp one would catch more dust particles.
There's a lot of other machine filters that say they are washable, but they tend to cost more. Just thinking if you needed to wash them, then it's more possible than trying to wash/rinse an S8 one that would fall apart just by touching it. Just a thought....

sayvor

Post by sayvor » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:13 pm

Not sure if its too late for you guys but. i use a new hypoallergenic filter every 7-14 days. they turn greyish ... before i am thru ti get another day or two out of it, i flick it to shoot the dust out of it but remember the direction you put it back in the same way not to rebreath the dust, blowing. inward. my ins. co gives me two per month but i often need a replacement sooner. i am looking online for.a.propper replacement. i never had been given the standard. I only washed one once in a bind

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:18 am

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

happysleeper

Post by happysleeper » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:54 pm

Take a look at this site. http://www.cpapfiltersandsupplies.com/d ... &path=1_29
Bobby269, I just received my Resmed Hypallergenic Filters for S9 Series Machine today from our host site, CPAP.com. The part number on the bag is AG36855. This number is not listed on the linked page.

But, I did find that part number on this page of the same website (without the AG):
http://www.cpapfiltersandsupplies.com/d ... php?id=439

This is $1.35 vs. $2 per filter at CPAP.com. Thanks Bobby!

I find that I have to change mine every 3-4 weeks. It gets grey, which I think means that it's full. I have athsma and live in an area with very high allergen counts. I find that with this filter I have less nasal stuffiness at night.

Happy Sleeper

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:17 am

I know this is an old thread, but I had to buy more filters, and found this. It bears repeating. Thanks for posting the link to less expensive filters, and thanks for the great images by the OP.

jen4700

Post by jen4700 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:54 am

Replace a filter every six months?? I was told to do it every two weeks. That's a big difference.

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:24 am

If you live in a house with a sophisticated air conditioning system (electrostatic particle filter, electric) you will maybe be able to keep it 6 months. I need to change my filters each 4 to 6 weeks max, I live in what you can say is the county and the dust and pollen are 'au rendez-vous'.

I noticed an improvement on my sleep now that I put in the machine one of my famous N95 filters I was using the machine with an hypoallergenic filter for S9 and I was having allergic symptoms almost each morning at woke up, then I realized the only thing different was I had forgotten to put a N95 in my new machine (I had always one on my System One). Since I did it I wake up without the sore throat feeling I had.

jacobsbd

Post by jacobsbd » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:36 am

Do you cut a filter out of a N95 mask or are you talking about something else? Do you find that your N95 filters are more effective than the hypo alergenic filters designed for the S9?

Thanks
...I understand you've been running from the man that goes by the name of the Sandman