What is your AHI average?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

What is your average AHI?

0-2
64%
2-4
17%
4-6
6%
Greater than 6
12%

Total votes: 201

lvehko

What is your AHI average?

Post by lvehko » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:36 am

I found the thread on this to be interesting, so I decided to set up a poll.

M.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:51 am

Hi, I guess I'm a little curious to know what the point is here - are you looking to compare your stats with others, or what?

track

Post by track » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:05 am

I would think everyone would be curious as to how effective their treatment is compared to others. I sure am. I noticed in the thread I started on this subject that most of the very low numbers were NOT in resmed machines. Maybe that is just coincidence but I doubt it.

I just hope this is not like the golf forum when the question is asked "what is your handicap or what did you shoot last time out". The only ones that answer are the very low handicappers and those with vanity caps. The vast majority of golfers who shoot higher scores don't want to admit how high they shoot so they don't answer. I hope that's not the case among cpapers but I suspect it is.

track

Post by track » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:06 am

Thanks Minerva...I tried to set up a poll when I asked the question, but couldn't figure out how to run a poll on this site.

Catnapper

poll

Post by Catnapper » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:17 am

I think it would be interesting to compare before and after AHI. It would be encouraging to see that some of the people who had those incredibly high AHI numbers were able to get good effects from CPAP.

Part of the equation is also the O2 sat number.

My before AHI was 32 and O2 was 71%. Nothing like those who post here who had over 100 AHI, but enough to convince me I needed to work to fix that.

My after AHI, as I reported in the other thread, is 0.1 for the last 3 months. My O2% at the last sleep study was 95% at its lowest.

Knowing those numbers keeps my nose to the hose, like it or not.

Catnapper

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:56 am

track wrote:I would think everyone would be curious as to how effective their treatment is compared to others. I sure am. I noticed in the thread I started on this subject that most of the very low numbers were NOT in resmed machines. Maybe that is just coincidence but I doubt it.

I just hope this is not like the golf forum when the question is asked "what is your handicap or what did you shoot last time out". The only ones that answer are the very low handicappers and those with vanity caps. The vast majority of golfers who shoot higher scores don't want to admit how high they shoot so they don't answer. I hope that's not the case among cpapers but I suspect it is.
I don't play golf ... so I'm not sure what you mean by "vanity cap". I assumed you started your thread to find out what kind of numbers were possible ... and basically, as your thread shows, some get under 1.0 and some get under 5.0 and others higher. Everyone is different with regard to their level of treatment, their treatment needs, and consequently, their AHI numbers.

I did notice that you did not post your own numbers ... I don't think a high AHI is anything to be ashamed of. Yes, ResMed machines are biased towards higher numbers but that is because of the way that they detect hyponeas. It does not mean they are less effective.

I tried to answer in my post with additional info regarding my experience with different machines and exhalation settings. I posted the charts so people could see that good numbers require a fairly steady leak rate (compatible with your specific mask) ... I should have stated that in the post but it was getting late and I was ready to catch my nightly breeze.

This treatment is not easy but it is doable with patience and determination. The real handicapped folks are the ones who do not find their way to this forum and the most unfortunate ones are the one who have not been diagnosed or refuse to be treated. It is all about perspective and I think you are wrong to view this treatment as a game like golf

BTW - Catnapper's post is another more interesting way of looking at handicaps regarding this treatment.

Last edited by DreamStalker on Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

jsmythe

Post by jsmythe » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:12 am

I totally agree DreamStalker:
This treatment is not easy but it is doable with patience and determination. The real handicapped folks are the ones who do not find their way to this forum and the most unfortunate ones are the one who have not been diagnosed or refuse to be treated. It is all about perspective and I think you are wrong to view this treatment as a game like golf
This is not a game by no means.

My AHI is usually 1.0 to 1.3 with my Activa mask. Around 1.0 with the Headrest. Before my cpap machine,(at sleep study) I had a minimum of 80 an hour. Now, more like 3 to 6. Days when I am sick or very tired the number are much higher.

Started using cpap Sept. 12, 2007
Respironics PR System One Bi-Pap Auto w/Flex,pressure of 9/15, do not use ramp

gandalf

Post by gandalf » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:22 am

Have been doing cpap for 2 weeks. I am deep into the mask and leak wars and expect I will be for some time. I turned off AFLEX after 1 day as we were not compatible dance partners. I turned CFLEX off after a week..we remain friends but I can do fine on my own.

I was titrated at 9 and my "before" AHI was 59.

I started APAP at 7-11 and have averaged 3.5 over the first week and a half. I dropped the 7, and have averaged 1.1 over the past half week. I expect I'll drop the 8 soon and should be able to average under 1.

Still awaiting nirvana of a comfortable mask that lets me sleep on my sides without leaks!

A thank you to the group for all of the great info and answering my occasional odd question!!

Bonnie

Post by Bonnie » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:57 am

Before: 100+
After: pretty consistant at .5 or lower.

With a lot of help from my forum friends..... ..

Bonnie

"People who say they slept like a baby apparently never had one"

kluzo

Post by kluzo » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:40 am

Before - 52
after one month - 5.4 AND IF FEEL GRRRRRRRRREAT!

My o2 according to my sleep study was in the 70's but it did not give me an avg. over the night.

I completly agree with DreamStalker in that the one's handicapped are the one's that don't find this forum. I have told a few people about this forum as well as cpap.com I know that I would have been somewhat lost if it was not for the help here.

Cheers

track

Post by track » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:13 pm

I don't play golf ... so I'm not sure what you mean by "vanity cap".

I did notice that you did not post your own numbers ... I don't think a high AHI is anything to be ashamed of.

A vanity cap is where a person says they shoot in the 70s but in reality they can't break 80. It makes them feel good about themselves..... until they get in a competition and then they can't come close to shooting the numbers they say they shoot regularly. The opposite is called a sandbagger...some one that says they shoot higher than they actually do. They are the ones that often win handicapped tournaments and make everyone think they are a cheater.

My numbers in the last 6 months are based on side sleeping(somethjing I started late last summer) and are down from my yearly average of around 5.5. My stomach won't handle the pressure required to keep my AHI down if I sleep on my back. Even though I side sleep nothing I have tried is 100% effective against rolling on my back so I have some good nights and some not so good nights when I manage to get all or part way on my back.
An average night lately is an AHI 4 with an AI around .5 give or take a tenth or two.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): AHI

Brian2

Post by Brian2 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:40 pm

ResMed machines are biased towards higher numbers but that is because of the way that they detect hyponeas. It does not mean they are less effective.

Thats interesting. I have been a little concerned because I have managed to get my leak rate down to 0.3 L/sec average, AI to 0.7 but my HI is still up around the 5.5, and i can't figure out why.
Brian

admiralross

My AHI

Post by admiralross » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:45 pm

From 11/9/2007 - 02/13/2008 AHI is 5.2.

Y! admiral.ross | MSN: admiral.ross
AOL: admiralwross | rlocone.com

lvehko

Post by lvehko » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:48 pm

Just a little bump and to say, wow, 75% of us have AHI's between 0-2. That's pretty good, I think.

Interesting about the Resmed machines, too. I've never used anything but the one I have now, so I have nothing to compare with, but my HI is usually between 4 and 6, while by AI is usually below 1. It'd be great if I could blame this on the machine.

M.

lvehko

Post by lvehko » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:54 pm

Julie wrote:Hi, I guess I'm a little curious to know what the point is here - are you looking to compare your stats with others, or what?
I'm just interested in seeing where people fall on the scale of their AHI, I'm not really sure why. Just nosy, I guess. I've never been able to get mine below 4, but I still feel like I'm getting good benefits from CPAP, and I've read posts here from people whose AHI is as high as 10 who still feel like they're getting good results. So I was just curious if the vast majority of CPAPers were down around that magic zero number, or whether the majority closer to having a higher AHI average.

M.