Ramp

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Ramp

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:11 am

This is a common feature on most CPAP machines. The ramp function increases the pressure gradually until the machine reaches the prescribed pressure. Some users find this gradual increase to the prescribed pressure more comfortable. The ramp time is usually measured in 5-minute intervals and typically ranges between 5 and 45 minutes to reach the prescribed pressure setting.

Example: Ramp Starting point: 4cm H2O. Ramp Time: 20 Minutes. Prescribed pressure: 10cm H2O. This means the CPAP machine would start at 4cm H2O and over the next 20 minutes gradually increase the pressure to 10cm H2O.
Edited on 08-26-2008 10:35

Bearded_One

Re: Ramp

Post by Bearded_One » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:07 pm

Many users find the ramp feature to be very annoying.

pegslg

Post by pegslg » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:04 pm

I have the remstar plus m series and i was wondering if some one could tell me How can i find out how long the ramp time is set up for????

Pegslg

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:02 pm

pegslg wrote:I have the remstar plus m series and i was wondering if some one could tell me How can i find out how long the ramp time is set up for????

Pegslg
If you go to this link, you can download the setup instruction file for it.

http://www.apneaboard.com/CPAP%20Adjustment.htm

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:09 am

Also by using the "RAMP" feature you can set it too long , and therefore not get the treatment pressure you need or you can set it too low a pressure and not get a comfortable air flow. Unless you can't stand the pressure you are better off swimming in the deep end. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

teresamichele

Post by teresamichele » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:35 am

When I got my CPAP, I thought "Wow, 16 is a really high pressure. I should use the ramp feature."

I thought it was taking me forever to fall asleep because of the mask - turns out the mask was fine - the ramp was keeping me awake somehow. Now I have it turned off, and I'm asleep within 5 minutes, tops.

"If you weren't trying for it yesterday, why should you have it today?" - Dave Barnes

JimIllinois

Post by JimIllinois » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:14 pm

I fall asleep much easier and faster with low pressure. So, when I wake up to roll over, or whatever, and the pressure is 13 or 14, I get a better result hitting the Ramp, which starts at 8.

Yes, there's a chance I'll fall asleep and snore or even stop breathing until the pressure gets back up. There's also a chance I'll be up for the next 40 minutes trying to sleep through the high pressure.

It's a choice. Some folks can't stand the bright blue lights on the M series. Some think it's too noisy. My fetish is the higher pressures.

tha

Post by tha » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:53 am

how to increase ramp function 0f BMC RESmart Auto

qmx

Post by qmx » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:33 am

I like a 5 minute ramp. Without ramp, the 1st breath feels like it's going to blow my ears off. DEAN

base2balls

Post by base2balls » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:21 am

I don't use the ramp feature on my machine any more either, but it is nice to have for those that are new and getting used to the machine. It did seem to take forever to get the right pressure for me too. Well, gotta go so have a great day, Huggies, Fay

hopingitworks

Post by hopingitworks » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:03 am

I used the ramp initially but haven't used it for a few months and am OK with it. My pressure is set at a constant 7.8 cm H20 so I don't really notice that much of a difference if I use the ramp feature or not. If I were to be using much higher pressures I would at least try it for a night or two and try to adjust myself, or the machine, accordingly.

teachcsg

Post by teachcsg » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:38 am

I find that the ramp feature is very helpful to new patients. When we first set them up and place their mask on them and turn the machine on many will jump slightly or look scared at ALL the air coming at them. Once we hit the ramp they seattle down. We then ask if with the ramp the air is too low or not enough, i.e 'does it feel like your suffocating or not enough air" if they say yes then we increase ramp slightly until they are comfortable. We sometimes teach them how to adjust themselves.
Many patients that have worn for a while come in and no longer use ramp. They are so used to the high pressures that they do not need it anymore. But starting out I like the feature.
Cesar Garza, RRT
Registred Respiratory Therapist
http://www.lastminuteceus.com

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:20 am

teachcsg wrote:I find that the ramp feature is very helpful to new patients. When we first set them up and place their mask on them and turn the machine on many will jump slightly or look scared at ALL the air coming at them. Once we hit the ramp they seattle down. We then ask if with the ramp the air is too low or not enough, i.e 'does it feel like your suffocating or not enough air" if they say yes then we increase ramp slightly until they are comfortable. We sometimes teach them how to adjust themselves.
Many patients that have worn for a while come in and no longer use ramp. They are so used to the high pressures that they do not need it anymore. But starting out I like the feature.

That suffocating feeling can start within the first week as we adjust to the normal pressures. Nobody told me that it could feel like suffocating. Newbies just know that they feel they can't breathe. Most DMEs do NOT tell us that we may need to adjust it upward or turn it off. After 2 days, I moved mine to 5 minutes, and then the next day I turned it off. I go straight to 11 every day, and that feels fine for me.

Also, the ramp featured, if used over and over again can leave somebody without treatment most of the night, and they don't realize that. So, they think the machine isn't helping (because it really isn't), and then quit. Instead, they need to know that ramp time is not therapy time, and they shouldn't keep using the ramp all night.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:22 am

teachcsg wrote:I find that the ramp feature is very helpful to new patients. When we first set them up and place their mask on them and turn the machine on many will jump slightly or look scared at ALL the air coming at them. Once we hit the ramp they seattle down. We then ask if with the ramp the air is too low or not enough, i.e 'does it feel like your suffocating or not enough air" if they say yes then we increase ramp slightly until they are comfortable. We sometimes teach them how to adjust themselves.
Just a hint that helps me - I make it a point to either be holding my breath or exhaling when I turn the air on. Something about the blast as I'm in the middle of an inhale is startling and uncomfortable, and I want to be in control of that first inhalation instead of having it feeling forced on me unnaturally.