Swift and side sleeping

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Fred2

Swift and side sleeping

Post by Fred2 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:46 pm

I have been on CPAP for almost 5 years now, and I am thinking of trying the Swift mask. It looks like a nice setup, but it looks like side or stomach sleeping would be a problem. I currently use a breeze sleep pillows setup (with a dreamseal and full face that I can also use). I am also considering getting an ADAM mask. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

mikemoran

Post by mikemoran » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:51 pm

Some people have figured a way to route the Swift hose so it doesn't interfer. However I found with its side hose mounting I ran into problems unless I slept with it over the side of my pillow.

The Aeomed Everest Aura is the one I found best for side sleeping. There are no straps on your face and the head gear stays in place. I haven't seen anything recently on the Adam.

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:22 pm

viewtopic.php?t=4290&highlight=swift

Tridens came up with a simple cure for side sleeping with the Swift. It worked for me, as well as many others. If you scroll far enough down to almost the bottom of page 1, you will find photos of a very beautiful young lady who agreed to be a model and demonstrated how it works with the hose in this configuration (ahem, my daughter). Hope this helps.

L o R i

Jere

Post by Jere » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:20 pm

I use the Swift and sleep on my side. It really is no problem to sleep on your side. The only (slight) problem is the side from which the hose is attached, but even that is not a big deal. I find the Swift to be an excellent interface with as little apparatus on your face as possible.

"First rule of holes: when you are in one, stop digging"

jdacal

Post by jdacal » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:43 pm

I have no problems with side sleeping. I tend to sleep on my left side, so I just moved the hose over to the right side of the interface (it is interchangeable).

But even when I do turn to the hose side, its not a major problem. as long as you have a tall pillow that lets the hose hang off the side. I use the PapPillow which works pretty good for that.

kurrykid

Post by kurrykid » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:15 am

Sleepless on LI wrote:viewtopic.php?t=4290&highlight=swift

Tridens came up with a simple cure for side sleeping with the Swift. It worked for me, as well as many others. If you scroll far enough down to almost the bottom of page 1, you will find photos of a very beautiful young lady who agreed to be a model and demonstrated how it works with the hose in this configuration (ahem, my daughter). Hope this helps.

It doesn't look like those pictures are there anymore???

Dave

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:53 am

kurrykid wrote:It doesn't look like those pictures are there anymore???
They are. It's not the first set of photos. Those are gone, but scroll down further and you'll see them. They are there.
L o R i

yardbird

Post by yardbird » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:57 am

and a FINE set of pictures they are, I might add. Very helpful to me personally as I prepare to buy a Swift myself. And please do tell your daughter that it was kind of her and I won't tell her friends.

No... seriously. Very helpful to see and many thanks. I tend to be an "almost" belly sleeper that is kinda on my side and often wake up on my back even though I can't fall asleep on my back at all.

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:07 pm

Yardbird,

Thanks, I will tell Morgan what you said. We went through a whole long thing about this when she took the pictures and so many people made her feel so good about helping out and she was so happy to be have a help. But it can't hurt to hear it again, thank you. I even posted a REAL photo of her about a month or so ago, entitling it the "Swift Girl" viewtopic.php?t=5222&start=0 so I could redeem her reputation that she really didn't look like that in "real life." She is turning 13 tomorrow, so at that age, well, I don't think I have to tell you how important it is to look "cool," and those photos don't fall into the "cool" category by any stretch.

I'm glad they were able to help you visualize. She'll be happy, too, that she is still helping others on this sight in her own small way.
L o R i

kurrykid

Post by kurrykid » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:11 pm

Still not seeing the pictures...I wonder if there is a setting or something. I am seeing the pics for the avatars and such...not sure why I can't see them
Dave

yardbird

Post by yardbird » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:14 pm

Morgan is a lovely young lady and while I may have a personal bias in thinking that anyone belonging to the Loyal Order of the Hose is cool... I can certainly understand why a young person wouldn't KNOW how cool we are. (My sons are 19 and 22 so I'm vaguely familiar... hehehe).

And it is indeed s selfless act when we help others without regard to what the straps are doing to our hair or how scrunched up our nose gets.

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:14 pm

kurrykid wrote:Still not seeing the pictures...I wonder if there is a setting or something. I am seeing the pics for the avatars and such...not sure why I can't see them
Are you looking at the second set? The first set was accidentally removed from the server and I deleted them after I posted them to the server. However, my daughter's photos are still there further down on the first page. Just make sure you scroll down far enough to almost the bottom of the first page. Otherwise, I'll copy them and put them back on the server in this thread for you.
L o R i

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:16 pm

[quote="yardbird"]Morgan is a lovely young lady and while I may have a personal bias in thinking that anyone belonging to the Loyal Order of the Hose is cool... I can certainly understand why a young person wouldn't KNOW how cool we are. (My sons are 19 and 22 so I'm vaguely familiar... hehehe).

And it is indeed s selfless act when we help others without regard to what the straps are doing to our hair or how scrunched up our nose gets.

L o R i

kurrykid

Post by kurrykid » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:26 pm

Yep...I am looking through the whole thing. I see the heading and tiltles for the pictures but not the pictures themselves. Can you try to post a picture in this thread (any picture) just to make sure I can see it?

Thanks Lori.
Dave

Fred2

Tried to get one

Post by Fred2 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:41 pm

Went to my provider over lunch to get a swift, but they were out until next week. I figure I might as well try it, I have the breeze I am using and another one still in the box. My insurance will pay all but about $10 - $15 of the cost of a new mask, so if it doen't work out it won't cost me much and I can fall back to the breeze.

Thanks for all your comments, and Lori for the pictures.

Lori, you have a lovely and very understanding and caring daughter. To thank her, you can use the pictures for blackmail.