One bad thing about H5i humidifier for S9's

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Arizona-Willie

One bad thing about H5i humidifier for S9's

Post by Arizona-Willie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:09 pm

This morning, after harvesting my data, I refilled my humidifier. I opened the lid a bit too far and the darn thing popped completely off!!!

I had to remove the climate control hose and the nipple sticking through the back of the humidifier to get it back together ( I think ).

Have to be careful when opening because if you happen to go a bit to far it will pop off.

And, the latch is somewhat difficult to operate. Old folks with arthritis would possibly not be able to operate it.
Bad bad design Resmed.

Uncle_Bob

Re: One bad thing about H5i humidifier for S9's

Post by Uncle_Bob » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:15 pm

I was concerned about the hinges on that lid not looking good in my unboxing. And i've also mentioned the latch operation being awkward. Glad to hear its just not me being too fussy I hope you got it back together OK and I think your post should be titled two bad things about the H5i

Anyone smelling a Resmed recall
Uncle_Bob wrote: That black lump below the hose connector was tricky to take off, it covers the electrical connector for the heated hose. Also i noticed the hinges on the humidifier tank do not look very robust.

dave21

Post by dave21 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:22 pm

I was concerned looking at the back but in the past month maybe I've been luck (or careful) and managed to avoid doing this. The hinge does look very strange and that was the first thing that I stared at for a while when I received it before using it thinking (why?!)

Arizona-Willie

Post by Arizona-Willie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:38 pm

It actually wasn't too difficult to replace, but it scared me when it went popping off!

Fortunately, my fingers are still nimble enough to deal with the split ring holding the nipple in, and I got it back together easily enough.

But someone with bad arthritis in their fingers would be in trouble.

Both replacing the lid and operating the latch.

I'm wondering if there is a kill switch and the lid has to be in place before it will work. Might try it with the lid open to see what happens.
If there isn't a kill switch it might be better to leave the stupid lid off.

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:43 pm

Last night I unknowingly didn't close the lid completely. I pushed the On button, and heard a loud rush of air, and the LCD screen said "close your lid" (or something like that).

JStaggie

Post by JStaggie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:48 pm

Arizona-Willie wrote:It actually wasn't too difficult to replace, but it scared me when it went popping off!

Fortunately, my fingers are still nimble enough to deal with the split ring holding the nipple in, and I got it back together easily enough.

But someone with bad arthritis in their fingers would be in troublYA

Both replacing the lid and operating the latch.

I'm wondering if there is a kill switch and the lid has to be in place before it will work. Might try it with the lid open to see what happens.
If there isn't a kill switch it might be better to leave the stupid lid off.
If the humidifier is not sealed, the airflow will blow out of the humifier and will not reach the hose. It has to be sealed for the CPAP to function correctly when the H5i is attached.

dave21

Post by dave21 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:52 am

KatieW wrote:Last night I unknowingly didn't close the lid completely. I pushed the On button, and heard a loud rush of air, and the LCD screen said "close your lid" (or something like that).
I did this one night, I put my mask on and I don't know what propelled me to do it (I think I probably thought I hadn't closed properly) so I slid the button to open it and pulled the lid up and a rush of air came out.

I thought there would be an alarm noise of some kind but I guess the rush of air noise equally makes up for a lack of an alarm chirp.