thirsty at night

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
wolewyck

thirsty at night

Post by wolewyck » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:02 pm

Still a new user here (< 1 month)... the past few days I've been on a slightly higher pressure, based on a discussion with my current sleep doctor, and for those same few days, I find that I've been getting pretty thirsty at night. Any thoughts about what may be going on here? Trying to compensate, last night, I increased the humidity a couple degrees but it didn't seem to help much. Is it just coincidence that this seemed to happen at the same time as trying a higher pressure, do you think? Or maybe I just didn't drink enough during the day, the past few nights? Or is the humidifier not compensating enough, somehow, for the higher pressure and (perhaps) slightly drier air that is happening now that days are getting a bit cooler?

roster

Re: thirsty at night

Post by roster » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:27 pm

There is a good chance you are mouthbreathing which causes the dry mouth. If you mouthbreathe with a nasal mask, you can lose the therapeutic pressure and still experience apneas.

The appropriate solution for a mouthbreather is a full face mask https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks/full-face-cpap-mask.php

A few people are able to keep the mouth closed with a chin strap. (Some barbarians claim to do well with taping the mouth shut. )

BTW, increasing the humidifier setting may result in too much humidity which causes nasal congestion in some people. Nasal congestion can cause more mouthbreathing.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

wolewyck

Post by wolewyck » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:52 pm

Rooster, you may be right, but wouldn't mouthbreathing show itself as leaking? If so, I don't think (?) that's going on too much, since the leak numbers seem fine--i.e., 95% figures substantially below the red line, so to speak.

Also, the obstructive apnea and hypopnea numbers seem really good (<1), although sadly, the central numbers are not so good (5-11), but my understanding is that central apneas are a separate issue unlikely to be related to mouthbreathing. Then again, maybe I'm totally wrong about that also, since I am very much climbing the learning curve here.

a guest

Post by a guest » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:13 am

If you are mouth breathing your numbers will look good as the cpap is receiving no resistance. I would suggest that you are mouth breathing. Lots of info on this forum to help with that. Rested Gal will have all the links, bless her.

sleepdeficit

Post by sleepdeficit » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:13 pm

I have been on cpap for about 4 years now. Though my AHI is below 3, yet i have been struggling with sleep deficit snd thats primarily because i wake up sevetal times in the night due to night thirst. The thirst seems to rise with the rise of cpap pressure. Currently i have been advised cpap pressure of 13. Raising the humidity level doesn't help. After much tinkering with the pressure level i have come to realise that the thirst is created primarily by the air which is forced down the throat by the cpap machine. Hence, higher the pressure, more is the amount of air flowing down the throat and dessicating the throat lining and creating the thirst urge. And because of this particular problem i am yet to get my restful sleep. Any advice in this regard woyld be welcome.

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:22 pm

sleepdeficit wrote:I have been on cpap for about 4 years now. Though my AHI is below 3, yet i have been struggling with sleep deficit snd thats primarily because i wake up sevetal times in the night due to night thirst. The thirst seems to rise with the rise of cpap pressure. Currently i have been advised cpap pressure of 13. Raising the humidity level doesn't help. After much tinkering with the pressure level i have come to realise that the thirst is created primarily by the air which is forced down the throat by the cpap machine. Hence, higher the pressure, more is the amount of air flowing down the throat and dessicating the throat lining and creating the thirst urge. And because of this particular problem i am yet to get my restful sleep. Any advice in this regard woyld be welcome.
I would definitely suggest starting new topic with as much info as possible such as machine and mask used and pressure.
Do you drink enough water?

sleepdeficit

Post by sleepdeficit » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:31 pm

I have been using Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset with Resmed nasal pillow for thepast six months. My leak is within normal limits.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:36 pm

sleepdeficit wrote:the air which is forced down the throat by the cpap machine. Hence, higher the pressure, more is the amount of air flowing down the throat and dessicating the throat lining and creating the thirst urge.
Well, first, your idea there is *wrong*.

There's zero air at all being "forced down your throat"... If it were being forced down your throat... where does it go? Do you have gills?

All the cpap does is create a *VERY* gentle pressure to hold your airway open. (much less than what it takes to blow up a balloon... in fact, just as much pressure as it takes to blow bubbles from a straw stuck 5 inches into a glass of water.

Your lungs do all the work of pulling air down your throat, and pushing it back out, just like they do when you're awake.

Now, if you're leaking through your mouth, and using a nasal mask, then sure, air can be blowing in your nose and out your flapping lips.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

sleepdeficit

Post by sleepdeficit » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:39 pm

Is full face mask the answer to my problem? Can you suggest a comfortable full face mask?

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:48 am

Go to Cpap.com, click on Masks, Full face and look at the very many choices available, all with pictures, reviews, etc. etc. Everyone's face is different, so it's important for YOU to try on diifferent ones, and do it lying down as your face changes a lot then.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:59 am

sleepdeficit wrote:Is full face mask the answer to my problem? Can you suggest a comfortable full face mask?
A full face mask may or may not help the thirst or any dry mouth issues but it would help potential therapy pressure loss if the dry mouth and thirst is from mouth breathing.

We have a lot of full face mask users who still have dry mouth from mouth breathing and they have add in some sort of oral product for easing the dry mouth issues.
Using the humidifier even at maximum humidity doesn't always add enough water back into the oral cavity. It wasn't designed for the larger oral cavity in mind...it was designed to help hydrate the smaller nasal cavity.

So a full face mask may or may not help the mouth/thirst issues but it's worth trying and it will help loss of therapy pressure out the mouth if you are doing much mouth breathing.

As to which full face mask is most comfortable...this is just something you will have to try for yourself because when it comes to masks we all have our own individual preferences and what one person might think is the most comfortable mask out there...the next person might classify it as a torture device. :lol: We have no way to know what you might classify it as. Your preferences and facial structure could be totally different from ours.

What you might do is try to figure out if mouth breathing itself is causing the thirst/dry mouth issues with your existing mask.
Try a chin strap to help keep the mouth closed or even tape for one night to see if preventing the mouth from opening will stop the dry mouth. If it does then you know what is causing the dry mouth and then you can decide on how you want to try to fix it...like with a full face mask or chin strap or whatever.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

gmcateer

Post by gmcateer » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:43 pm

I am also a mouth breather and it took a little time to "train" myself to not breathe through my mouth. Prior to CPAP, I would wake up with severe dry mouth and easily go through a bottled water or more per night.
I still get a little dry mouth but it is a much finer grain, if that makes sense.

I could not do the full face mask. I've been using nasal pillows and that's where I get the best sleep and stats. I get a little leak now and then...but I've tried several different mask types and this still works best for me.

I would guess it took about 2-3 weeks to minimize the mouth breathing. It continued to improve and I do not even think about it anymore. Be sure to give yourself enough time to adapt to this...it is a very different way of breathing (obviously).
Machine: AirSense 10 AutoSet with Heated Humidifier
Mask: AirFit P10 - Nasal Pillows