Confession of an Interface Junkie

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mikemoran

Confession of an Interface Junkie

Post by mikemoran » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:00 pm

My search for an interface has gone way beyond sanity and I have to step forward and admit it must be an addiction. It all started when my wife said those fateful words "It is your therapy and you can get whatever you need to be comfortable with it." No I didn't have to mortgage my house and clearly there are other hobbies I have spent more on but now my mask total exceeded my autopap total and I have to recognize my addiction. I truly am not searching for the perfect mask, just one I can sleep through the night with. A quest I vow not to give up on until my purse strings are cut.

The following is a description of my odyssey and I am hoping others can learn from my plight. When you see the list of masks you will think he must have been doing this for years, but in truth it has only been since May of this year. I know what a sad, sad cpaper I have become.

My first mask was a Swift and I could stand the little leaks during the night, but my nares were on fire after a few days. Next I tried the Vista, such a good concept I thought freedom to read and breath. Unfortunately, even with the largest cushion the tip of my nose rubbed against the hard plastic inside.

Okay the nose wasn't working so on to the mouth. The Oracle worked fit well enough and I didn't seem to mind the lip scrunching. No matter what I did I couldn't get the hang of stopping my nose breathing. Almost put the cat's eye out when I shot the nose plug across the room.

Salvation seemed so near with the Comfort Curve. Light under the nose, ready for any side action. Except couldn't get the pads to fit under my cheeks and over them they bruised. No pads, moleskin, panty liners still couldn't make up for the fact my cheeks were in the position on my face. No seal with out pain. On to the next mask in lieu of major plastic surgery.

Let's clamp something on my whole face, time for the Ultra Mirage Full Face mask. Not bad except leaked like a sieve and never in the same spot. Almost heaven, my Activa arrived. Leaks a lot less but still having to wake up in the night to pull it out and let it snap back to seal leaks.

Haven't tried anything off the wall yet, so bring on the Phantom. Never could get it to stop leaking but loved the alien look. Wait, the Comfort Curve has a new head gear maybe my cheeks don't need to be raised 2 inches. No such luck.

People love the Breeze and I think I qualify as people. At first it seemed great, so quiet so adjustable, and so torturous. Still remembering those moments in the middle of the night thinking I had a grappling hook in my nostrils. Never, I repeat never, end up on your back when wearing this device.

What is left? The freestyle of course, just two simple tubes crammed up your nose. Surprisingly I didn't mind the intrusion. It sealed, I could live with it and the worse that could happen is it would get pulled out of my nose. If only it didn't sound like a hurricane it might be my dream interface. Speaking of dreams, tried the DreamFit same hard plastic nose scraping I got with the Vista.

I only have one last mask to try, the Aura. It is on order and I swear it will absolutely positively be my last mask. Okay, until the next new Super Comfort Perfect Seal Dream Sleep Ultra Noserator gets announced next month.

Seriously sometimes I wonder why I keep slapping a contraption on my face every night. Oh yes now I remeber, breathing beats not breathing

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:37 pm

Mikemoran,

LOL, LOL, that is so amuzing and can describe so many of us. You make me look at are strange affliction from the outside in and it really does seem crazy. LOL, great descriptions.

Jan in Colo.

Post by Jan in Colo. » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:45 pm

Oh, how funny! I've been tempted to do the same, only I've controlled myself and limited it to only one new mask per month. Since I'm only on my second month.....I've bought one extra mask. Just got paid though, so I'm on the search for the next one. But really, we shouldn't feel badly. We are on this treatment plan for life, most of us anyway. You spend money on clothing, dinners out, and all kinds of non-essentials....why not indulge in something you NEED. And none of the interfaces are perfect, damn it, or we could spare our budgets!

Truthfully though. Put it in perspective. I'm actually quite healthy (I still believe that's true, lol), but I'm on hormones, thyroid replacements, acid-blockers, all kinds of little meds to make life easier. And when I go to the pharmacy each month? Two hundred bucks down the drain just for MY meds. Then another 150 for my son's pills...severe allergies, asthma, ADD and depression. And that is each and every month! That's as cheap as I can get it too....every med is on the insurance's formulary and everything possible is generic.

So what's a little money on a new mask every once in a while? They last quite a while and make a significant difference in our sleep.....we are WORTH IT! lol, lol......So keep searching and best of luck to you!

Jan in Colo.

mikemoran

Post by mikemoran » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:45 pm

Been thinking about what I could do with my unused masks. I know i can wire a few up as bedside lamps. The Breeze would make a wonderful orchid vase and that Freestyle a nifty pair of headphones. Gee if I can re-use them its not an addiction I'm just contributing to my Medical Art collection. Think my wife will buy that? LOL

OldSeaRock

Post by OldSeaRock » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:48 pm

Thanks for the laughs, Mike!

SELL those used masks - or give them to someone who can't afford them.

I too am struggling with masks...er, interfaces... yeah, that's the ticket.

Hope you find one that works for you!
People don’t care what you know until they know that you care.

Fatigue Fighter

Post by Fatigue Fighter » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:00 pm

People love the Breeze and I think I qualify as people. At first it seemed great, so quiet so adjustable, and so torturous. Still remembering those moments in the middle of the night thinking I had a grappling hook in my nostrils. Never, I repeat never, end up on your back when wearing this device.
Your entire post was so enjoyable to read. I'm sure everyone can relate. Your comments on the Breeze ring so true with me. I really did feel like I was hanging on a coat hook (or as you so aptly put it, a "grappling" hook) Thanks for bringing some humor into my day!

FF

UKnowWhatInSeattle

Post by UKnowWhatInSeattle » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:06 pm

Mike,

I thought that was funny until I counted and realized that I think I've tried at least 2 more than you!! I have gotten to the point of promising my wife I won't buy any more. But steal, rent, create, I never promised any of those things!

Arghh. It's official "Talk Like A Pirate Day".

dsm

Post by dsm » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:21 pm

Mike,

Loved the maskedman story & very well told LOL.

A couple of us may eventually have some funny yarns to tell re flow generators. Image 5 connected in parallel or the same in sequential feed. Gotta be some laughs in that dept

Hmm, what happens if they are connected in sequential mode with alternating AUTOs SuperPAP!.

etc etc etc

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

Grabraham

Post by Grabraham » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:25 pm

just think... when your obsession and your budget allows you to collect as many xPAP machines as you have masks you can crankthem all up at once and give your entire bedroom a +14 cmH2O and skip the mask alltogether

dsm

Post by dsm » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:33 pm

Grabraham wrote:just think... when your obsession and your budget allows you to collect as many xPAP machines as you have masks you can crankthem all up at once and give your entire bedroom a +14 cmH2O and skip the mask alltogether
Now the moment I read that an alarm bell went off in my head - something to do with pressure equalization - but I'm to foggy in the head to put an exact finger on it

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

mikemoran

Post by mikemoran » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:40 pm

Hmmm time to head to home depot and put my plastic tarp and duct tape skills to good use. How does the Ultra Slumber Dream Repose Roominator Full Room Mask sound as a product name? You know sometimes I'm just glad they haven't found another orifice to deliver this therapy with. LOL

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:27 pm

Mike...your descriptions of masks you tried was a delight! Still laughing here!!!

And THIS!
You know sometimes I'm just glad they haven't found another orifice to deliver this therapy with. LOL
GAWD, how funny!!!

Or....is it?

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:22 am

Thanks for the laughs!

Seriously now, Mike, have you tried:
* Routing the hose from the wall abouve your head?
* Ayr Gel or KY Jelly for nasal pillows masks?
* Changing the bed pillow you sleep on?

Each of these can make a mask much easier to use.

O.

mikemoran

Post by mikemoran » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:48 am

ozij wrote: Seriously now, Mike, have you tried:
* Routing the hose from the wall abouve your head?
* Ayr Gel or KY Jelly for nasal pillows masks?
* Changing the bed pillow you sleep on?
Yes yes and yes. Even tried the panty hose, but they kept riding up and made my legs itch. LOL

waikikisnowman

Masks Anoymous

Post by waikikisnowman » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:44 am

This forum is great - you quickly realize you are not alone.
Started CPAP 4 weeks ago - have bought 3 new masks in 3 weeks already. All are a nightmare to use and now looking for a 4th. But maybe not now having read your experience

Perhaps we can start 'Masks Anonymous' whereby we can admit openly that we are addicted to Masks and can call a fellow user whenever we feel the urge to buy yet another one - to talk us out of it.