Denture Wearers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DoriC

Denture Wearers

Post by DoriC » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:42 pm

I'm a first time poster looking for help for my "senior" hubby who finally started treatment 2wks ago. Many of my questions have already been answered here and I have many more, but for now what is the consensus for wearing or not wearing dentures with a FF mask? We asked our Dr but he just shrugged so I'm coming to the pros for advice.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Slinky

Re: Denture Wearers

Post by Slinky » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:12 pm

Most dentists seem to pitch a fit if you wear your dentures all night. As long as the dentures fit really well I see no reason that a full face CPAP mask would be a reason to break the habit of wearing or not wearing the dentures at night. I COULD see it making a difference with a nasal cushion style mask where a better fit could be obtained by wearing the dentures (at least upper dentures).

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:20 pm

Thanks for the fast reply, I'm really asking if a FF mask would seal better if dentures were in, because the face kind of sinks in when the dentures are out. Hope I'm making myself clear.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:33 pm

And THAT is why I am saying that it is BETTER to wear the dentures for a better fit WITH A NASAL CUSHION style mask. BUT it should really make no difference w/most full face masks. I guess it depends on whether that particular model full face lays on the lower jaw or the chin.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:17 am

The Dental community will suggest you remove them at night to maintain gum tissue health:
I believe if you check with your husbands Dentist or Prosthdontist, they will recommend that the dentures be removed for at least 8 hours per day out of every 24 hr. period. Normally the best time to do that is during sleep.

The reason for removing them is to give the gum tissue a "breather" from the constant pressure placed on the gum tissue by the denture. Constant pressure by the denture can cause the gum tissue to shrink. When that happens the denture becomes loose and moves around creating sores. By removing them at night you restore normal blood flow to the tissue, restored blood flow keeps the gum tissue healthy where they can continue to support the denture. Keep in mind that is the only thing supporting the dentures is the gum tissue between the denture and the remaining bone.

Now toss in OSA and Dentures into the mix:
While there is very little information on this, there was a recent study done by UCLA School of Denistry on this very topic, it suggests that fewer apnea were seen when the dentures remained in the mouth during sleep. For obvious reasons, when the dentures are worn the dentures support the lip and face tissue which eliminates that "sunken face" syndrome associated with tooth loss and age. This gives the mask some place to seal against. With the dentures out even the nasal mask interface will have difficulty sealing with the loss of the upper teeth. Wearing dentures restores that natural face shape and makes it easier to seal.

I'll try and find the study and append them to this thread. I actually know several of the Professors at UCLA and had discussions with them on this topic, my daughter is a Dentist and graduated from UCLA, I'll find out from her which study it was.

You have to decide which is the lesser of the two evils; Do you remove the dentures so your gum tissue remains healthy? or do you wear them and stop the effects of untreated OSA? Obviously you try to do both. Gum loss won't kill you, OSA can. Since eating is a vital function you need to maintain gum heath to support the dentures, some options might be:

1. Remove the dentures during the day, he needs to remove them at least 4-6 hours, 4 hours is better than 0 hours, gum tissue needs to have blood supply restored. Dentures need that gum tissue support so they continue to fit properly. Loss of the underlying bone and gum tissue is the reason dentures no longer fit.

2. Consider having 2 or more implants placed to support the dentures. Implants act like teeth and have been found by Noble Biocare to reduce bone loss even if there is only 2. Implants help support the pressure of the denture especially with the mandible or lower denture. Having just 2 implants placed will keep the lower denture from floppying around on the ridge and restore quality of life. If your husbands lower ridge has regressed he should see his dentist about getting a couple implants, his denture will ride on those be better supported and slow bone loss.

3. While I hate them, use a pillow style mask interface like a Swift. This interface type doesn't rely on facial structure to maintain the seal. If he can use this type of interface (requires a heated hose if you sleep in a cool room).

4. If he wears his dentures at night so he can use a conventional nasal or Full Face mask he can do that, just remove the dentures during the daytime to give the gums a break. You need to do both.

Personally, I would see a Prosthdontist. Of course I am biased, but I'd look for one that graduated from or is a Professor at UCLA. They specialize in dentures and implants, the trick is finding one with lots of experience (old guy more likely to have it) and that also understands the perils of Obstructive Sleep apnea.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

CPAPandDenture

Post by CPAPandDenture » Thu May 11, 2017 7:13 pm

I am a four year CPAP user and a five month full denture wearer also. I sleep without my dentures in and use a pillow mask with a chin strap. I use an app to monitor my usage. I have had good results. My pillow mask when properly fitted and correctly worn should press gently up against the nose not back against the lip.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu May 11, 2017 7:59 pm

I miss Dori. Hope she is doing well.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Fri May 12, 2017 3:27 am

Wow... her first post... thanks froggie...

Sheriff

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri May 12, 2017 9:06 am

It wasn't me.
Just a guest, reviving a very old thread.
Sometimes they find good stuff.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Fri May 12, 2017 9:44 am

Oh I miss her too, when I saw her photo avatar I shed a tear. Is there anyone that knows Dori ..how about you Jeff or Dave.. can't you find out how she is doing, we would so love to hear from her again. or at least to hear that she is doing well with her beloved family all around her.
We all send our best wishes your way Dori, you were such a great influence to all of us at one time or another... love you.
Cheers and hugs
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Fri May 12, 2017 11:40 am

The forum hasn't been the same since she's been gone. I miss her too.