Soaps For Cleaning CPAP Equipment

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
greyhound

Soaps For Cleaning CPAP Equipment

Post by greyhound » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:49 am

What kind of soaps (preferably liquid) do users use to clean their masks and hoses. The manuals advise not to use "solutions containing bleach, chlorine, aromatics, moisturizers, antibacterial agents, or scented oils"?

After looking at the ingredients of the liquid soaps in the supermarket, I'm finding it difficult to find any that meet this requirement.

Titrator

Post by Titrator » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:02 pm

Hi Greyhound,

You are correct. It is next to impossible to find a dish soap that doesnt have all of those ingredients.

You can use generic "No More Tears" baby shampoo to clean all your gear. it is cheap and easy to find.

What I have been using for years is "Planet" dishwashing soap. it is green friendly. I buy enough for several years at a time. Do a google search and you will find it online as I did.

Regards,

Ted

Kemosabe

Post by Kemosabe » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:16 pm

I like Liquid Neutrogena. It covers all the requirements, is easily available, and smells good. I squirt a bit into a short mug, swish it around with a wet old fashioned shaving brush until it gets foamy, then scrub the mask parts with the brush. Seems to do a good job and I'm fairly sure the brush won't hurt the mask.

DaveMunson

Post by DaveMunson » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:38 pm

I had to go look at the bottle. Tearless Baby Wash. Hypoallergenic. Ultra Mild. Equate brand (copy of Johnson't head-to-toe baby wash).

... is an extra mild all over ... cleanser ... it rinses completely ... dye -free, pH balanced and completely soap free.

Every night the parts that either need it or touch my skin get a bit of this stuff rubbed on it under water. Rinsed free and hung by the fan to dry.

Hawthorne

Cleaning CPAP hosesand masks.

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:38 am

I had used Liquid Ivory Classic, (which means the old original one) for 3 years now. It is very good and contains nothing that would harm anything on the equipment. I am Canadian so am assuming this is available in some other countries.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

Severeena

Post by Severeena » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:51 am

I have finally found Dawn Dishwashing Liquid without scent, no anti-bacterial at K-Mart. It is the Ultra, but I finally found a dishwashing liquid that doesn't have all the stuff in it that I cannot be around, not only for the Auto Spirit I have, but also for the dishes.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): auto

Last edited by Severeena on Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharon
Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not until thine own understanding ..... Proverbs 3:5-

Not all Masks work for everyone. Each Person is Different.

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:00 am

Hawthorne, I like the idea of Ivory Classic (maybe it's my memories of the 99 44/100% pure bar soap ads). However, when I went to the supermarket, I saw liquid Ivory Detergent (i.e., for washing machines) and liquid Ivory dishwasher soap. Which, if either, of them do you use?

53now

Post by 53now » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:17 am

I use Ivory bar soap.......after I wake up, I wash my hands with the Ivory then lather up again , then gently work my fingers around the cushion , then rinse with warm water, set the mask on my dresser (to dry).........no problem....by bedtime it's dry and ready to roll !

entire process takes about 2 minutes...been doing the same thing for nearly 6 years

Rich

PS I use baby shampoo when I wash my hoses/water chamber/head gear

Rodrugg

Post by Rodrugg » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:31 am

Whatever you do, do NOT use Borax! My Uncle Stanley did that one time and he regretted it. He had that mask on for about 11 hours and he started shaking and screaming and kicking all around. My grandma had to hit him with the flyswatter about 50 times before he ever woke up. When he got up, he said he felt like he was strangling and then he vomited about 8 times before breakfast. My grandma said he was stupid and you could kill a bear with enough Borax. Anyways, my Uncle never did that again, and now he washes it in the bathtub with Calgon.

Guest-Ramona

Post by Guest-Ramona » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:00 pm

I also use Ivory Classic. It's a liquid dishwashing detergent. It has a very light scent and cleans my mask very well.

FJC

Post by FJC » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:52 pm

I've been using the Johnson & Johnson "Baby body wash". Seems to do a decent job and is quite mild, with only a very light odor.
--FJC (Frank)
Having a positive attitude makes a huge difference in CPAP therapy - and vice versa!
Ride that loop!

Geocom

Post by Geocom » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:19 pm

cpapman.com has a CPAP mask cleaner that is terrific.

While I use Tucks medicated pads for my daily mask cleaning, I use the CPAP mask cleaner twice a week for a more thorough cleaning. It also does a great job at cleaning my wonderific Aussie heated hose.

It's great stuff.

JimH

Post by JimH » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:00 pm

I don't use any soap. Just soak the mask and the humidifies in water with white vinegar for about a half hour. I half to do the hose separately and I fill it with warm water and pour some vinegar in it and i do the hokey pokey and I shake it all about. then I rinse with hot water and hang dry it in the bathroom. Once the other is done soaking, then I rinse with hot water and let air dry.

JimH

greyhound

Post by greyhound » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:41 pm

JimH, for what it's worth, I just learned that Resmed recommends NOT using vinegar on their masks - just "pure" soap and water.

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:47 pm

ThatTree wrote:Paula Begoun makes a clear scent-, conditioner- and antibacterial-free shampoo that works well for cleaning my Swift and humidifier tank.

Another handy Paula Begoun product for CPAP users: Her Super Antioxident serum is great as a nasal pillow lubricant. No scent. No oils. A slippery silicone base. And when I had sores in my nares from the Breeze, it really seemed to help with healing.

My favorite mask wash, though, is Dr. Bronner's peppermint castile (which I dilute with 3 parts water). Hooked on it for the refreshing peppermint scent that lasts for days.

Grace