Cure for Swoosh Lines?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sleepless on LI

Cure for Swoosh Lines?

Post by Sleepless on LI » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:23 am

There is another recent thread on this topic I started awhile ago. It has gotten very long. I am posting this in case anyone lost interest because I found something that worked last night for those nasty swoosh lines you wake up with from using the Swift. We have been experimenting to try to come up with a fix, and this worked for me last night finally. I don't know if it will work for you, or even me again tonight, but I am posting it anyway for anyone who might like to give it a try. The below is an excerpt from the last post I wrote this morning on the longer thread:

When I ran to CVS last night to address what everyone is suggesting might be mouth leaks with my leakage report number being higher than it should be, I bought these foam "toe bandages," I believe they're called. They are tubular, three in a pack. I think the two smallest ones may be slightly different in size, but just an iota. They are tubular with no opening and are made of thin foam that you are supposed to cut to size to put on your toe as a bandage so it doesn't get hurt by any of the toes on either side.

Well, I took the straps off the "barrel" last night and slipped one of these babies over the bottom of the straps and slid it up to where it almost reaches to top of the side strap. This morning, I awoke with NOTHING but right above where the bandage stopped. It was barely noticeable. But the "C" mark/swoosh lines were not there at all!!!! I was amazed it worked.

One line I wrote may be misleading. When you place the tubes on the straps, make sure you leave them as close to the bottom of the strap so that they cover the part that makes that "C" on your face. It will still almost reach to the top of the strap anyway, but that "C" swoosh line is gone, as were any other lines that the now covered area of the strap would have left...at least it was for me this morning.

L o R i

Sleepyman

Post by Sleepyman » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:51 am

Thanks Lori! I am so impressed by by all the cpap maskologist on this board, seems I learn something new everyday. I'm off to the drug store. I love my swift but the nike swoosh marks sometimes last for hours on me so I can't wait to try this. I might even sneak home for a nap today.

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:57 am

Sleepyman,

Please let me know if you were as successful as I was. Remember to keep them as low down, close to the bottom of the strap, as possible to try to cover all the blue part before it connects to the barrel area.

Hope it works for you, too.
L o R i

Janelle

Post by Janelle » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:20 am

I'll still stick to my cap, since it doesn't make me lose hair like the strap headgear does.

yawn

Post by yawn » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:20 am

Hi Lori,
I just saw this post after I posted my invention. Did the foam bother your cheeks at all? I covered my padding with a piece of flannel because I wanted to have something very soft against my skin. Maybe I'll try using the tubing for the padding but also cover that with flannel. Either way, i think we've got this problem licked!!!
Amy

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:22 am

Amy,

Did the flannel work for you? The foam didn't irritate my face at all and left absolutely no marks this morning. The only thing I had was a tiny bit of a line just above where the foam stopped, right at the top of the cheekbone, barely noticeable.

Let me know if yours worked. Flannel over the foam would be good for cleaning purposes, although I think this material is akin to the foam filters we wash from the back of our machines. Let me know...
L o R i

Janelle

Post by Janelle » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:29 am

If you are getting Swoosh marks on both sides of your face it may be because you have the straps too tight. Remember, they are supposed to be way looser than you think. I use 3 fingers against my head comfortably as a guide. If you are only getting Swoosh marks on one side it is from laying on that side and having the strap push into your skin. I haven't tried sleeping with the headgear on my REAL Temper Pedic pillow. But that might cure the problem too.

Also why couldn't you just slit the toe foam to slide it on the straps instead of taking the straps off.

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:39 am

Janelle,

I do use a real Tempur Pedic pillow and it didn't help. I actually just bought it to see if it would help, after I moved the hose up and attached it to the top strap, per Rock & Roll's suggestion to eliminate the lines. Worked for him, but not me. I had strap marks on both sides of my face and did try adjusting them in almost every way I could, leaving them loose, too. Maybe not loose enough??? Should it feel like it's falling down until you turn on the machine? That's the only way I haven't left it.

In any event, the tubing is very secure if you don't slit it. It stays in place snugly around the straps. I'm sure you could slit it if you wanted to. No difference. I'm just happy to have figured out a way to stop the swoosh marks.

L o R i

Sleepyman

Post by Sleepyman » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:37 am

Never got to try the toe bandage my wife had chest pains so I was at the hospital all afternoon and evening. She's still having bad chest pains but they can't find anything wrong. Stress test this morning. I hope these Doc's know what they are doing. I'll post when I get a chance to try, but swosh marks aren't so urgent anymore.

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:13 am

No, swoosh lines definitely take a back seat to this one. I hope all will turn out fine with your wife. At least she's getting attention for the chest pains.

Just a thought. I had been put on medication a few months ago for migraine prevention and when they upped my dosage, I started getting severe tightening of the chest and chest pains. Turned out to be side effects from the medication, called Topamax. If she's on that or anything like that type of anti-seizure med for migraine prevention, have the doctors look into it. I was so relieved to find out it wasn't a heart problem, but a medication one. If she's on anything, especially if her dosage changed recently, make sure you mention it to her doctor.

Please keep us posted on how she's doing. Best of luck today.
L o R i

Sleepyman

Post by Sleepyman » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:08 pm

My wife is home, thankfully all her test were normal. She has taken the same meds for 3 years now so they gave a prescription for nitro and told her to make an appointment with Dr. to up her high blood pressure medications. No sleep in the hospital so I guess I better blow the swift exhaust away from her tonight.

yawn

Post by yawn » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:41 pm

Sounds like you got some good news...I'm very happy for you. Now, go crawl into bed and sleep the night away.
Amy

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:59 pm

Sounds like Sleepyman must be very, very sleepy. I am so relieved for the two of you that it turned out all her tests were normal. So what are they attributing the pains to, just some type of angina? That's what they were calling my medication-induced chest pains last month until they realized what was causing it. Another thought was cardio artery spasm. I forget the medical term for it (guess I blocked it out after it was all over). It's where an artery in the heart wall spasms, causing pain and unfortunately cutting off oxygen to the heart. It can be treated with calcium channel blockers, I believe they told me. I just wanted to put the whole episode out of my mind, so I am forgetting a lot of the details. But it was what made me finally decide to be the healthiest me I could be. That's when I cut out all red meats, sugars, no smoking, no caffeine (just one cup in the morrning-have to have my tea) and plenty of water, water, water and exercise three times a week for cardiovascular health. Never been happier.
Hope you have a good night's sleep. Don't forget to try the toe bandages when you get a chance on the Swift. Tell you're wife I'm so glad she's okay.

L o R i

CareS

Cure For Swoosh Lines

Post by CareS » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:47 am

Hi, Out of curiosity and because I am giving thought to purchasing a ResMed Swift .. What are Swoosh Lines? Also would you recommend the Swift? Could you possibly use the thin pantyliners between the straps and the face to prevent "swoosh marks". I have a Comfort Curve and the night I spent wearing the comfort curve I was tired all the next day versus the Aptiva where I felt much more rested. Does anyone notice the difference in how they feel wearing one mask versus another? CareS

WAFlowers

Post by WAFlowers » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:13 am

Swoosh lines are a badge of honor limited to those of us in the not-so-secret society of Swift users.

They are Nike swoosh-shaped marks left on our cheeks (some of us) by the straps. They fade away after we take off the gear.

The CPAPer formerly known as WAFlowers