Special pillows for cpap users

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
raggedykat

Special pillows for cpap users

Post by raggedykat » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:35 pm

Do you really need a special pillow if you are using a cpap?
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
Mohandas Gandhi

jdm2857

Re: Special pillows for cpap users

Post by jdm2857 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:57 pm

Special pillows can be helpful in avoiding mask problems. Since OSA tends to be more severe when sleeping on one's back, many xPAP users tend to sleep on their sides or stomach. With one's face into the pillow, the pillow can push on the mask and cause leaks. Special pillows (buckwheat, memory foam, shapes with cutouts) are designed to either hold their shape (first two) so the user can make a void for the mask or come with designed-in voids.

They're not required but can be a real help in eliminating leaks.
jeff

raggedykat

Post by raggedykat » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:00 pm

Do you use one?
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
Mohandas Gandhi

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:03 pm

I have a Regenisis buckwheat pillow from PurSleep. It's a bit strange at first, but become comfortable pretty quickly. I can make an indentation for my nasal pillows and avoid having them pushed aside.
jeff

plr66

Post by plr66 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:31 pm

raggedykat wrote:Do you really need a special pillow if you are using a cpap?
Yes, I think we do. And I agree with the reasons already given. Fortunately, there are choices that range from $12 for a BigLots contour memory foam pillow (you'll need a folded beach towel or 2-3" slab of cut foam under it to raise it to the right height for side sleeping) to an excellent PurSleep "Regenesis" buckwheat pillow or a cut-out shaped PaPillow, for around $60. There are many threads on bed pillows here that you may want to search. Lots of other choices, but these have been my favorites for side sleeping, which I guess you know is recommended.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:41 pm

plr --

Would stacking two of those BIg Lots pillows work?
jeff

raggedykat

Post by raggedykat » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:42 pm

what type of scents do you use?
Mohandas Gandhi

plr66

Post by plr66 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:00 pm

jdm2857 wrote:plr --Would stacking two of those BIg Lots pillows work?
No. They are contoured with a higher and a lower "bump" to fit your neck-to-shoulder height needed to keep your head level. You need a flat base to raise it up. A cut piece of foam should only cost a few dollars at a fabric store. But try folded towels to begin with, so you get the right height without getting neck pain.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:10 pm

Maybe......maybe not.
This is the one I was using for several years before I started CPAP therapy, but found out it worked very well with it, too.

http://www.chiroflow.com/en/index.html

About a year ago, I tried a night or two with a "regular" pillow and had so many leaks I had to switch back in the middle of the second night.

There are a number of others, but this is the one for me.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Catnap

Post by Catnap » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:01 pm

I already used a water pillow, too, and found it works fine with my masks. I also have a foam rubber pillow that works well, although I have to be a little more careful about how I position my face on it to keep my FFM from leaking. It doesn't matter with the NA II, since it doesn't need the pillow to conform to it or avoid pushing on it.

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:28 pm

I have slept with two memory foam contour pillows put together.

When I first tried the memory foam pillows I purchased them from Wal-Mart (at the time we didn't have a Big Lots). They were simply too flat to be comfortable so I stacked them one on top of the other with the contour sides facing each other -- the taller side against the shorter side, put them into a pillow protector case with zipper and used it like that for quite a while. I was at our local surpus store and a few years ago and found the regular Tempurpedic pillows there in king size for $20.00 and purchased two -- one for me and one for hubby. Loved those pillows as they are still going strong and didn't smash all out or become thin from continual use.

I ended up trialing one of Bret's Regensis pillows and am now converted to using it exclusively.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:04 pm

Nope. I do sleep propped up on several layered pillows to avoid my chronic sinus-allergy-congestion issues, have for yrs. Under my head is a memory-foam contour pillow that I've had for at least 6 yrs. Loved it with my OptiLife and it works well with the Hybrid too. I'm exclusively a side sleeper now.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:54 am

raggedykat,
I love your name. I'll bet you have raggedykat/s.
When you join the strange world of cpap, you will eventually
come in contact w/some strange characters:
gluers, tapers, folks that wear panty hose on their head,
cough tweakers, data junkies, machine junkies, mask junkies,
and pillow slashers. Really good people, just trying to get some sleep.
I won't admit to being all of those things listed,
but, just between you and me.....I resemble a few of them.

....'nough said.
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

Bert_Mathews

Post by Bert_Mathews » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:48 am

Like OTHERS on this forum I have CLOSET full of Junque pillows / masks / head gear / hoses --- LabRat STUFF!

The Pillow thing I think Bret ,<SleepGuy> has found the WINNER.....http://www.pur-sleep.com/products/prodD ... rch=&page=
I think you can try making / folding / COBBLING jnque together like I have -- That's just being a CHEEP OLDFART!Image
-BUT-
Go with what really works and $60 is WORTH a good nights sleep!! OR you could buy $60 on BOOZE for a couple nights of sleep Image

Image Back to what I do!
BERT

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
http://www.sharpstones.com

raggedykat

Post by raggedykat » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:32 am

Wulfman wrote:
Maybe......maybe not.
This is the one I was using for several years before I started CPAP therapy, but found out it worked very well with it, too.

http://www.chiroflow.com/en/index.html

About a year ago, I tried a night or two with a "regular" pillow and had so many leaks I had to switch back in the middle of the second night.

There are a number of others, but this is the one for me.

Den
I contacted them through their website and they told me I had to go to a chiroprator to order one.
Mohandas Gandhi