Resmed S9 Auto - 1st night photo summary

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Uncle_Bob

Resmed S9 Auto - 1st night photo summary

Post by Uncle_Bob » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:43 am

Either Resmed have changed their scoring of events or i am getting better therapy with this machine, last night AHI was 0.4
But i have one main concern. I had one obstructive event of 25 secs, my S8 never let an obstructive event go past 12.

This machine has been reviewed before but here are my photos of the unboxing and of my results.

Step One

I got a regular hose along with the heated one and look at the size of the power brick

That black lump below the hose connector was tricky to take off, it covers the electrical connector for the heated hose. Also i noticed the hinges on the humidifier tank do not look very robust.

The water tank is easy to fill and difficult to empty completely. I did not come with a cover like my H4i did so you could shake it around to rinse without water flying out.

All assembled and ready to go but i need to add a hose cover as the hose makes a loud sound when it moves over my bed head.

Results, easily downloaded via ResScan 3.10 i just inserted my SD card into a slot on my PC.

Don't like that 25 second obstructive but my sleep hygien was very bad last night, i watch avatar in 3D until 11pm after a huge meal and good amount of bacardi and coke

And I woke up feeling pretty good, I didn't feel as though i'd been on the machine at all. Lets see how it goes ....

DreamOn

Re: Resmed S9 Auto - 1st night photo summary

Post by DreamOn » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:45 pm

Thanks so much for posting the photos and info, Bob! Looking good!!!

I noticed that at the time of the 25-second obstructive apnea, you also had a massive leak. Do you think that was mask or mouth leak? Could that have caused the apnea? I also noticed that at the same time you had a snore and the pressure went up.

Were you using the S8 AutoSet II previously? Were the median, 95th percentile, and maximum pressure results with the S9 about the same as with the S8? Both your AHI and AI were 0.4 last night. Zero hypopneas! Did you not have hypopneas with the S8 too? Almost all my events are hypopneas, so this intrigues me!

One more question. It's my understanding that the S9 tubing is slimmer. Is the rubber tubing connector the same size as a standard hose? Can a standard hose by used with the S9 machines?

It'll be interesting to see what happens over time. Thanks again for sharing.

~ DreamOn

twokatmew

Post by twokatmew » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:20 pm

Looks nice! I hate power bricks though. ...Where did you get ResScan 3.1? Do you know if the newer version works with older S8/S8II machines?

Thanks!

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:44 pm

DreamOn wrote:Thanks so much for posting the photos and info, Bob! Looking good!!!

I noticed that at the time of the 25-second obstructive apnea, you also had a massive leak. Do you think that was mask or mouth leak? Could that have caused the apnea? I also noticed that at the same time you had a snore and the pressure went up.

Were you using the S8 AutoSet II previously? Were the median, 95th percentile, and maximum pressure results with the S9 about the same as with the S8? Both your AHI and AI were 0.4 last night. Zero hypopneas! Did you not have hypopneas with the S8 too? Almost all my events are hypopneas, so this intrigues me!

One more question. It's my understanding that the S9 tubing is slimmer. Is the rubber tubing connector the same size as a standard hose? Can a standard hose by used with the S9 machines?

It'll be interesting to see what happens over time. Thanks again for sharing.

~ DreamOn
On my S8 i generally used a pressure of 7cm to 12 cm with an EPR of 3. Since my septoplasty surgery i have been getting AHI around 4.5 to 12 with AIs from 0.0 to 0.4, so previously with the S8 i had plenty of hypopneas.

Yes the tubing is slimmer but connectors are standard size at both ends so you can use a standard hose if you wish.

I also noticed that i used hardly any water out of the humidifier last night, that was with the climate control set to Auto. I'm going to try manual mode tonight.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:04 pm

Awesome AHI, Uncle_Bob!

Arizona-Willie

Post by Arizona-Willie » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:16 pm

Very good Uncle Bob.

One question... where did you get Avatar in 3D to view at home?

Didn't know it was for sale yet. Hadn't seen it advertised. Loved it at the Imax would like to have that one and I rarely ( meaning almost never ) buy movies.
One of our tv's is supposed to do 3D so it would be interesting to try it.

Waiting for my S9 autoset. Waiting .... waiting ... waiting....

Tracking shows it arrived in Phoenix a bit after 5 last night and departed Phoenix at 12:40 this morning.
No tracking info since then. And it's only a 30 minute drive to the Mesa facility but they haven't updated tracking info.

I've been through this before. They generally let it sit until the day it is scheduled to be delivered ( Monday ) so I don't expect to see it this evening.
UPS is always here late in the afternoon or early evening.

One time though the tracking didn't update until after it was delivered but normally it shows it arriving in Mesa and sitting and sitting and sitting and then finally shows out for delivery and then it usually shows up that afternoon.

I much prefer Fed Ex.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:30 pm

Arizona-Willie wrote:Very good Uncle Bob.

One question... where did you get Avatar in 3D to view at home?

Didn't know it was for sale yet. Hadn't seen it advertised. Loved it at the Imax would like to have that one and I rarely ( meaning almost never ) buy movies.
One of our tv's is supposed to do 3D so it would be interesting to try it.

Waiting for my S9 autoset. Waiting .... waiting ... waiting....

Tracking shows it arrived in Phoenix a bit after 5 last night and departed Phoenix at 12:40 this morning.
No tracking info since then. And it's only a 30 minute drive to the Mesa facility but they haven't updated tracking info.

I've been through this before. They generally let it sit until the day it is scheduled to be delivered ( Monday ) so I don't expect to see it this evening.
UPS is always here late in the afternoon or early evening.

One time though the tracking didn't update until after it was delivered but normally it shows it arriving in Mesa and sitting and sitting and sitting and then finally shows out for delivery and then it usually shows up that afternoon.

I much prefer Fed Ex.
Hopefully the wait will be worth it Wille. I watched avatar at the movies not at home.

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:48 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:On my S8 i generally used a pressure of 7cm to 12 cm with an EPR of 3. Since my septoplasty surgery i have been getting AHI around 4.5 to 12 with AIs from 0.0 to 0.4, so previously with the S8 i had plenty of hypopneas.

Yes the tubing is slimmer but connectors are standard size at both ends so you can use a standard hose if you wish.

I also noticed that i used hardly any water out of the humidifier last night, that was with the climate control set to Auto. I'm going to try manual mode tonight.
Wow! What a difference between your results with the S8 versus the S9, using almost the same pressure settings!

I wonder if the humidity control helped somehow? My sleep doctor told me that increasing the humidity can help with mouth leaks. I haven't been able to increase humidity above 1.5 or 2.0 without getting rainout, even with a hose cover, so I haven't been able to test that for myself. I have an Aussie heated hose coming soon. We'll see if that makes any difference in my therapy results....

I look forward to seeing your longer-term results. This machine looks very promising! I must admit that I have a bad case of "machine envy" right now. I hope you sleep well again tonight....

~ DreamOn

dsm

Post by dsm » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:55 pm

Uncle_Bob

Thanks for the good quality pics - very informative

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:24 pm

It would be nicer if the slimline and climateline came in 8 foot lengths. I agree. The six foot length just barely reaches.

Kickthefog

Post by Kickthefog » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:06 pm

I've experienced the same... my AHI on my S8 was always between 5.0 and 9.0 with mostly hypopneas. WIth the S9 my AHI is between .5 and 1.0 with NO hypopneas. I feel pretty darn good in the last few days also on the new S9 so the S9 is a freakin MIRACLE machine, or my mind has me fooled since my numbers are the best they've ever been. not sure which
Pat

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:42 pm

Kickthefog wrote:I've experienced the same... my AHI on my S8 was always between 5.0 and 9.0 with mostly hypopneas. WIth the S9 my AHI is between .5 and 1.0 with NO hypopneas. I feel pretty darn good in the last few days also on the new S9 so the S9 is a freakin MIRACLE machine, or my mind has me fooled since my numbers are the best they've ever been. not sure which
Pat
Numbers can't lie, can they? Your body can't fake improved eyesight if you need glasses. In other words, this really is like a 'better pair of glasses', not a placebo effect, right?

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:57 pm

DreamDiver wrote:
Kickthefog wrote:I've experienced the same... my AHI on my S8 was always between 5.0 and 9.0 with mostly hypopneas. WIth the S9 my AHI is between .5 and 1.0 with NO hypopneas. I feel pretty darn good in the last few days also on the new S9 so the S9 is a freakin MIRACLE machine, or my mind has me fooled since my numbers are the best they've ever been. not sure which
Pat
Numbers can't lie, can they? Your body can't fake improved eyesight if you need glasses. In other words, this really is like a 'better pair of glasses', not a placebo effect, right?
Numbers ??? how ? whats changed? Is this a "better pair of glasses" time will tell .... keep posting and everyone will get the picture

fiberfan

Post by fiberfan » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:50 pm

twokatmew wrote:Where did you get ResScan 3.1? Do you know if the newer version works with older S8/S8II machines?
ResScan 3.10 works fine with my S8 AutoSet II. Someone pm'ed me with a download location, I am happy to forward the info if someone hasn't already pm'ed you.

dave21

Post by dave21 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:25 am

I noticed Bob that your H5i is the fully integrated reservoir that you can't pull apart and clean the insides of. The H5i I purchased (UK) is the one that comes apart. I really like this version of the reservoir because it allows you to fully clean every nook and cranny of the reservoir to dry it after each night.