ResMed S9 Autoset - The Unboxing

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DreamDiver

Re: ResMed S9 Autoset - The Unboxing

Post by DreamDiver » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:02 am

Satsleep - Mine didn't come with a clinician's manual. Resmed may be preventing CPAP.com from doing so. Uncle_Bob posted a link to the clinicians manual.

Arizona-Willie - no swivel. The black 'bump' you're seeing next to the tube outlet is the cover for the connector for the Climateline hose.

Paul56 - Behold... the behemoth 90W brick. Well, it's about as big as the one for the M-Series Pro, but with more power, presumeably for the heftier capabilities of the humidifier and climateline hose.

Jnk - Yes, I think you're right. I feel like I'm suffocating at 7cm, so I'm probably better off with nothing lower than 9cm. The question is - I'd rather start at 10.6 and allow it to go lower if the machine thinks I'd be happier. Apparently this is not allowed.

Some morning thoughts...
S9 readout panel wrote:Usage: 7.1 hours
Mask [read that as 'Large Leaks']: 'Smiley Face'
AHI: 1.9
The machine comes with one filter. It's not the hypoallergenic filter. If you haven't ordered your machine yet, be sure to order the hypoallergenic filters with it. 2 for $5. Sort of pricey for stamp-punched non-woven fiber filter... The price has got to come down on those. That's just ridiculous.

On the lighter side, It's hard to call even the most respectable-looking machine 'suave' when the hose coming out of it is covered with a hot pink fleece hose cover. (Okay, it was a very cheap fabric remnant I bought from Joanne's Fabrics and made into a hose cover. I have others - all similarly whimsical, but they're all covering standard hoses from my M-Series Pro.) Still, the machine has a heft that is respectable, and it does look very good. I don't have it on the top of the night stand. It's on the lower shelf. It has a matte stainless steel look that blends with today's appliance trends without being flamboyant. It really is smooth. And I got one. Image

Oddly, the info and edit buttons squeak a little when you press them or touch them lightly. I don't know what the source of the squeaking is, but I think it's mechanical - not an electronic sound effect - an unforeseen design outcome that is merely quirky and does not affect the usefulness of the product. It isn't annoying. It just is. If you turn the dial knob too fast, it makes a mechanical 'zip' noise. I don't know what that means, but it doesn't seem to make any difference to the interface. Dialing slowly is probably better.

In CPAP mode at pressure 10.6, the system makes a high 'dwoop' sound, rising in tone over a 2/3 second period - sort of like a tiny bird - on every exhale. It is only barely noticeable. The machine is otherwise pretty silent. I have not tried it yet in APAP mode, since I'm still comparing it with my old CPAP. I'd like to know if others have had a similar experience. It might become annoying as therapy progresses, or it might go away as the machine ages. We'll see. It also makes a whoosh during exhale, but nothing so obvious as the M-Series.

I wonder if the 'cool-down' system in the humidifier uses a peltier thermoelectric cooling device, because within a few minutes the water went from tepid to frigid. You can feel the difference on the steel bottom of the tank. I suspect they cool it that way so it can dry out the hose some with as little humidity leaking into the hose as possible. Dropping the water temp to very cold would likely achieve this.

I tried putting the data into my computer as soon as I got up. There was no visible data log in the data folder! I think I realize now why. The machine's 'Sleep Quality' had been set to 'Usage' as default. I didn't change it last night. I turned it this morning to 'On'. Tonight, hopefully, I'll have data to report. Terms like 'Usage' and 'On' and 'Sleep Quality' are nowhere to be seen in clinician's manual. What were they thinking? Instead of 'Sleep Quality' how about 'Record'? Instead of 'Usage' and 'On', how about 'Compliance Only' and 'All Data'. There's enough room on the screen, eh?

I found the humidifer dryer than I would have liked - even with the humidity cranked up to 3 out of 6. I think I'll need to diddle with this. My climateline hose hasn't arrived yet, but is on the way. It's probably better to compare the experience with the slimline hose first anyway - again better attempting to compare apples to apples (with my M-Series Pro).

Even without EPR, the air transport was very much smoother than Respironics M-Series Pro. At points, I wondered if it was even on. I checked the exhaust port on my mask, and it was blowing air as expected. I experienced no aerophagia, as would be typical when lying on my side or belly with the M-Series Pro at this pressure. I'm impressed. Tonight I'll try my prescribed pressure of 11.0 and see how it goes.

When I first turned it on with my mask, the air came out toasty. It was nice. I could feel the warmth with my fingers in the mask exhaust ports. That was not the case with the Respironics M-Series.

The slimline hose corrugated tubing seems decidedly flimsy. I've elbowed my standard hoses several times before and never put a dent in one - and I have several. While I have not attempted to dent the slimline hose, when I press the diameter of it between my fingers like a grape, it seems to me I could crush it like cardboard. I could be wrong, and I'd rather not find out while I'm turning over on my elbow one night. The hose is light, so it's probably excellent for travel. It's also a little short for my taste. I like a longer hose. We'll see how it goes.

The bag... On first holding it, it seems thin and flimsy. I'm not sure how it will hold up. It's definitely meant to stay with you as carry-on. It couldn't be checked. It may simply be that every consideration went into lightness for travel. It really is light. The compartment where the manuals go is sewed three inches in from one side, with the remain pocket space sewn shut. That makes no sense to me. The manuals aren't going to move that much when it's all zipped up. It might have been nice to have the extra space for other flat items. Other than that, the design of the bag is entirely brilliant. I get the impression someone might have actually designed the bag while using a prototype of the machine for themselves. The only other consideration might have been nice to have space for a liter water bottle like the one SleepGuy offers.

Some screen captures of ResScan 3.1 doing its thing...

Clicking on the 'start' button at the top brings me to my patient page:

I clicked 'Download Data' and it took just a few seconds. Then I clicked 'Review Data'.
This is the screen that came up about statistics below.
I'm paying particular attention to the 1.4 AI with emphasis in red that they're all centrals. Hmmm... I'd be less worried if I thought I had major leak lines, but I've got that down pat, as evidenced by my leak line graphs from the M-Series Pro. Image

This is the 'summary graphs' view. I hovered over the 'Usage' data to bring up the popup about mask events.

Obviously, I have no detailed graphs for last night, considering it was not set to record details. More tomorrow.

For those concerned about the central apnea detection method, I was not able to sense any difference in pressure. The frequency/amplitude or combination they use may be too high or low for humans to detect while asleep. I don't know. Nothing woke me during the night until the bathroom break.

So those are my first impressions after the first night.

jmelby

Post by jmelby » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:20 am

The ResMed software does not download the detail data by default (even if you select "All" data on the initial screen). See:

viewtopic/t49793/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49 ... 57#p456357

(yet another Jeff)

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:47 am

jmelby wrote:The ResMed software does not download the detail data by default (even if you select "All" data on the initial screen). See:

I bet the data is on the card, it's really only the download instruction issue in ResScan.

By the way, Uncle_Bob's link is the ResScan manual, not to the machine's provider's (clinician's) manual.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:32 am

jmelby wrote:The ResMed software does not download the detail data by default (even if you select "All" data on the initial screen). See:

ozij wrote: I bet the data is on the card, it's really only the download instruction issue in ResScan.

By the way, Uncle_Bob's link is the ResScan manual, not to the machine's provider's (clinician's) manual.

O.
Okay,
I'll definitely check that next time. But even so, the data wasn't on the card. There are five documents, totalling 9KB and an empty 'DATALOG' folder. 9KB would just be enough data to account for what did show up on my screen at download this morning.

Has anyone got a link to the clinician's manual? I got the 'Welcome Guide', an 'Information Guide', and a card mailer. That's it. No DVD or CD.

jnk

Post by jnk » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:57 am

Previouis versions of ResMed machines with efficacy data wrote the data to the internal memory of the machine during the night and only used a card as one way to transfer a copy of that data to a computer. I assume, and hope, the S9's work that way too.

Doesn't ResScan 3.10 come with a pdf manual for the software? I assume that would cover data transfer.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:50 pm

DreamDiver wrote:Satsleep - Mine didn't come with a clinician's manual. Resmed may be preventing CPAP.com from doing so. Uncle_Bob posted a link to the clinicians manual.
Thanks for all the info on the S9 DreamDiver, mine is due to arrive today.

That link i posted was the clinicians manual for ResScan 3.10 and not the S9 itself. So far i have found no evidence that a clinicians manual for the S9 even exists, but if it does its probably only a matter of time before we get hold of it

The ResScan clinicians manual does explain how to alter the S9 settings such as pressure and EPR etc via the SD card. But i see people are posting how to access the clinical mode now via the buttons/dial on the machine itself anyway.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:51 pm

jnk wrote:Previouis versions of ResMed machines with efficacy data wrote the data to the internal memory of the machine during the night and only used a card as one way to transfer a copy of that data to a computer. I assume, and hope, the S9's work that way too.

Doesn't ResScan 3.10 come with a pdf manual for the software? I assume that would cover data transfer.
Yes it does and yes it does

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:27 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:Thanks for all the info on the S9 DreamDiver, mine is due to arrive today.

That link i posted was the clinicians manual for ResScan 3.10 and not the S9 itself. So far i have found no evidence that a clinicians manual for the S9 even exists, but if it does its probably only a matter of time before we get hold of it

The ResScan clinicians manual does explain how to alter the S9 settings such as pressure and EPR etc via the SD card. But i see people are posting how to access the clinical mode now via the buttons/dial on the machine itself anyway.
I have not been able to find anything that covers the 'Sleep Quality' settings 'Usage' and 'On' in any manual. I suspect the default is usage - translating to 'Record only compliance data'. I think you have to change it to 'On' in order to log full data. We'll see tonight, eh?

Jnk - thanks for the reminder about the ResScan manual. I looked through it cover to cover. It's pretty much 'Stick the card in the reader. Select the reader. Download. Save. Unplug the card reader safely.' That's about it.

Here's the info from the manual:
Download Procedure
Select Download from the Download menu, or click the Download Data button on the Start
screen. The Download Data dialog box is displayed.
Figure 8: Download data dialog box [picture not shown here.]
Note: If a patient file is not open you will be prompted to open or create one, or proceed
without one. If you choose to proceed without a patient file, any downloaded data cannot be
saved.
ResScan automatically detects connected devices (flow generators or data cards).
If the details in the dialog box are correct, click Start Download. If you want to select the data
type, click the Select button next to the Data field.
If more than one flow generator or data device is connected, click the Select button next to the
Device field and select the device to download.
The Typical Download Times field displays an estimate of the time it would typically take to
download data, according to the details in the Device and Data fields.
A colored progress bar, download messages, and a percentage progress indicator are displayed
during the download.
When the download has finished, click the Close button and view the data in the Review
screen.
Note: Download times may vary depending on the flow generator and data stored. Typically,
it’s between 1–7 minutes.
And the part about card removal:
PCMCIA Card Reader or SD Card Reader
1. Click on the Unplug or Eject Hardware icon in the taskbar.
2. Select the SmartMedia card reader or SD Card reader from the list.
3. Wait for the Safe to Remove Hardware message and then remove the SmartMedia card or
SD card from the card reader.
That's about par for any SD card reader, though on WinXP, I rarely have to hit the 'unplug media' button in the systray.

Has it arrived yet Uncle_Bob?

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:40 pm

DreamDiver wrote: Has it arrived yet Uncle_Bob?
Oh yeah its here

preemiern

Post by preemiern » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:54 pm

I'm actually thinking that the only way to change settings is through the software. Have you found any different Dreamdiver? I go into the clinical menu on the machine, but don't see where you can change settings on the machine.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways,chocolate in hand,body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming “WOO-HOO what a ride!

wilsonliu

Post by wilsonliu » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:00 pm

I am new to use S9 Elite and have installed ResScan 3.7. I am also using an universal USB card reader to load data from SD card. However, I cannot get the card reader connected in ResScan. I can broswe the folder and files on SD card in Windows 7. What could be the issue? Do I have to RedMed card reader? Thanks.

ozij

Post by ozij » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:03 pm

You need ResScan 3.10 (10 is more than 7).

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Nord

Post by Nord » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:27 pm

wilsonliu wrote:I am new to use S9 Elite and have installed ResScan 3.7. I am also using an universal USB card reader to load data from SD card. However, I cannot get the card reader connected in ResScan. I can broswe the folder and files on SD card in Windows 7. What could be the issue? Do I have to RedMed card reader? Thanks.
Your "universal USB card reader" is fine...
Win 7 probably is OK for ResScan 3.10 but it is NOT listed as part of the basic requirements. Most here seem to using XP or some variant of that. If you are just starting out and need help with your new S9... perhaps you should register and list all your equipment. Then if you have questions about your therapy... people will need to know your "conditions" and the data that you have collected that point out your concern.

Hope that helps...

Nord