getting the aura today

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jcarn

getting the aura today

Post by jcarn » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:41 am

I'm a Breeze user .. I find it to be a very comfortable interface, but it takes some time to get there.
From comments on this board, I've decided to get the Aura. I figured, if the Breeze works for me, the Aura should be a piece of cake.
My main reason for getting it:

1. wife factor. I've heard that the vent doesn't blow straight out, but at an upward angle. Now I don't have to feel bad every time I turn over at night.

2. back sleeper. Every once in a while I like to sleep on my back. Got a new memory foam pillow and it's very comfortable for back sleeping.

3. quiet. I'm used to the quiet Breeze and didn't want to get the Swift because of the noise. Hopefully the Aura will be the same.

Gonna try it tonight .. wish me luck

wading thru the muck!

Re: getting the aura today

Post by wading thru the muck! » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:55 am

jcarn wrote:
Gonna try it tonight .. wish me luck

GOOD LUCK! ...You're going to love it!
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

mikemoran

Post by mikemoran » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:58 am

All great reasons to get it. Add in softer pillows and easier adjustment and you have yourself a winner.

No need for luck you will love it.

jcarn

Post by jcarn » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:49 pm

first night with the Aura .. not too bad.
I had some issues setting it up for my head .. seems you really do need a large melon for this to fit right. Adjusting the plastic rails and bending the wires helped a little. I ended up doing a little McGyver and taking the straps off of the Breeze, using them to strap the nose piece tighter. That prevented leaks.
I want to mess with the wires a bit more. It seems that if you bend them too much it restricts the airflow making it harder to inhale.

The main issue for me is my pressure .. at 13cm it's borderline for a nasal mask. But since I got the Breeze to work, the Aura should be able to handle it. I'll be reading other peoples experiences and ideas to make this mask fit a little better .. please add suggestions to this thread.

One thing that I like better with the Breeze, it provides a very strong air flow with less noise and easier inhales. Although the hard plastic looks tougher to wear, it is very comfortable. But .. my ultimate configuration of the Breeze took me at least a week, so I didn't expect the Aura to fit perfectly the first night.

I'm liking the Aura's possiblities,

more to follow ...

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:48 pm

Jcarn,

Many have used sections of old pantyhose to add extra pressure on the nasal seal.

Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:50 pm

[quote="wading thru the muck!"]Jcarn,

Many have used sections of old pantyhose to add extra pressure on the nasal seal.

L o R i

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:38 pm

Better to just bend the hell out of the wires so they make a good seal!

Jere

Post by Jere » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:05 pm

I am getting an Aura delivered tomorrow (or at least that is what UPS says on its website). I have high hopes for this thing.

The Swift gave me a sore in my nostril; hopefully the aura pillows will not do the same thing. My other back-up is a comfort classic (a misnomer, if ever I heard one).

"First rule of holes: when you are in one, stop digging"

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:14 pm

Jerry,

Only time will tell, but the pillows on the Aura have to be the softest of any of the nasal pillow interfaces I've ever tried, which are the Swift, Breeze and Aura. And you can always use a little Ayr or KY until you get used to it to soothe the transition. And if your existing sore gets really irritated, it's also okay to use Neosporin with pain relief in it. Good luck.

L o R i

Jere

Post by Jere » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:21 pm

Lori -

I have them both on hand.

Nice to see you again (you've been missed)!

Jerry
"First rule of holes: when you are in one, stop digging"

Ron

Mantyhose Fix

Post by Ron » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:22 pm

LI,

You meant to say Mantyhose... Correct?

In all truth, I have struggled with my love/hate relationship with the Aura for the past 4 months. I bend the wires at night until the airflow stops. I adjust it every which way all night long. Some nights it fits great, and I have no leaks, other nights it leaks like a wind tunnel while I flex and bend it into a pretzel while I "sleep". I love the masks comfort, but I am now contemplating the final solution... The dreaded Mantyhose fix. It's' finally come to that. Mantyhose it, or throw the Aura across the room some night and go back to the Breeze.

Ron

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:31 pm

Jerry,

Hopefully you won't need to use either. Let us all know how you like (or dislike) the Aura when you come to a decision. And it's good to be back (missed you guys, too).

Ron,

Mantyhose up already, would you please??? It doesn't even look like you-know-what once you cut the leg off of it. And you have your choice of manly colors to choose from. Doesn't have to be the regular beige color (I would have said "nude," which is a shade of hose, but thought for sure it would scare you off). You can choose a macho black or a respectable NAVY blue. It really helps if you find it moves a bit and causes leaks. Come on, Ron...there are no genders in CPAP, only hoseheads. And a few very stubborn ones at that!!!

L o R i

HappyHoser

Post by HappyHoser » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:14 pm

Come on, Ron...there are no genders in CPAP
I prefer to think of my "sleeping partner" Rebecca Remstar as being of the fairer gender, thank you very much!

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP

Last edited by HappyHoser on Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug
HappyHoser

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:15 pm

HappyHoser wrote:
Come on, Ron...there are no genders in CPAP
I prefer to think of my "sleeping partner" to be of the fairer gender, thank you very much!

L o R i

Snoozie

Post by Snoozie » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:10 pm

I guess I am one of the lucky ones, I have my Aura bent just right and have been doing much better with it. I have a love/hate relationship with both the Swift and Aura. Last night the Swift bugged me to death and I kept getting up to adjust things. When I don't care if I have a bad hair day, I wear the Aura. (Truthfully, if I wash my hair before bed, I wear the Swift, and if I wash it in the morning, I wear the Aura). The head gear still bugs me sometimes, though. I like both for the most part, and glad I can switch around for what ever suits my fancy. I guess I will have to consider the Activa for the next one, but that will be a long time away. I think!