Anyone tried Speed Sleep?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Babette

Anyone tried Speed Sleep?

Post by Babette » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:27 pm

I'm actually thinking of this for my BF, who doesn't have OSA, but has a hard time switching his brain off at night:

http://www.speedsleep.com/

Anyone tried it?

Cheers,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

Uncle_Bob

Re: Anyone tried Speed Sleep?

Post by Uncle_Bob » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:45 pm

Babette wrote:I'm actually thinking of this for my BF, who doesn't have OSA, but has a hard time switching his brain off at night:

http://www.speedsleep.com/

Anyone tried it?

Cheers,
B.
No i have not tried it but would like to recommend this book.

Sound Sleep, Sound Mind: 7 Keys to Sleeping Through the Night

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047165 ... ss_product

Babette

Post by Babette » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:49 pm

Thanks, but he honestly doesn't have time to read it. He's working 12+ hour days, and just keeping up with his work reading is difficult. Got a pressure cooker job right now, and he has moments when he just can't turn off the brain.

So, he wakes up and turns on late night talk radio, and get all kinds of wacky info about UFO's that he then regails me with over breakfast.

LOL,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:11 pm

Many people I know use that kind of self hypnosis/meditation cds to help them relax. It really depends on the individual whether it works.

But don't check it out while driving! (No I am not kidding - I recommended a cd to someone who wanted help to stop smoking and her reaction was "Ok I will listen to it on the way home")

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:37 pm

Babette wrote:Thanks, but he honestly doesn't have time to read it. He's working 12+ hour days, and just keeping up with his work reading is difficult. Got a pressure cooker job right now, and he has moments when he just can't turn off the brain.

So, he wakes up and turns on late night talk radio, and get all kinds of wacky info about UFO's that he then regails me with over breakfast.

LOL,
B.
does he have a smart phone? like iphone or driod? If so there are lots of free and very cheap sleep aid type apps that are out there.

Babette

Post by Babette » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:37 pm

Thankfully THIS MODEL BOYFRIEND is not that dumb. A few before him, SOYTANNLY!

I've been trying to convince him to listen to books on tape (Ipod) in the middle of the night, instead of AM radio. But so far we haven't got it going yet. Just busy busy busy. I think if I want him to do this, I'll have to download it, load it to his Ipod, and then plug the Ipod in for him, and have it set so he just has to smack a button in the middle of the night.

No, he doesn't have a CD player.

LOL,
B.

packitin

Post by packitin » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:51 pm

I recommend a CD player with earphones. That's what I use.
Every night it seems for me that something different will work. Sometimes the CD, sometimes I opt for while noise, sometimes the radio (my CD player also gets AM and FM), and sometimes nothing. I also use the Wesley Sleep Program (a Christian program) at times.
Of course, last night, we had a thunder storm, and I lay there listening to the thunder in the distance - that was nice. (of course the rain helped also)
On a really bad night, I also listen to the radio show about UFOs, and other strange things too, so I know what you mean.
However the websight you gave is interesting and I'll look into it more. Thanks, for the info.
Jay
Resmed Vauto S Bilevel
Airfit n30

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:11 pm

Maybe he could read the book suggested above when he can't sleep.
jeff

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:59 pm

Babette wrote:and have it set so he just has to smack a button in the middle of the night.
Isn't this something one would go to bed with at the desired time rather than wait for failure to sleep? That's asking a bit much of a product. If you do get it for him, let us know how he does with it.

Uncle_Bob, I've seen that book recommended on here from time to time. What sets it apart from the standard sleep hygiene suggestions, making it worthy of purchase?

torontoCPAPguy

Post by torontoCPAPguy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:23 am

I used to try all the gimmicks as I didn't know any better. What has worked for me is good sleep habits (dark room, dead quiet, cool room, soft pillow, supportive mattress, comfy clothing for sleep, wind down time, no caffeine, no food at or near bedtime, evacuate bowels and bladder before bed, no gassy foods, etc.) May not work for everyone but this is a learning experience for many of us who have not slept in years but thought that we did. And I can assure you that speed sleeping and the like, supported by empirical data, simply are not long term solutions. Naps work as long as you don't make up so much sleep that your body doesn't crave it at bedtime. And we tend to go to bed around the same time each night; between 11:30 and 12:30 generally - sometimes a bit earlier if we can. Here I am at 3 a.m. because I had too much sleep yesterday and my body is not craving it, but I am reaching the point where I am ready to go back to sleep I think. I got sleep from about 10 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. and after a nine hour sleep last night my body is confused as heck. I fervently believe that at some point I will find my ideal sleep portion and will manage it every night for the most part. I think it is, funny enough, around 8 or 9 hours that is going to work for me and I look forward to settling into the routine. It will be six months now that I have been on CPAP and building my sleep hygiene and I am still at it. Gimme another six months and I will be on the money I think. The S9, I regret to say, has made a big difference over the S8's and so has Autoset, for me anyway.

Good night everyone

Fall colours. One of God's gifts. Life is fragile and short, savour every moment no matter what your problems may be. These stunning fall colours from my first outing after surviving a month on life support due to H1N1.

Rustyolddude

Post by Rustyolddude » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:09 am

Downloaded a track from Amazon called 4 Hours Sleep in 40 Minutes. It was 99 cents for the MP3. While it is a bogus claim in my opinion, it does help one to fall asleep. It's similar to the other brainwave entrainment stuff out there.

You can get some freebie Binaural MP3 downloads here to try before you decide to shell out real money.

http://www.acousticsheep.com/