What's the best lube for nasal pillows?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Komodo

What's the best lube for nasal pillows?

Post by Komodo » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:34 am

After over 2 years using a nasal mask, I've switched over to the Swift FX nasal pillow mask.
It's only been two nights so far, and I sort of like the new mask, BUT....my nose hurts.

What's the best lube to use?

LoneStar

Re: What's the best lube for nasal pillows?

Post by LoneStar » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:51 am

The most common ones are Lasinoh, a cream used by breast-feeding mothers and found in the baby formula aisle. Then there's Ayr gel, found in the nasal/sinus products aisle. I found both of these too "slimey/slippery" and use Burt's Bees Lip Balm myself. It has no petroleum jelly in its formula so it won't harm the plastics in your nasal pillows.

Lisa

Additional Comments: APAP, humidifier on passover, heated hose
With xPAP therapy, do or do not; there is no try.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:53 am

Make sure top strap isn't putting too much tension on the nostril first. If extremely painful...that would be my first suspect. Loosen top strap a notch or two.

If just minor tenderness from something touching virgin skin you have several options.

I like Lansinoh ointment because it is a bit tacky, very little goes a long way, and for some people it helps maintain a better seal. Nursing mom's use it to help with chapped nipples.

Other options are Ayre gel, Astroglide, KY gel. Different folks like different stuff.

In general anything that has some lubrication properties to it is fine as long as it isn't petroleum based.
Petroleum based products can degrade the silicone. So Vasoline is a no-no.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Komodo

Post by Komodo » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:00 pm

Pugsy wrote:Make sure top strap isn't putting too much tension on the nostril first. If extremely painful...that would be my first suspect. Loosen top strap a notch or two.

If just minor tenderness from something touching virgin skin you have several options.

I like Lansinoh ointment because it is a bit tacky, very little goes a long way, and for some people it helps maintain a better seal. Nursing mom's use it to help with chapped nipples.

Other options are Ayre gel, Astroglide, KY gel. Different folks like different stuff.

In general anything that has some lubrication properties to it is fine as long as it isn't petroleum based.
Petroleum based products can degrade the silicone. So Vasoline is a no-no.
If my wife saw me bring a tube of ASTROGLIDE into the bedroom, my nose wouldn't be the only thing hurtin'!

Your hint about the top strap is a good one. Which is why I'm asking about the lube.
It's only been two nights so far, and I'm still "experimenting" with both headgear & pillow size. I'm starting out with the medium size pillows, which seemed to be the right size for me when I tested it out while wide awake. My overnight results say otherwise! Right now the top strap is as loose as it can be without leaking, but it's still pretty tight. I thought if I used some lube, I'd be able to loosen it up a little more.
Of course, I could be using the wrong size pillow too. I do have both the small & large ones too, which I'll give a try after several days of using the medium first.

FUNNY THING IS......it's the TIP of my nose that hurts, not the nostrils? I'm not sure if it's the pillows pulling up on them, or if it's the hard part of the mask smashing against my nose when I sleep with my face in the (bed) pillow?

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:53 pm

I usually mention the dual purpose use for Astroglide. Personally I think tacky with the Lansinoh ointment is a better choice but others here use it so I mention it. Same with KY personal lubricant.

If the tip of your nose is sore I really think the top strap is likely the culprit. That is what hurts when I have things too tight. Usually happens when I get new headgear and it takes me a little adjustment to get things just right.

I can easily slide my whole hand under the top strap and it not pinch my hand at all. Really very loose and I normally have minimal leak line on my reports. Course I am a small woman with small hands .

You might also think about the barrel cozy. While I never really had a problem with the silicone against my nose I did buy it last Feb to help with rain out in the nasal pillow (it does help) but I found I really, really like having the soft material against my nose. So I have used it ever since. I wouldn't be without it now.
http://www.padacheek.com/PACSwiftII_Barrel_cozy.html

Most common complaint with discomfort from nasal pillows is because they are too tight. Mine are actually quite loose but once they inflate, pretty stable even with my tossing and turning. Back strap is a little more snug but top strap if it is putting any tension on your nose to pull it upwards even a little..is too tight.
Sometime one notch looser works wonders. Once I have my mask adjusted just right...I don't ever change it.
Even this past summer when I broke my wrist and had to put the mask on with one hand.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:00 pm

I agree it sounds more like a fit problem. I use Lansinoh to improve the seal, but I feel like a boob when I put it on!

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:41 pm

LinkC: ---boob!

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:49 pm

LinkC wrote:but I feel like a boob when I put it on!
I thought you were one, taking at face value some of the comments that have been directed at you the past year!!!!!

SMenasco

Post by SMenasco » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:28 pm

Komodo, your problem was the same as I experienced. I used the Swift II for years. It has the tubing entering the pillow holder on one side, and can be converted from the left to the right side, resulting in sleeping on one side or the other. When the FX came out, I thought I would try it, since the air tube enters the pillow holder in the middle. The FX nasal mask made the tip of my nose really sore. My nose was too long for the design and yours might be, too. It's a design problem. Virtually all manufacturers make things for the average person. On the FX, there's a piece of plastic that will rub the end of your nose if the straps are tightened to achieve a good seal. It would even leave a horizontal crease in my nose. I could never get it solved, so I went back to my old comfortable stand-by, the Swift II.

Komodo

Post by Komodo » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:31 am

LinkC wrote:I agree it sounds more like a fit problem. I use Lansinoh to improve the seal, but I feel like a boob when I put it on!
Hey, I'd rather feel like a boob than feel like an ass using the Astroglide!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:27 am

Komodo wrote:
LinkC wrote:I agree it sounds more like a fit problem. I use Lansinoh to improve the seal, but I feel like a boob when I put it on!
Hey, I'd rather feel like a boob than feel like an ass using the Astroglide!
You boys are just incorrigible.