BROKEN RESPIRONICS COMFORTGEL MASK? REPORT IT!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Billy6

Re: BROKEN RESPIRONICS COMFORTGEL MASK? REPORT IT!

Post by Billy6 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:41 pm

I have posted several times about what I believe to be cheaply made, inferior, Respironics masks. My problem has been with the ComfortFull2 that I use as my travel mask. I'm to the point that I think they are purposely manufactured in a way that require frequent replacement, and I'm betting those going goo-goo eyes over their new FF mask product will be sorely disappointed. I' think their machines are good, but the masks leave much to be desired.

dderrick

Post by dderrick » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:53 am

I stopped buying the Respironics Comort Gel mask years ago. I got tired of this low quality product failing on a regular basis. Either it would break or the seal would fail. I was never able to have one last for 6 months. By the time my insurance would pay for a replacment after 6 months the one I had was either leaking or the platic had broken.

It is a sub-prime LOW QUALITY product period. The company shuld not be reqared with new orders.

When I complained to my DME he recommended a Fisher and Paykel HC407. I have ben using the same mask that I purchased 1-1/2 years ago. No Leaks. No broken parts. It is an excellent product. The quality appears to be superior to Respironics.

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:05 am

I read about your broken mask. For that I have only had one BUT I am experiencing a different problem. My last two masks after a short period of time (about a month) is getting gooey and sticky. My wife cleans it daily with only the recommended light dishwashing soap. The mask works great but I can't live with this sticky stuff. Can you help or am I going to have to go in a different direction for masks? Big Al

cajun

Post by cajun » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:21 am

Big Al wrote:My wife cleans it daily with only the recommended light dishwashing soap. The mask works great but I can't live with this sticky stuff. Can you help or am I going to have to go in a different direction for masks? Big Al
I've cleaned mine for months with cheap/generic baby shampoo and it's never been sticky/gooey. You might want to try that.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:47 am

Hmmmm. I have a Small and a Petite ComfortGel my local DME supplier let me try (early 2007). When the Small was too large they gave me a Petite and let me keep the Small. I don't remember why I didn't care for the Petitie and they've been just sitting in my CPAP/02 supply cabinet. Since so many of you like the ComfortGel except for the easy breakage maybe I should dig them out and try that Petite again. Once I tried my Respironics Simplicity simple nasal cushion (which is one of Respironics' oldest masks) I fell in love and haven't really tried another nasal cushion mask. My Simplicitys last "forever". I have more than one simply because my supplier provides one every six months. When my sleep doctor scripted a Resmed Micro w/o my knowledge and I tried it I thought I would like the Quattro full face. My sleep lab let me try the Quattro and a couple of other full face masks I don't remember the name of. I liked the Quattro and haven't tried another full face since. I've just stuck w/my Simplicity and Quattro, alternating as needed.

I have tried the Swift LT for Her and the OptiLife (nasal cushion cradle) nasal pillows type masks (I HATED the original Swift and its assinine side mounted hose!) and frankly rather like them but am not wild about the nasal pillows style and end up going back to my faithful Simplicity and my Quattro.

I've been fortunate that the Simplicity is so durable. I've been able to try other masks when my 6 months replacement comes around. So far tho, its the Simplicity and the Quattro I always end up staying with.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

cpapquuen1

Post by cpapquuen1 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:33 pm

If you like the comfort gel, there is a new gel mask out by Devilbiss called the Serenity. Easy, gel and has an awesome release system.

searching4slumber

Post by searching4slumber » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:28 pm

I am so relieved to find out I am not the only one with this problem. I was diagnosed and started using the comfortgel mask in March and my first one broke in May. Last night while getting ready for bed my second mask broke. I tried to be careful with the mask but I was so frustrated that a second one broke. I thought it was just me. Luckily insurance has covered all of them but it usually means a couple of sleepless nights while I wait for the replacement.

Thank you for all of your knowledge, until I found this sight I felt like I was stumbling around in the dark trying to find my way.

mattfirme

Post by mattfirme » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:54 am

LSAT wrote:You are not getting much response to your post...either there are not very many that have had this problem..or..noone cares. I personally have been using this mask for 9 months and have had no problems. By the way Dave and Fritz...why arn't you registered users ??? or...are you the same person?
Hi, everyone -- Dave and Fritz, I'm a new forum user, with a tiny head, and I don't overtighten, and I have never had one of the comfortgels with the clips last me longer than three (3) WEEKS! I have no idea what the problem is, nor has anyone else. But I went through five of them before dumping the mask (and my DME) altogether....

I will say this, though - if it weren't for that damn clip breaking everrty couple weeks, I'd still be using that mask. It fit better, and was more comfortable, than anything I've used since.

LSAT, any search will turn up widespread complaints on this issue. The cpap.com folks will confirm, people do report breakage problems w/those clips. And many never have any trouble, either. But why attack those who report something you haven't experienced?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:32 pm

mattfirme wrote:
LSAT wrote:You are not getting much response to your post...either there are not very many that have had this problem..or..noone cares. I personally have been using this mask for 9 months and have had no problems. By the way Dave and Fritz...why arn't you registered users ??? or...are you the same person?
Hi, everyone -- Dave and Fritz, I'm a new forum user, with a tiny head, and I don't overtighten, and I have never had one of the comfortgels with the clips last me longer than three (3) WEEKS! I have no idea what the problem is, nor has anyone else. But I went through five of them before dumping the mask (and my DME) altogether....

I will say this, though - if it weren't for that damn clip breaking everrty couple weeks, I'd still be using that mask. It fit better, and was more comfortable, than anything I've used since.

LSAT, any search will turn up widespread complaints on this issue. The cpap.com folks will confirm, people do report breakage problems w/those clips. And many never have any trouble, either. But why attack those who report something you haven't experienced?
The mask isn't fool proof, and it built a little cheap, (In China)... To insert the ball in the clip holder you snap in the clip from the top downward and it's done. Suprise to remove it you must do the opposite, rotate the ball UP out of the TOPof the clip, making a effort not to try to pull the ball through the clip. It's the trying to pull the ball out of the clip incorrectly that breaks the ears off the clip. Doing this correctly along with being a little gentle doing it will go a long way to keeping the mask in working order. You can also brake the mask by tightening the straps too tight, it also causes unneeded mask pain. The mask also breaks at the "T" Headrest, usually from the straps being to tight, or there's a Bull in your China Shop. I put mine out for the night.

It pays to have spares for everything you need to use, old masks can be robbed for extra parts. Respironics isn't going to make this mask or any mask "Bullet Proof", They are cheaply made, and they are in the business of selling more, for them it's a win-win. I will continue to use this mask, because it works well for me, and I can control how I put it on and take it off, to cut down on having a broken mask. (I am up to 4 months on this last mask, a personal record) I don't wash it, unless I change the seals, which I do every month or two. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Shadoefax

Post by Shadoefax » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:25 am

It's nearly 11:30 PM, local time and I have to get up for work in about 5 hours. But instead of getting sleep, I'm waiting for the hot glue gun to heat up so I can fix my crappy ComfortGel mask AGAIN. It's only about 3 months old and already the cheap plastic clips broke off. I found out shortly after getting the new mask, Apria Healthcare (my CPAP supplier) had the gall to bill my insurance company $450 for this cheaply made piece of junk. (That's just for the mask and hose, mind you, not an entire CPAP machine.) BlueCross/BlueShield only allows me to get a new mask every six months so I have to gerry-rig every mask I get to try to get it to last at least that long.

For that kind of money, you'd think the mask would be made out of military grade titanium instead of flimsy, thin plastic.

Peter_C

Post by Peter_C » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:25 pm

Wow? I don't know what to say? Call me lucky I guess? I used this mask for 3ys (out of 11yrs) and never had any issues???

Based on my hat size I have a big head. Based on what is needed to prevent leaks, I wore a 'small' sized mask.

I know it's wrong - but I usually just pulled my masks off without disconnecting my headgear in any way. Also, only washed mask and gear on average of once weekly...

That said, I do not even take a 30 minute nap without my 'dream machine' (as I call it). So, this thread doesn't really make sense to me personally. Of course, we are all different - but I have yet to "break a mask" - that said, I do ALWAYS have a spare out of paranoia!
HTH

Peter_C
peter@putergeek.com
---
"Did you put water in it tonight Honey?"

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:41 pm

The mask has BEEN IMPROVED and totally redesigned since last summer and is now totally UNBREAKABLE! Make sure you get the most recent version with the beefy elbows.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:16 pm

Guest wrote:The mask has BEEN IMPROVED and totally redesigned since last summer and is now totally UNBREAKABLE! Make sure you get the most recent version with the beefy elbows.
I get a new one from Lincare (Made in China), every 6 months, all I can say is "Where's the Beef". It's not in any Comfort Gel Lincare sent me. That said, reasonable care with using it, gives it a worthwhile lifespan. We have people out there that don't listen, and could break a anvil straighting a hat pin. If they did make it out of military grade titanium, instead of flimsy, thin plastic, then people would complain, it too heavy, and I can't see through it. People are only happy when they have things to complain about.

As we get older, we find we have even more things to complain about. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

luke

Post by luke » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:51 am

I've given up on that mask due to the breaking of the tabs. Instead of epoxy why not try Plastic Welder 2
adhesive available from Mcmaster-Carr supply company. Its part number 14340 for $12.81 per tube.
I havent tried it myself but its supposed to actually fuse the broken pieces together instead of just gripping the pieces
like epoxy would.

Bill

BearFanDan

Post by BearFanDan » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:11 pm

Got my comfortgel 5 weeks ago and the tabs that hold the clip broke last night.

Have been on cpap for 11 years and have had to replace a clip only once after a couple years of use.

Will be returning it and hoping there is something similar from a different mfg.

BearFanDan in Chicago