Where A CPAP Newbie Should Start

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
AllieKat

Re: Where A CPAP Newbie Should Start

Post by AllieKat » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:24 pm

I gave up on CPAP. I may have felt I was being attacled by the machine. I tossed the machine into the wall and woke up when the mask pulled off my face. This happened so often that my bedroom walls need to be repaired. And I am renting! I don't know how to explain the damages to my landlord. I couldnt breathe with the mask on. I would wake up and grab the mask off to catch my breath. My significant other finally took to sleeping in the den. The machine was too noisy and he was afraid that one of these nights, the machine would be tossed in his direction. He is probably right. The machine is just NOT the answer for me. But I dont know where to go from here. My sleep apnea is very severe, so I don't have many choices. Any ideas??

LoQ

Post by LoQ » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:50 am

AlliKat, in spite of the unfortunately chosen name of this thread, this is not the place for a newbie to start. You can read the first post in this thread for things a newbie might need to know, if you like, but you will get more help if you make this same post in a new thread.

brazospearl

Post by brazospearl » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:02 pm

AllieKat, please don't give up yet! A LoQ suggested, post your story in the main forum. EVERYTHING you've mentioned has been experienced by other members on this board. You can successfully use cpap to improve your health, and we can help.

msradar65

Post by msradar65 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:25 pm

AllieKat wrote:I gave up on CPAP. I may have felt I was being attacled by the machine. I tossed the machine into the wall and woke up when the mask pulled off my face. This happened so often that my bedroom walls need to be repaired. And I am renting! I don't know how to explain the damages to my landlord. I couldnt breathe with the mask on. I would wake up and grab the mask off to catch my breath. My significant other finally took to sleeping in the den. The machine was too noisy and he was afraid that one of these nights, the machine would be tossed in his direction. He is probably right. The machine is just NOT the answer for me. But I dont know where to go from here. My sleep apnea is very severe, so I don't have many choices. Any ideas??
I feel your pain. I did my titration study last night and I feel the same way. I HATE this thing...and that was just that one night..most of which was spent, fixing leads, changing masks and trying to sleep when you are hog-tired down with tons of wires, hoses and crap.

I have not gotten my machine yet. Insurance issues. I am almost wishing they just deny it. It would be he easy way out. I already told the DME people that if there is any out of pocket cost...you can forget. I have ZERO money....and there will not be money to spend anytime soon. So we shall see....how this all plays out.
Diagnosed 08/31/10. Titration 9/02/10. Started CPAP 11/01/10. Auto mode 10-15cm. Alternate mask GoLife for her. Back up mask Full-life full face w/Pad-a-cheek mask liner. Comtec CMS F50 wrist pulse oximeter. Sobakawa Cloud Pillow, Sleepyhead software

pickmeupeveryday

Post by pickmeupeveryday » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:12 am

Hi Y'All,

I recently completed a Sleep Study and really enjoyed the Fisher & Paykel Zest (Regular) Mask. I could hardly tell I was wearing one.

Thank you.

mikey1b4

Post by mikey1b4 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:27 am

Here is today's stupid question:

Can I buy a used CPAP on eBay or Craigslist and set it up myself?

Reason: I don't have $900 for the sleep study, but am pretty sure I
have sleep apnea.

My main concern would be the setting, but could I not start on a low setting and experiment?

LoQ

Post by LoQ » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:12 pm

mikey1b4 wrote:Here is today's stupid question:

Can I buy a used CPAP on eBay or Craigslist and set it up myself?

Reason: I don't have $900 for the sleep study, but am pretty sure I
have sleep apnea.

My main concern would be the setting, but could I not start on a low setting and experiment?

I know the thread title makes it seem like this is the place for you to start posting, but it is not. Start a new thread.

In answer to your question, yes you can do that.

Billy6

Post by Billy6 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:14 am

I got tired just reading that first post. I prefer the easy way--Do what the physician says "Put it on at night and take it off in the morning" and I'll see you next July

yuriart10

Post by yuriart10 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:36 am

Jules... love that first link you posted! Thanks for sharing.

cvstan

Post by cvstan » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:17 am

I now have a Philips BiPAP machine (last night was the second night with it). My mindset is still that this is a medical equipment conspiracy to get insurance companies to pay for expensive gadgets by inventing a disease that needs to be fixed with something that needs to be financed for the rest of your life. The respiratory therapist warned me the the CPAP company would be calling me periodically to try to sell me supplies. There is an SD card keeping track of my usage so the insurance company can decide if they want to pay for it. I have been constantly checking the therapy hours to see if I am "in compliance". This is annoying.
On the other hand, my sleep is really messed up and I promised my GP I would give it a fair shake!
Main problem is I am a mouth breather who found the full face mask painful. I am always congested so nose breathing is marginal. I am using the nasal pillow type right now and after 3-4 hours it feels painfully dry or the effort to breath keeps me awake. I will keep trying!

Oregon Gal

Post by Oregon Gal » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:20 pm

Hello Everyone,

Looking forward to delving into all the info here! I have just finished one month of successful use of my CPAP, after August diagnosis of severe OSA with score of 74. The first equipment provider was just awful, and after 6 weeks I "fired" them and had my presc switched to someone who said a mask should be comfortable and not leak. Now making fleece covers for the cheek straps to eliminate marks, and starting to feel more rested.

blue01@metrocast.net

Post by blue01@metrocast.net » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:29 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have been using the pillows for the last 5 years. I tried all the masks and returned to the pillows.
A thought, I use the machine 6 to 7 hours nightly, I have not woken-up due to breathing problems.
I use Advair in the morning and at night before bedtime. I have set the humidifier on 1 and
I do not have dry nostrils when I wake up. I wake up after 6/7 hours of uninterrupted sleep
and I know I have slept but HAVE NOT RESTED. I do not smoke nor drink. I quit smoking
March 1999 (also had a 5 way heart bypass at this time). I have moderate psoriasis, which
I have had for 53 years. I have mild depression. Last but not least, I am overweight.
I am 71 (have most of my teeth and I wear a hgearing aid).

As Snoopy says "old age is not for sissies"

Bless you all and have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Bob Bourne

geoman

Post by geoman » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:06 pm

I am a newbie. i am very pleased with the energy that i have received from using the cpap for only 3 days!

I have a question regarding my eyes. My eyes have felt irritated almost like i have an allergy. I am using a
full face mask and i made sure that my mask is tight so that air is not leaking into my eyes. i dont have
any allergies right now so I dont understand? Any explanations and solutions to irritated eyes?

Thanks so much, George

BusyLyn

Post by BusyLyn » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:03 pm

HI George, and welcome to cpaptalk!

This really isn't a topic where your question would be answered. The people here at cpaptalk are very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful, so I suggest that you click on the 'Post a New Topic' button and post your question there. You're bound to get a warm welcome and some good suggestions for getting adjusted to cpap.

Lyn
"That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

BrettAnd

Post by BrettAnd » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:52 pm

I'm just past my first year, this is what I've learned. Knowledge is power. Being informed and assertive will save you money and time in the future. That being said, lets start on some time critical options. Many states have a contractual back out clause. As an example, Wisconsin, if I recall correctly, is three days. That means if I buy, sell, or otherwise agree to any contract, implied or written, I have three days to cancel null and void that contract.
Manufacturer return policies gain you a extra back out. Many DME's use ResMed who have a thirty day policy. If you don't like your mask or machine, give it back, no charge. The DME knows that, the insurance ppl know that.
Is your DME a RT? They did their homework to get there and I would rather buy from them. Just my opinion, sosume. Get copies of your Doctors prescription!! I may add that a copy in DOC and PDF will also save you time and effort in the future. Most local print shops will do that for a couple of bucks, do it yourself if you know how.
That prescription, in hand, will allow you, by law, to walk in, or online, purchase whatever you like, where ever you like, within the realm of that prescription.
Read the fine print!! If you purchase items accross state or country lines the laws change, be aware of that. Talk to your Doctor after you framiurize with the products!! Many Doctors will allow you to get a better machine if they see you are knowegable and interested. Never settle for what they give you if you can get something better!! Again, just my observation. Dont assume the Doctors or the DME's are aware of what is out there to buy. Do your homework, familurise with the market products and ask for the better machines. You may need it in the future.