ResMed S9 - ClimateLine and autoset questions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Cpapfan

ResMed S9 - ClimateLine and autoset questions

Post by Cpapfan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:59 pm

I have used CPAP (10-11 cm) very successfully for 11 years with nasal pillows. I currently use a ResMed S8 with a humidifier. But, I find my nose seems to need more humidification than in earlier years, and I get rainout whenever I crank up the humidifier enough to get really comfortable.

So, I am giving serious thought to the S9, because of the ClimateLine feature. My first question is: Does it work as adverised?

Second, the new pricing is so high, it makes the cost difference between CPAP and APAP seem almost trivial (about $50). Is there any downside to autoset (such as an audible change in fan speed between inhale and exhale?)? Insurance is not an issue.

Thanks for any help. I haven't participated in an apnea forum since alt.support.sleep-disorders on Usenet many years ago, and this seems like a friendly place.

jmelby

Re: ResMed S9 - ClimateLine and autoset questions

Post by jmelby » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:24 pm

There is absolutely no downside to getting the AutoSet instead of the Elite... it can do everything thing the Elite can do plus APAP. The climate control on the S9 works well if you set it to "Auto" (I guess I can only speak to that since it is the only way I have used it), but it doesn't really let you get more moisture if you want it... it decides for you what will give you 80% humidity for the air temperature you have chosen. You are free to set it to manual mode and set the humidifier level yourself, but then you could be subject to rainout again if the relative humidity goes higher than 100%. I suspect it works better than your standard hoses because at least the hose is heated (and you still have control over air temp in manual mode) and hotter air holds more moisture.

(yet another Jeff)

jmelby

Post by jmelby » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:27 pm

Cpapfan wrote:Is there any downside to autoset (such as an audible change in fan speed between inhale and exhale?)?
I'm not sure what you mean by this... it is the EPR functionality that would have a different pressure between inhale and exhale, and both S9 machines have EPR if you choose to use it. The difference with the AutoSet is the ability to use APAP mode where the pressure varies based on events... not inhale/exhale.

(yet another Jeff)

Nord

Post by Nord » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:44 pm

Cpapfan wrote:So, I am giving serious thought to the S9, because of the ClimateLine feature. My first question is: Does it work as adverised?

Second, the new pricing is so high, it makes the cost difference between CPAP and APAP seem almost trivial (about $50). Is there any downside to autoset (such as an audible change in fan speed between inhale and exhale?)?
I think you would probably be pleased with the S9... especially from the ClimateLine point of view and Automatic sensing capability. Although I have the S9 Elite... I don't think that anyone would suggest that there is a downside to the APAP (except cost).

Seems that your major concern is noise. There have been quite a few changes to your S8 to the S8 II then to S9. I think that you would find that there have been many stated and confirmed improvements in reduction of noise. Elsewhere in these threads are some comments on noises that the S9 makes and some are different but all are definitely quiet. My only comparison is to a Respironics M Series and I can tell you that the S9 "wins hands down" when it comes to quiet.

You should try to listen for yourself at your DME or if ordering at CPAP.com... then research these pages for a couple of days... there are many, many reviews and comments available.

Nord

TerryinTexas

Post by TerryinTexas » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:12 pm

CPAPFAN,
you ask a very good questions, and I hope I can help a little. After almost 20 years of CPAP use, I was in the market for a new machine and the S9 APAP seemed to be the answer to many of my ongoing problems including humidity control. My Fisher Pakel unit had a heated water tank, and that was better than my previous unit with only a reservoir with no heating. Anyway, got my ResMed S9 a week ago, but the heated hose was on back-order. I fiddled with the humidity control for most of the week and finally achieved a decent level of of moisture without rainout. However, was not really satisfied because the air seemed a little sharp to my nose when I inhaled, especially in the mornings. Yesterday I got my heated hose, and hooked it up and set it to Auto for last night's sleep and Bingo: pleasant, warm, moist air all night. No phlegm buildup on my larynx, no sting in my nose, no dry mouth, and in short, no problem. Living, as I do, in Houston, the humidity capital of the US, I had assumed I would only use the heated hose in the winter, but after last evening, I assure you that I will use it all the time. As someone previously said, you can further adjust the heat and humidity controls if desired, but the Auto set certainly worked for me, and, supposedly, it adjusts itself to the room temp and humidity in order to provide you with consistently controlled air temp and moisture.

Also, to share my experience concerning your question about the Autoset and/or EPR: I too was very interested in how this would work. Even though I have used CPAP since they were fairly new (When I got my first machine, Blue Cross of Texas called and asked me a lot of questions about what the heck a CPAP did) the S9 is only my third machine. My other two machines provided constant pressure from the time they were turned on. I was used to breathing against the pressure; With my first night on the S9, I was first very pleased to not hear breathing or exhaling noises or anything. Each night I still put my hand in front of the mask to make sure it is on...seriously. Whatever sound it makes is below my hearing threshold; The Darth Vader breathing noises are absolutely gone. (Depending on how sensitive your hearing is, your mileage may vary.) Anyway, because of the low pressure of the Autoset, and the EPR dropping the pressure further when I exhale, my mind had a hard time relaxing for sleep because I felt my throat closing and that set off conditioned responses to stay awake to keep it open. After two nights, I was able to start relaxing more quickly because I was beginning to trust the Force...er, I mean the S9 to keep me breathing.

Sorry for such a long response since I am a first time poster, but I am very impressed so far with the ResMed S9, and hope my reply might help another Apnea sufferer make a good decision.

Cpapfan

Post by Cpapfan » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:05 pm

Thanks to all who responded so generously to my questions. Will be ordering the S9 system shortly!

rhino60

Re: ResMed S9 - best price in Canada where?

Post by rhino60 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:46 am

I've been procrastinating on getting a CPAP machine and now that I'm off extended health plans, live in BC (formerly Ontario where cost I thought was covered by OHIP), the price of a S9 is about 50% more than what I was expecting. Any leads on the best price in Canada please anyone?

Otter

Post by Otter » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:53 pm

I'm not sure, but I believe secondwindcpap.com will ship to Canada. If they've got one in stock, you could get a slightly used S9 from them much cheaper than buying a new one.

But I suggest you start a new thread with a title like "Canadians: where can I buy an S9 for less?" That will get you a much better response than tacking your question on to a dead thread about the hose.

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:39 pm

I have a new S9 VPAP adapt. All I can say is it works very well for me. When I did my sleep test my AHI was 42. About 9 were central. This morning my AHI was 0.6 after 8 hours.
Would you buy anything else.