First 2 Nights With Swift LT

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
glamborn

Re: First 2 Nights With Swift LT

Post by glamborn » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:22 pm

One thing no one has suggested that I found helpful was to get some rubber o-rings and slip them over the cushions so they provide some added support. With this setup I'm able to pull the straps tight enough to keep the cushions from shifting and leaking while still keeping the bulbous base part of the cushion from coming into contact with the tip of my nose. The o-rings I use are a snug fit on the connector section between the base section and the cushions themselves but not so tight as to collapse the connection tube.

PAPalogical

Post by PAPalogical » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:08 pm

Sounds like you don't use a hose-hanger. I made one after switching to the pillows, for same reason as you - if the hose flopped off the edge of the bed, it pulled the mask too much.

Here's RestedGal's compendium of solutions - I did the home-made PVC version and it helps a bunch:
viewtopic.php?t=10640

Last idea - when you put it on and it's in the right angle, if you hold it with your hand, are you pushing it slightly up / back / diagnol? I found the idea of using the leg from a pair of cotton tights here, and experimented with using that on a few different places until I found one that provided the last little bit I was missing.

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:32 pm

bcab17 wrote:So, last night I tightened up the straps a little, and realized that while hooking the hose to the clip on the top of my head was a great way to keep the pillows in place while moving from side to side, it also created an upward pull on the pillows that pressed them right against the spot on my nose that was sore. So I unclipped the hose from the top of the headgear, and let it run straight down my chest, and it appears to have done the trick. Of course, the downside is that the hose moved around and eventually ended up off the right side of the bed (where the cpap machine is), which sort of pulled the pillows in that direction.
Hi,

I ran into something similar. If I leave the hose clipped in at the top after connecting up, it pulled the pillows at a slight angle where they would leak. I unclipped, and then clipped it back in on the other side of the connection to the main hose. That added a bit of slack in front of my face, which changed the angle of the pillows enough to make them more comfortable and seal better, yet it was still clipped at the top, so the hose didn't wander around.

-john-

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:16 pm

I LOVE the Ayr Gel!!!!

bcab17

Post by bcab17 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:37 am

glamborn wrote:One thing no one has suggested that I found helpful was to get some rubber o-rings and slip them over the cushions so they provide some added support. With this setup I'm able to pull the straps tight enough to keep the cushions from shifting and leaking while still keeping the bulbous base part of the cushion from coming into contact with the tip of my nose. The o-rings I use are a snug fit on the connector section between the base section and the cushions themselves but not so tight as to collapse the connection tube.
Sounds like an interesting solution, but you lost me. I'm not sure what size o-rings you use or exactly where you're placing them. I don't suppose you could include some links to photos?

bcab17

Post by bcab17 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:41 am

PAPalogical wrote:Last idea - when you put it on and it's in the right angle, if you hold it with your hand, are you pushing it slightly up / back / diagnol? I found the idea of using the leg from a pair of cotton tights here, and experimented with using that on a few different places until I found one that provided the last little bit I was missing.
Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't understand this one. How are you using the tights leg? How, where, and to what are you attaching it?

gl

Post by gl » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:58 pm

bcab17 wrote:
glamborn wrote:One thing no one has suggested that I found helpful was to get some rubber o-rings and slip them over the cushions so they provide some added support. With this setup I'm able to pull the straps tight enough to keep the cushions from shifting and leaking while still keeping the bulbous base part of the cushion from coming into contact with the tip of my nose. The o-rings I use are a snug fit on the connector section between the base section and the cushions themselves but not so tight as to collapse the connection tube.
Sounds like an interesting solution, but you lost me. I'm not sure what size o-rings you use or exactly where you're placing them. I don't suppose you could include some links to photos?

Here you go. The o-rings I use with a medium cushion are 9/16" I.D. (13/16" O.D.) x 1/8" Wall. I've included a picture of the packaging from the ones I bought at my local Lowes, the brand is BrassCraft. I went to try to get some from a Lowes in Texas recently though and they didn't have the same brand so I don't know if these are just a regional thing or if they've changed suppliers. Regardless, the brand shouldn't matter. Obviously, if you want to do this with one of the other size cushions you'll need to get a correspondingly larger or smaller size.

gl

Post by gl » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:09 pm

Bump

bcab17

Post by bcab17 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:36 am

Thanks GL! The photos really did the trick. The one thing I am wondering about is if he o-rings limit the effectiveness of the pillows. What I mean is, I thought that the pillows having the ability to move/adjust in and out is one of the main features of the Swift LT. If the o-rings prevent this movement does it have any negative impact on the effectiveness of the pillows?

Autopapdude

Post by Autopapdude » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:41 am

I've used a plastic clothes pin (large size) with a string around the hose to secure it to the covers to prevent the hose from roaming too much.

gl

Post by gl » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:28 am

bcab17 wrote:Thanks GL! The photos really did the trick. The one thing I am wondering about is if he o-rings limit the effectiveness of the pillows. What I mean is, I thought that the pillows having the ability to move/adjust in and out is one of the main features of the Swift LT. If the o-rings prevent this movement does it have any negative impact on the effectiveness of the pillows?
I've tried it with and without the o-rings and I have far better success with them. Without them, if I leave the straps loose enough to keep the nose rub from happening then the seal tends to break when I move from side-to-side. I'm a side sleeper so this may not be an issue if you're a back or stomach sleeper. With the o-rings I can pull it up tight enough to keep a good seal without having it rub the tip of my nose.

potholerepairman

Post by potholerepairman » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:12 pm

Thanks GL, The Lowes or Homedepot in my area did not have them but Ace Hardware had it. they are the danco #93 o-rings in my parts.

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:05 am

bcab17 wrote:Yeah, I was actually thinking about getting some kind of hose clip that I might be able to secure to the front my t-shirt (I sleep in a tee, too). I have no idea how that would feel, though.
See also:

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/cpap-hose-clip.html

for a clip which should do just what you and Muse-Inc were talking about.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Marietjie

Post by Marietjie » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:00 am

My Goodness, just look at this !?! I love O'Rings -
they fixed my leak problem with my previous nasal pillows.
Thanks for this wonderful tip - I'll keep some O'Rings ready.
[quote="gl"][

crowmanyclouds

Post by crowmanyclouds » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:52 am

jweeks wrote:... clipped it back in on the other side of the connection to the main hose. That added a bit of slack in front of my face, which changed the angle of the pillows enough to make them more comfortable and seal better, yet it was still clipped at the top, so the hose didn't wander around.

-john-
This!

The tubing is kinda short for my head too, plus the connection between the tubing and the swivel is a weak point (both ends came loose on my Swift II after 'bout 8 months). Clipping the hose instead the tubing protects the joint.

'Course that means the hose can't swivel anymore but ...

Being a side sleeper I've also found that having the swivel directly on top of my head means the swivel doesn't swivel .
An 18 Inch humidifier hose with a hose coupling swivel moves the swivel away from my head and works MUCH better!

CMC
Mask: ResMed Mirage Swift LT
Machine: ResMed S8 Elite
Humidifier: ResMed Humidaire H3i (off and dry, but it reduces the noise coming through the hose)
Pressure: 10 cm H2O
AHI: under 6.0 (pre-CPAP 89.5)