Bridge of Nose pain and swelling..what to do?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
autotitrater

Bridge of Nose pain and swelling..what to do?

Post by autotitrater » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:03 pm

After 6 years of using nasal masks I suddenly developed over about two nights a really painful swelling over the bridge of my nose, extending about an inch up between my eyebrows. I cannot wear my mask and can barely tolerate my daytime glasses! The bone under this swelling is very very sensitive to pressure or touch. What should I do? I'm trying using an old nostril prong device with "pillows" but even the inflation pressure of using the cpap with this causes pain up at the top of my nose. I sleep on my side always. Any advice welcome, thanks!

Eureka

Re: Bridge of Nose pain and swelling..what to do?

Post by Eureka » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:58 pm

I'm not good on advice being new to this game -- started cpap Jan. 1. But I had a nasal mask and it really did a number on my nose. I was away from home and couldn't change masks, so I just stayed with what I had. Someone on the forum had suggested neosporin and cutting the long tails off bandaids so that they will just have enough tape to hold, and using them as a pad for the mask. I did it and it helped, but my nose remained red and sore. When I got home I bought a Swift LT and really like it. My nose is returning to normal. But your nose is so sore that even a pillow mask hurts. I don't know what to tell you about that. I sure feel for you. Sounds like you need something to get rid of the inflamation -- maybe neosporin topically, or Aleve, which has anti inflamatory qualities. I'm not a Dr -- so just guessing.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:04 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Did you recently change masks? Your description of your problem usually implies a mask too tight or the wrong size, or both. However, with your six years of experience, I would think you would already know what were the obvious explanations.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

autotitrater

Post by autotitrater » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:09 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, Eureka. I will try the anti inflammatory and see what it does. I don't like to take meds. This is the 3rd solid day of this pain and I'll likely go in to the doc if it doesn't ease off by day 5 or so. I think the cold temp in my sleeping area might have caused it....the cpap air was really frosty and I got a lot of moisture buildup all night when I use the heated humidification. Must have shrunk my blood vessels. Thanks again, it's great to get a reply when you think you're the only one with a problem.

damncows

Post by damncows » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:54 pm

I started with respironics masks wore them for a long time tell I developed a allergy to them . sore nose skin breaks down . also the minime sleepnet mask one night with it takes a week to heal. resmed zzzmask fisherpakel all seem fine.

roster

Post by roster » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:55 pm

autotitrater wrote:After 6 years of using nasal masks I suddenly developed over about two nights a really painful swelling over the bridge of my nose, extending about an inch up between my eyebrows. I cannot wear my mask and can barely tolerate my daytime glasses! The bone under this swelling is very very sensitive to pressure or touch. What should I do? I'm trying using an old nostril prong device with "pillows" but even the inflation pressure of using the cpap with this causes pain up at the top of my nose. I sleep on my side always. Any advice welcome, thanks!
Fill our your profile so we know what kind of equipment, including the brand and model of mask, you are using. Also, let us know your pressure settings.