along comes yet another Newbie...with Complex Central Apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ProudDad

along comes yet another Newbie...with Complex Central Apnea

Post by ProudDad » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:30 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post here so I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm 43, and I think I'm about to be diagnosed with apnea. My wife has been telling me that I often stop breathing during the night and pushing me to talk to my doc about it so I did. He ordered the first study, the a titration and here I am.

I have copies of the sleep study reports as they were given to my GP.

From the first study:

"Impression: Severe obstructive sleep disordered breathing with obstructive apnea hypopneas and discordant chest abdominal movements while sleeping on back. This is associated with sever hypoxemia, subjective (Epworth score 13) and objective (early sleep onset) excessive sleepiness and reduced sleep efficiency because of problems with sleep mainenance."

During the first study, my SaO2 dropped to 63% at one point, with 83.6% of the time it was between 80-89% SaO2. Mean O2 sats=85%. It only took me 6 minutes to fall asleep after the tech turned out the lights. I was monitored for 7 hours, slept for 5.8 of those hours. N1: 8.6%, N2 74.1%, N3 6.9%, REM 10.3%. AHI 36.2, REM AHI 38.3.

From the second study, the titration that was ordered as a result of the first:

"Impression: 1. Significant central apneas are induced at 13 cms CPAP (cmplex sleep apnea) and obstructive events and snoring are also not eliminated. I think this patient needs to be on BiPAP S/T. Patient tolerated CPAP well."

Monitored for 7 hours again, 10.5 minutes for sleep onset (this was my first time ever to wear CPAP mask, a full face RESMED). REM onset was 55 minutes with 11 cwp. N1: 5.4%, N2: 65.9%, N3 4.7%, REM 24%. (The next COUPLE of days I felt better than I have in years!)

"CPAP titration: CPAP was started at 5 cms. This was titrated to 13 cms because of snoring, and obstructive hypopneas. Patient had significant apneas induction (complex sleep apnea) associated with desaturations to 87% In non cheyne stokes pattern. Obstructive events and snoring also persisted. Tech should have switched the patient to BiPAP S/T."

The Dr. that wrote this reccomends BiPAP S/T 17/13 cms with back up rate of 12, heated humidifier, ramp 10...

This was received by my GP a couple of days ago, I am waiting to see what he has in store for me...but I'm thinking I'm a candidate for this board. I couldn't believe how much better I felt the day after the titration study, and that was with the tech not switching me to BiPAP as the sleep Dr. thought he should.

Any comments are welcome.

To the owner of this board and the moderators, THANKS!

Last edited by ProudDad on Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

SleepyT

Re: and along comes yet another Newbie...with Titration results

Post by SleepyT » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:45 am

Proud,
Welcome! You have landed in the right place. I do not have the expertise to comment on your therapy...but others here do! So hang in there and check back often. There is a world of information and great humor as well!

SleepyT

"Knowledge is power."

roster

Newbie With Complex Sleep Apnea

Post by roster » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:52 am

PD,

Welcome.

About 95% of patients have simple obstructive sleep apnea without centrals. So I suggest you edit your post by changing the subject to "Newbie With Complex Sleep Apnea". This will help attract the 5% who have experience and expertise with treating central and complex apnea.

BTW, you made an excellent first post with a good summary of your position.

Regards,

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

roster

Re: and along comes yet another Newbie...with Titration results

Post by roster » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:02 am

PD,

The machine your doctor is recommending can be seen in a nice bundle here https://www.cpap.com/productpage-bundle ... undle.html .

Note that cpap.com owners are also the owners of cpaptalk.com.

You will want the card reader and software. IMO, optimizing your therapy is just a crap shoot without the software.

Good luck,

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

ProudDad

Re: along comes yet another Newbie...with Complex Central Apnea

Post by ProudDad » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:12 am

Thank you for the kind words SleepyT. Rooster thanks for the advice (which I did follow-not always an easy thing for me if you know what I mean ) and the link. Just my luck that I'd end up requiring the most expensive type of machine made, but if that's what I need then I'm gonna have to "bite the bullet"...maybe Blue Cross will come thru and pick up most of it.

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:43 am

ProudDad wrote: Just my luck that I'd end up requiring the most expensive type of machine made,
but if that's what I need then I'm gonna have to "bite the bullet"....
Welcome! PD
All things for a reason.

As you said, you have already tasted what life can be like w/cpap or in your case bipap.
It will be the sweetest bullet you have every tasted.
Remember, it's your life.

All the best for you as your new life begins.
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

Mr Capers

Post by Mr Capers » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:56 am

Hi ProudDad,

Here's another Complex Sleep Apnea person. I've just started my journey, so if you kind of monitor my posts you can get the benefit of any answers I receive. To do this, scroll to the bottom of a thread and you will find a subscribe to this topic checkbox. Make sure this is checked and you will be notified of new posts on that thread.

Here's a pretty disorganized list of some other things that have been helping me:

1. Read all the posts in these sections: "New Users" (Guy in Green Jacket above) and the "Our Wisdom" (Light Bulb above). This will be a lot to absorb! This will cover (Sleep Disordered Breathing) SDB University classes through the undergraduate level.
2. Then look for any post by rested gal. Down in her signature is a link "all links by rested gal." Click that link and you will find a wonderful list of other threads compiled by a remarkable woman. This is your graduate class.
3. This is a great community of people helping each other, sometimes against pretty awful odds. Even if you get some replies that seem off-putting, or full of not well-informed opinion vs. fact, help keep the dialogue civil. No flame wars.

All of this is like drinking from a fire hose! A LOT of information to absorb. Lean on the good folks in this forum. They are kind and patient with us newcomers and are clearly building some major good karma for next time around!

As soon as you get your equipment, fill out your profile with all your new "stuff" using text instead of pictures (makes it much clearer what you use). People can understand and help better if they see this in your profile.

Get a data-capable machine!!!! Get a data-capable machine!!!! Get a data-capable machine!!!! You can't make sound decisions without data.

Private Messages are a great tool for those little side conversations that would only clutter up the big board. You can practice by sending me one if all this is as new and strange as it was to me.

You are going to feel better. Get on with your therapy, get back to living while feeling good, and know you've just acquired a great bunch of friends/mentors/supporters on this forum. They've got your back.

Happy Naps,
Mr Capers

junie

Post by junie » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:07 pm

Welcome to our forum, Have any questions ask away we are here to help.

Additional Comments: Pressure #11, FF. mask Flexifit 431 & 432, also Mirage Swift ll Nasal Pillow,
Judy

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:13 pm

Welcome to the forum, ProudDad. It sounds like you're off and running feet first.

ProudDad

Post by ProudDad » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:16 pm

Carbonman, I hadn't thought of a sweet bullet before, but if it works I'll try it.

Mr. Capers thanx for sharing your experience with me, it does help. I'll be sure to add what equipment I'm provided with to my profile when I finally get it.

Thank you for the warm welcome junie and DreamDiver.

While I'd never wish this problem we have on anyone, it is good to know that I'm not alone and that there are others willing to share their experiences to help others. I'm glad I found this place

ProudDad

Post by ProudDad » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:59 pm

Talked to my GP's office today. He did write me a script for a BPAP S/T as was recommended by the sleep lab.

Also talked to me insurance company, they need a "medical necessity" letter from my GP to justify the BPAP. Also, it looks like I'm gonna need to go "In NetworK" for my machine & mask. At least for my first go-around. There are a few DMEs local so I'll shop around.

Any suggestions on a machine? What manufacturor's software is best to use-I mean gives the most useful information?

roster

Post by roster » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:55 am