Lab Rat Heat for PAP Hose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
krousseau

Lab Rat Heat for PAP Hose

Post by krousseau » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:47 am

You all know I believe in the germ theory & using a heated hose that I couldn't soak in disinfectant has not appealed to me. But having experienced a "frozen" nose last winter I was ready to get an Aussie hose anyway and sorry I hadn't planned ahead to have it here for cold weather. I was wishing they made a long skinny heating blanket for the hose. Then laying in the chiropractor's office with the heating pad on my back I thought why not?!? Got a heating pad on the way home. Set it up with an 8 foot fleece covered PAP hose. Excess hose is coiled inside the heating pad cover. I turned it on 20 minutes before using the PAP.Works like a charm, hose can be disinfected, less expensive, easy to replace, and it is here now. May order the 10 foot hose to allow more heat exchange-if needed.

One other thing that has been handy for hose management is those little badge clips you can buy at office supply places. Attach the clip to velcro bundling ties (velcro electrical ties about 6" long) and you can clip your PAP hose to sheets, blankets, furniture, pajamas...The clips keep the above described heated hose securely on the heating pad and attached to the bedding. Think they are sold for a few dollars-these cost about 50 cents or less to make.

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.....Galbraith's Law

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:04 am

Ya done it again, Kay!

Your clever solution earned you another of these:

New readers: To see more fixes for all kinds of things, click here:
LINKS to Lab Rat Trophy awards
viewtopic.php?t=15104

eljay

Post by eljay » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:40 am

Great idea!! Did you leave the heating pad on all night? And what setting did you have it on (low, med, high)? I've been thinking of getting a heated hose but just haven't gotten around to it, but I do have a heating pad and I think I'll try this tonight!

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:44 am

I think some of the newer heating pads have a timed automatic shutoff,
might want to be sure the pad your buying will stay on all night

deerslayer

Post by deerslayer » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:13 am

NICE! i was even wondering how those electrical wraps would work that u place around crawl space pipes to keep from freezing. or maybe those inexpensive disposable hot hands pkgs. that hunters use placed around hose. they last for 6-8 hours. knock on wood i haven't had the need to try yet

thanks to Nick sleep HQ
Feeling Blessed & firmly believe in The Holy Trinity 🙏

ScottK

heating pad fire

Post by ScottK » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:24 am

I applaud your resourcefulness on the heating pad, but just have to give a note of warning. There was a recent death of an 88 year old woman in my area caused by a faulty heating pad overheating and causing a fire.

" Heating pad started fire; death cause uncertain
September 27, 2007
By Jeff Starck Wausau Daily Herald MERRILL -- A faulty heating pad was the cause of a fire Tuesday in Merrill home in which an 88-year-old woman was found dead, according to police. Results of an autopsy conducted Tuesday morning did not indicate how Lucille Heath died, interim Police Chief Ned Seubert said in a statement. The official cause of her death will not be known for several months, he said."

Some heating pads are not meant to be run for hours on end, and I would be very careful about using it while sleeping. Please read all the warnings on heating pad you have. I wouldn't want this tragic accident to happen to anyone else.

If you want to read more about this, go to WausauDailyHerald.com and search for heating pad.

Thanks for your time reading this.

JeffH

Re: heating pad fire

Post by JeffH » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:47 am

ScottK wrote:I applaud your resourcefulness on the heating pad, but just have to give a note of warning. There was a recent death of an 88 year old woman in my area caused by a faulty heating pad overheating and causing a fire.

" Heating pad started fire; death cause uncertain
September 27, 2007
By Jeff Starck Wausau Daily Herald MERRILL -- A faulty heating pad was the cause of a fire Tuesday in Merrill home in which an 88-year-old woman was found dead, according to police. Results of an autopsy conducted Tuesday morning did not indicate how Lucille Heath died, interim Police Chief Ned Seubert said in a statement. The official cause of her death will not be known for several months, he said."

Some heating pads are not meant to be run for hours on end, and I would be very careful about using it while sleeping. Please read all the warnings on heating pad you have. I wouldn't want this tragic accident to happen to anyone else.

If you want to read more about this, go to WausauDailyHerald.com and search for heating pad.

Thanks for your time reading this.

Especially since everything comes from China these days. That's probably why most of the new ones only work for 1.5 hrs before shutting off automatically.

krousseau

Post by krousseau » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:00 pm

Thanks for the reminder I didn't say anything about being cautious with any lab ratting--I think I'm careful; for this one I went for heating pads made in the U.S., UL approved for what it is worth, ones w/o an auto shutoff. No pins, no water, don't lay on them, smoke alarm, keep it on low, store flat, also make my own all cotton covers. Avoid bargain heating pads and only use them for one season. I guess I could use one that shuts off after 2 hr since I usually wake up enough every night to reset it.
Made in the US-for sure not in China-is a consideration of any purchase these days.
That bring up a question. Does the label "Made in USA" mean none of the components in an item were made elsewhere. For example a switch on a heating pad being made in China but the pad assembled in the US????

The heater for pipes get too hot-I have one in the pumphouse and checked it out.

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.....Galbraith's Law

Pilot_Ron

Post by Pilot_Ron » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:08 pm

[quote="deerslayer"]NICE! i was even wondering how those electrical wraps would work that u place around crawl space pipes to keep from freezing. or maybe those inexpensive disposable hot hands pkgs. that hunters use placed around hose. they last for 6-8 hours. knock on wood i haven't had the need to try yet

mtstromberg

Post by mtstromberg » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:13 am

This is a trick I used for years, but I realized that the heating pad was inflating as it heated up. Never did that before, but after a lot of use it developed some sort of gas pressure inside that made it useless for normal use, and I decided that it probably wasn't a good idea to use on the cpap. That's before I learned that there were heated humidifiers and heated hoses. I suffered needlessly for years.

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:22 am

We have some manufacturing companies in this area and many, if not all, of their parts are made overseas and then the finished product is assembled here. We had a Levi's company here and some of their jeans even came from overseas and they sewed on the labels and they were stamped "Assembled in the USA" although all that was done here was the label.

It is buyer beware!!

We do have a couple of manufacturing plants that DO make all of their own parts.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.