Woke up without my mask on. What gives?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bighead

Woke up without my mask on. What gives?

Post by bighead » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:55 am

So, I've been using my machine for about 10 days now, and the difference is ASTOUNDING. I'm currently running 7cm pressure, and since night #1 (Dec. 4), I've been feeling like a new man in the morning. It's also helped me kick my energy drink habit! But to the important part:

Last night, it seems as if I took off my mask or had a pillow fall onto the tubing and it pulled my mask off while sleeping. My machine was not pushing air, and was in standby mode. I have zero recollection of taking my mask off and turning off the CPAP.

My question is: is this typical? My suspicion is that I just need to change my sleeping arrangement, pillow-wise. I have extras that attempt to minimize my rolling around, but maybe this is no longer the best solution. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

PS: This forum is fantastic. Thanks for everyone's tips and suggestions. I hope this will be a huge life changer!

harry33

Re: Woke up without my mask on. What gives?

Post by harry33 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:52 pm

its very common for new CPAP users toi take mask off in sleep, I did it

you can tape mask to face so the pain will remind you to leave it on

glad you are doing well, I also feel much better on waking
some CPAPs have an alarm to warn when mask is off, mine didnt
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored

SageTheFool

Post by SageTheFool » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:44 pm

The alarm feature is a nice one. Have it on my second machine (ResMed) and it's made a real difference. I don't have a problem with unconsciously removing my mask, but the machine senses even if the mask is just leaking (which happens to me more frequently) and thus not supplying sufficient pressure. The alarm is enough to wake me up so I can readjust the mask.

Snorebert

Post by Snorebert » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:27 pm

I've been on CPAP for over a year now. In the beginning, it happened a few times. Every once in a while, it has happened again. Now it seems to be related to congestion.

There many ideas posted on this forum including suggestions for hose management and special pillows. Go at it slowly as there is no single solution that works for everyone. You might want to document your equipment as part of your profile so suggestions can be better tailored to your mask and machine.

But it sounds like you are doing great! Keep it up!
There are two rules of life. The first is don't tell everything that you know.

nobody

Post by nobody » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:11 am

Yeah I've done that a couple of times. I woke up and the machine was off and mask off and I was thinking what the heck??? I went to bed with the thing on ! Thankfully I don't do it regularly, but I have heard of some people who do.

montana user

Post by montana user » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:57 am

This is very common! I work in a sleep lab and watch people do it almost every night I have a titration study! It takes some practice, but you will get to the point where you will wear it all night! I also wear one and would wake up with the mask on, but the CPAP machine OFF! It took me about 2 weeks and it hasn't happened since!

TWW

Post by TWW » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:04 am

Hey, Montana -- go easy on the exclamation points. There are only so many of 'em, you know.

nobody

Post by nobody » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:53 am

TWW wrote:Hey, Montana -- go easy on the exclamation points. There are only so many of 'em, you know.
My computer came with an unlimited supply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dayanara

rJwrvjvqpcZAKlAtRW

Post by Dayanara » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:41 pm

Very valid, pithy, sucicnct, and on point. WD.