Aussie Heated Hose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
WillSucceed

Aussie Heated Hose

Post by WillSucceed » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:01 pm

I'm debating the purchase of the Aussie Heated Hose and know from the website that they have a specific hose for the PB 420 series of machines that have the separate sensor tube. Further, that the hose for the 420 series has a 'piggyback' connector for the 420 power supply such that a separate 'Radio Shack' power supply is not needed.

So, here is the question:

Is there an on-off switch for the heated hose or, does it stay 'on' all of the time? Is there any fire hazard with this heated hose?

Thanks!

Buy a new hat, drink a good wine, treat yourself, and someone you love, to a new bauble, live while you are alive... you never know when the mid-town bus is going to have your name written across its front bumper!

Fifi

Post by Fifi » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:05 pm

I have one for my rem star auto. I would guess that since they are from the same people they will operate in the same way.

I switch mine on when I get into bed and then switch it off when i get out of bed in the morning.

No it does not have an on off switch I just unplug it from the wall socket.

I would really reccommend it it is great. The best thing i ever bought.

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:15 pm

I have the aussie heated hose with the piggyback connector which is made specifically for the 420E. There is no on/off switch. I wish there was. I just leave it on all the time and never bother to unplug it from the electrical outlet. I've been wondering if its bad to leave it on all the time.

Fifi

Post by Fifi » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:30 pm

I don't know about yours but mine gets warm and so does the plug. I feel happier if it is unplugged when I am not using it.

Niteair

Post by Niteair » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:54 pm

I also have the heated hose, being used with a Remstar Auto. I would never recommend leaving it powered up without having the blower on your machine on. The air passing thru the hose keeps the internal temperature of the hose within reasonable limits. I have also noticed that the connectors from Radio Shack do get quite warm. they appear to be very marginal as to their ability to carry even the 1 Amp that the hose uses. Better SAFE than Sorry.........unplug the adapter from from your wall outlet when getting up in the morning. I have mine plugged into a surge protector type power strip with a switch and a pilot light ......easier to turn on or off, and gives a visual indication when hose is on.

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:48 pm

Ok thanks for the advice. I have mine on surge protector strip also and will use that switch every am. and pm. from now on. Kind of feeling lucky (and foolish ) that nothing happend in the month I've been leaving it on all the time. Thanks.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:44 am

Good idea about the power strip which would be easy to switch on and off. I've been just leaving my heated hose plugged in "on" all the time since last October. Hadn't had a problem, but luck does have a way of running out, doesn't it? I'll "switch to a switch", too.

dsm

Aussie heated hose

Post by dsm » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:53 am

I must confess that I won't buy one at the price (for us locals the charge is $149AUD and that does not make economic sense).

I want to try a F&P HC604 with heated hose.

I know it is popular in USA but I would like to see some serious competition to this device (the AHH that is).

Cheers

DSM

xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:59 am

Any electrician who realy know that using the piggyback won't "overload" the convertor of the 420 plug, and compromise power supply to the pap itslef?

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:35 am

Here's an interesting thread that makes forking over the money for the SleepZone Heated CPAP Tube (the real name for what we call the "Aussie Heated Hose") more palatable considering it not only ends rainout, but in doing so actually improves the efficacy of our treatment.

Condensation and pressure

Nev

Aussie Heated Hose

Post by Nev » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:43 pm

I bought a heated hose with my 420E before days of the the piggyback cable.

I recently asked SleepZone about the possibility of an upgrade cable, and whether it would overload the 420 power supply.

SleepZone assured me that using the piggyback cable would not overload the 420E power supply. They don't make un upgrade cable so I got my local TV repairman to make a Y cable with the right size plugs and socket for me. So now I can use the heated hose transformer while I'm at home an turn the hose off separately, but take the Y cable when travelling and save space and weight by leaving the transformer and 4-point switched power board at home.

I think however that there may be several different 420E power supplies depending on where you buy it. Mine came from Tyco Australia and is Powertech MP3240 100-240V input, 12V 4A output. As the machine itself only uses 0.75A at 20cmH2O and the heated hose uses 1 amp, there's power to spare.

The 420E manual I got says the power supply module is a Class II power supply with output 13V 1.85A, but it has a sticker pasted under that saying:

"CAUTION - TYCO AUSTRALIA authorises the use of one of the following power supplies:
. Powertec MP3240 ... as above ... this power supply is standard for use in all regions;
. Egston N2GFMW rated at 13V 2A for use in Europe only (optional)"

The sticker is pasted over the words in the original manual:

"Power supply provided with the device Egston N2UFMW 24W 13V or ANAM TA2412 24W 12V."

24W at 13V would be 1.85 amps and 24W at 12V would be 2 amps so the total of 1.75 amps for the hose plus the machine at full speed would still be within the rated output of these power supplies, but not by a great margin.

You might ask the guys at SleepZone to reassure you that using the piggy back cable with the power supplies issued in the USA or other countries is really OK.

PB 420E auto, Silverlining software
DeVilbiss 9100/9200 humidifier/heater
ResMed Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask
Sleepzone heated hose

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:38 am

I live in the USA and my power supply is the third one you listed, as "marginal" So would you not advise the piggyback, also does the machine occassionally use more power, as in when responding to an event with an increase?

Would you recommend buying another higher rated power supply if using the piggyback?

Would be nice if someone could verify with puritan bennet that using the piggyback would not "void our warranty" on these expensive machines.

Just concerned about protecting my investment

Nev

Aussie Heated Hose

Post by Nev » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:14 pm

Guest asks:
I live in the USA and my power supply is the third one you listed, as "marginal" So would you not advise the piggyback, also does the machine occassionally use more power, as in when responding to an event with an increase?

Would you recommend buying another higher rated power supply if using the piggyback?
I can't really answer these questions. Best to email SleepZone specifically about your power supply and see what they say. I guess if a power supply is rated for up to 2 amps or 1.85 amps they should be OK to use up to that limit.

I think the specification of the power consumption for the 420E as 0.75 amps at 20cmH2O with a 4mm leak implies that the power required at lower pressures would be less - the 0.75 should be a maximum. Mine goes at between 6 and 8 most of the time and hardly ever gets to 10. (i've set it to a max of 12 and it has never gone that high yet.)

PB 420E auto, Silverlining software
DeVilbiss 9100/9200 humidifier/heater
ResMed Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask
Sleepzone heated hose

Maskedmechanic

Post by Maskedmechanic » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:00 pm

Looks like the Kiwi's are getting into the Heated Hose business with computer controls of both the heated humidifier and the heated hose. What is with those folks down under?? Here is the link .https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fisher ... -cpap.html

glassgal

Post by glassgal » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:38 pm

Hi everyone,

I know that I haven't been around for a while -- problems and no time!

I recently got the heated hose with the pigtail and found that my PB420e shut down intermittently the first night. I looked at the the power supply amperage rating, the rating on the PB420e and the rating of the heated hose and decided that the powersupply couldn't handle all of it. I ordered another powersupply from our hosts at CPAP.COM and put some rubber tubing over the extra plug so that it wouldn't short out. Everything now works fine.

I guess that the moral of the story is that you should look at the labels and do the math before you buy or hook up -- fortunately my machine seems to be working correctly after the problem night.

I also had to install my own sensor line in the heated hose -- they were in such a hurry to ship that they didn't notice that I said PB420e. Not a huge problem, but annoying.

Buyer beware!

Jane

Sleep well,

Jane

PB 420e -- 10-17 cm/H2O
heated humidifier
NasalAireII
Aura that I have deconstructed & am making a
new headgear for.