What to do in case of power failures?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
PurpleSwan3033

What to do in case of power failures?

Post by PurpleSwan3033 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:43 pm

What is the most economical plan for power outages? Should I invest in the expensive dc adapter and cable rigs and 12 volt marine battery power, even though I might have to change cpap machines in a few years and have to spend that money all over again? Or, can I invest in a 300 watt pure sine wave power inverter and use that to power the 12 volt marine battery? The people who sell the dc adapter cable bundle say the pure sine wave power inverter might damage the cpap machine and the people who sell the pure sine wave inverter say it will not damage it because they are designed for sensitive medical equipment and the likes. Its a big investment either way but the power inverter seems more practical because it can be used for other purposes and with other appliances. We do not get too many "long" power outages here in Houston but every now and then we get storms like Hurricane Ike where we lost power for several weeks.

rested gal

Re: What to do in case of power failures?

Post by rested gal » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:12 pm

Here are some of the solutions others have posted:
LINKS to Battery operation, camping, power outage
viewtopic.php?t=9682
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

SuperGeeky

Post by SuperGeeky » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:30 pm

PurpleSwan3033, it's almost as personal of asking folks if their size Underwear will fit you. I've never seen any uniformity of answer for this question.

For me, the Black and Decker 400 has worked perfectly. Easily purchased for less than $100 at any Walmart, Home Depot and other major distributors.

I bought a DC plug for my Respironics BiPap and I can use the B & D 400 for a couple of days WITHOUT the humidifier Considering the rarity of the power going out long enough to need it, I can use the B & D 400 for a multitude of other everyday functions.

The DME recommended a 'Deep Cycle' Marine Battery. Oh, weighs a ton or so.... I don't know if it kicks out fumes?? Anyway my power source is somewhat light and easy to carry around.

And, many of us sufferers of SA are known for the occasional heart attack. B & D 400 comes with jumper cables

Good luck,

SG

PurpleSwan3033

Post by PurpleSwan3033 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:15 pm

Excuse me but what is the Black & Decker 400? Is that a power inverter or what? Please be specific, okay. This is new to me and I am trying to envision what and how to use it. Thank you.

jules

Post by jules » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:28 pm

google is your friend

SuperGeeky

Post by SuperGeeky » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:03 pm

PurpleSwan3033, Sorry to be so blunt. I've poured over those links and it becomes quite technical. Ugh, shop for the 'real batteries' that go to your CPAP, major major bucks. Nawda, cost prohibitive!!

Just do a search of 'Black and Decker' or' 400' on this Forum, you'll get some hits, pro and con...

In the mean time, paying less than $100 for the B & D Electromate 400 and purchasing a DC plug will give you peace of mind and safety for the time being With the humidifier running, modest pressure, should get you through the night easily. Otherwise, don't use the humidifier and go camping for a few days

I usually get excited about such things as Inverters and big batteries, ways of doing things in brilliant ways!! I want peace of mind and assured CPAP Therapy. Inflating the tires, jump starting the car and a nice lantern is just plain gravy.

Good luck,

SG

briank

Post by briank » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:40 pm

This may be included somewhere in RG's links, but just in case...

Running through a power inverter is less energy efficient than running directly off DC power, so if you are concerned about being able to run for longer periods of time, DC is better.

SuperGeeky

Post by SuperGeeky » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:50 am

[quote]Running through a power inverter is less energy efficient than running directly off DC power, so if you are concerned about being able to run for longer periods of time, DC is better./quote]

Thanks BrianK!! The DC Plug is worth it's price in gold!!

Small note, when purchasing the B & D Electromate 400 and any other Power source for that matter. At Home Depot, they stocked the products upside down and on their sides. Very bad to store batteries that way!!

B & D Warranty and Customer Service was very good. Keeping it upright, constantly plugged in and not plugging the vacuum cleaner into it to clean the car helps. Ah, how SA can erode simple common sense

I'm going Camping next weekend and can't wait....

Good Luck,

SG

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:19 pm

SuperGeeky wrote:I bought a DC plug for my Respironics BiPap and I can use the B & D 400 for a couple of days WITHOUT the humidifier Considering the rarity of the power going out long enough to need it, I can use the B & D 400 for a multitude of other everyday functions.
Hi,

In my case, I want to run with the Humidifier on. I have problems with my eyes if I don't run the humidifier on 3 (or of 5) or 4. While I haven't sunk any time into research on the issue, I hear that the DC option is only for the machine, not the humidifier, and that the humidifier might not work on an inverter. Anyone know for sure if the Respironics BiPAP Auto will run with the humidifier on a pure sine wave inverter? I don't want to turn my nice machine into a brick....

-john-

SuperGeeky

Post by SuperGeeky » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:53 am

I used my biPap/humidifier with the B & D Electromate 400. Your right, AC power only. I was so upset to find out the humidifier is AC only.
I made it past seven hours with the lowest humidifier setting and the pressure was low, exhale not greater than ten.

Think of your scenarios. If your power goes out due to a Tropical Storm, humidity is going to be high. If it's a blizzard, humidity could drop below 10%.

We just a had a one in five hundred year flood here in Atlanta. Humidity was high from all the rain.

Our transformers were under water. If the power was out for more than five days, I need to get to a safer shelter with electricity anyway.

I invite someone who is creative to think of an idea for a 'makeshift' humidifier during a Power Outage. (Snoredog, we hardly knew thee) Can you create a 'passive' humidifier simply by putting water before the intake?? Shut the room off and boil water before going to bed to increase humidity? Must be other ways to get humidified water into your 'brick' during an emergency.

Just some thoughts,

SG

tonycog

Post by tonycog » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:49 am

Anyone know for sure if the Respironics BiPAP Auto will run with the humidifier on a pure sine wave inverter? I don't want to turn my nice machine into a brick....
I have the same question. I have looked at the Respironics manuals and I'm not clear about this. Does anyone know?

Thanks,
Tony

briank

Post by briank » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:54 am

SuperGeeky wrote:I invite someone who is creative to think of an idea for a 'makeshift' humidifier during a Power Outage. (Snoredog, we hardly knew thee) Can you create a 'passive' humidifier simply by putting water before the intake?? Shut the room off and boil water before going to bed to increase humidity? Must be other ways to get humidified water into your 'brick' during an emergency.

SG
Lots of people use passive humdification by putting water into their humidifier chamber without adding any heat component. But I don't think that's going to help jweeks, who needs a 60-80% heat setting.

You do NOT want to have excessive humidity on the INTAKE because you don't want a mold or mildew problem developing on the inside of the machine where it can't be cleaned and will get pumped straight to your lungs under pressure!

The only DC humidifier unit I know of personally is the AEIOmed Everest series, but it's straight CPAP. Otherwise, I think you have to get the best inverter you can find and cross your fingers if you want to power the humidifier as well as the main unit off battery.

Edit: My Sandman, for example, will automatically switch to battery power on AC failure if the battery is plugged in, but the humidifier goes into pass-over mode.

Last edited by briank on Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperGeeky

Post by SuperGeeky » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:21 am

Rested Gal, don't you have a Fisher & Paykel CPAP that will kick in a battery if you loose power over night? We lost power the other night, I didn't even know it until I generated my Encore Report. **I had a UPS that would sound off an alarm. Need to come up with a better idea**

Rested Gal, how well does that work??

Hope your perusing!

Thanks,

SG

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:05 pm

IMHO, it's a bit academic. When was the last time you had a power outage lasting more than a couple of hours?

My plan:

1. Wake up (it's pretty automatic if the machine stops.)
2. While the rest of you are finding, connecting and worrying about how much charge your battery has, I'll be reading a good book and waiting for power to come back on. When it does, I'll be sleeping before y'all get re-rigged for AC.
3. If more than an hour or two, I go back to sleep for the rest of the night without CPAP. (Yes, I hear the collective gasp!) After all, it isn't "life support". Sure, it's better to have the therapy, but will one partial night kill ya? How many nights did you sleep with apnea events BEFORE you had CPAP?
4. If it looks like the power outage will be longer, I'll evacuate to somewhere with power. And while we're traveling, guess what? As long as the car is running, I have an endless supply of 12VDC! (Of course, trying to sleep while my wife is at the wheel is another challenge altogether...lol)

But, seriously, I think way too much is made over alternative power sources. Unless you are addicted to recreational camping, I just don't see the need.

That being said, I DO have a "jumpstart" battery I use with my telescope. I've never tried it with my CPAP, but the 'scope has the same PWR jack as the CPAP. It's 350Ah...guess I could do the math and see how long it might last on CPAP, but I've really never felt the need.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:21 pm

My husband and I have been discussing power outage and using my machine. I could use a battery but I desperately need the added humidity. I have already tried simply lowering the humidifier setting with disastrous results in my next day comfort due to extreme drying out of the nasal mucosa. I don't want to go there again.

Power outages can be common where we live and can last for days depending on cause. A couple of years ago there was a major ice storm. My sister who lives in the country was without electricity for 18 days. My mother who lives in town was without electricity for 9 days (though the people across the street had power in 2 days). Going to a shelter of sorts is out of the question due to the animals we have in our zoo here.

We are looking into a portable generator to power the household. My sister got one when that ice storm struck.
I figure if we get a generator it will probably work like the magical snow blower that my mother has. Ever since she got it there has not been enough snow at one time to warrant firing up the snow blower. So I figure if I get a generator we won't need it.

Now is the time to research and purchase the generator because they will be scarce in the event another ice storm hits this area again. So I have been delegated the job of generator researcher...

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.