Swift Nasal Pillows HURTS!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tampa Tom

Swift Nasal Pillows HURTS!

Post by Tampa Tom » Thu May 19, 2005 6:14 am

So, my first night and I had to take the nasal pillows off halfway through - it was pressing up too hard on the bottom of my nose and it hurt like heck.

Tonight, I have got to spend more time getting it as loose as possible without coming off....
Take off you hoseheads!
---- Bob McKenzie (Strange Brew - 1983)

Remstar Auto with CFlex (5 - 15)
Swift Mask with Medium Nasal Pillows

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Thu May 19, 2005 6:29 am

That happened to me the first time too and it ended up being that I was using too small of a size. I thought actually that I was using the perfect size but when I moved up to a size larger I have not had this problem since. Now it is my favorite interface.

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Thu May 19, 2005 8:11 am

TT,

Like R&R, I too ended up going up a size on the pillows to make it feel better. Another thing to try is when you have it on and the machine running pull down on the head gear. You will find that you can adjust it to have just very light pressure on your nose and still seal. I couldn't use the Breeze because it pushed too hard on my nose and , for me, there was no way to adjust it.
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

G00fy217

Post by G00fy217 » Thu May 19, 2005 9:09 am

Hey Tampa... I took Waders' advice a few months ago and moved up to a large size as well... it works a lot better! Also, try using Ayr Gel... the Waders was kind enough to pass that along to me too... it works great! Good luck to you!!
Laughter never killed anyone..... Go ahead, laugh! It's good for you!! ;-)

Tampa Tom

Post by Tampa Tom » Thu May 19, 2005 10:17 am

Alas, my schnaz is so large, I am already on the largest size...

I will try loosening the headgear and working with the ayr gel tonite...
Take off you hoseheads!

Janelle

Post by Janelle » Thu May 19, 2005 5:01 pm

I had some nasal irritation when I first starting using nasal pillows and found that a little Neosporin on the sore places took care of it. After about a week I no longer needed anything and there was no more irritation.

This is just something that is irritating only because your nose is not used to something like that. Remember how the bridge of your nose hurt when you first started wearing glasses? Same thing. once the body "adjusts" you won't have any more need for gels, etc.

snork1

Post by snork1 » Thu May 19, 2005 9:05 pm

AYR gel and looser straps and large size are all good tips.
I must admit that mask rotation was the final thing that made all the difference for me. Alternating with an Activa gave my nares time to toughen up, instead of just developing sores.
Remember:
What you read above is only one data point based on one person's opinion.
I am not a doctor, nor do I even play one on TV.
Your mileage may vary.
Follow ANY advice or opinions at your own risk.
Not everything you read is true.

Niteair

Post by Niteair » Fri May 20, 2005 3:13 am

I didn't think that I could ever get used to the nasal pillows with the Aura mask, until in desperation, I cut the extensions that go into the nose back to ALMOST flush with the pillows, allowing just enough for self centering. I have had NO sore nose problems since, and sometimes wake up thinking that I haven't even got the mask on. Have had NO leakage problems either, and good results with the Data from Encore Pro, (8 cm H2O - 14 cm H2O)

Tampa Tom

Post by Tampa Tom » Fri May 20, 2005 6:08 am

Hey, Janelle - I've got 20/20's! No glasses for me

Had a better night last night with the swift - still hurt, but I tried a quick smear of KY on the pillows, and that was a big improvement. I wore the CPAP from 9:30 until 4:30 this morning... Very big improvement.

Also, I noticed that when I slept on my side, mask was pushed up by the pillow and the nasal pillows were digging into my septum. That's where most of my trouble seemed to be coming from.....
Take off you hoseheads!

LITTLEBIT

SOME ONE HELP PLEASE

Post by LITTLEBIT » Fri May 20, 2005 4:02 pm

HOW DO YOU KEEP THE HEAD GEAR ON FOR THE NOSE PILLOWS I STARTED THIS CPAP GAME ABOUT TWO WEEKS AGO AND I AM TO THE POINT WHERE THEY NEED TO COME GET IT OR I AM GOING TO THROW IT ON THE INTERSTATE BECAUSE I CAN'T KEEP IT ON THROUGH OUT THE NIGHT OR MY NOSE HURTS SO BAD I DON'T WANT IT ON. SOME ONE HELP ME PLEASE

G00fy217

Post by G00fy217 » Fri May 20, 2005 4:05 pm

Hey Tampa! 20/20 here too!

But that's not what I was chiming in to say anyways....

I use the ayr gel and I actually apply it to the inside of my nostrils with a
Q-tip rather than applying it directly to the nasal pillows. Also, try tightening your head gear rather than loosening it. I found that if my headgear is tight then it doesn't get pushed around by the pillow (the one under the head and not in the nose! ). Just a thought.... it might work a little better for you.

Ok... I am off! Talk to you all later!!

gailzee

Re: SOME ONE HELP PLEASE

Post by gailzee » Fri May 20, 2005 4:06 pm

yes, we have all thrown our headgear from time to time. Do not give up. Do you have the straps too tight, causing the na. pillows to dig in, or push your ose up? Which one do you have, the swift? Loosen the straps ever so slightly. One tip I found, I will play with the da-- thing BEFORE going to bed, otherwise, I'd be aggravating myself when going into bed, and thus not sleeping and on and on and on it goes (that interstate fits in about at this point). Don't feel bad, I found my swift on the floor detached from the hose, the hose off the machine entirely, and my chin strap on the bathroom carpet, and I don't remember any of it. Point is, don't worry, we've all been there, and from time to time, the comfort factor rears it's head. Esp. in the early days of using it.

Gailzee
4 mos. and counting.........
LITTLEBIT wrote:HOW DO YOU KEEP THE HEAD GEAR ON FOR THE NOSE PILLOWS I STARTED THIS CPAP GAME ABOUT TWO WEEKS AGO AND I AM TO THE POINT WHERE THEY NEED TO COME GET IT OR I AM GOING TO THROW IT ON THE INTERSTATE BECAUSE I CAN'T KEEP IT ON THROUGH OUT THE NIGHT OR MY NOSE HURTS SO BAD I DON'T WANT IT ON. SOME ONE HELP ME PLEASE

G00fy217

Re: SOME ONE HELP PLEASE

Post by G00fy217 » Fri May 20, 2005 4:12 pm

LITTLEBIT wrote:HOW DO YOU KEEP THE HEAD GEAR ON FOR THE NOSE PILLOWS I STARTED THIS CPAP GAME ABOUT TWO WEEKS AGO AND I AM TO THE POINT WHERE THEY NEED TO COME GET IT OR I AM GOING TO THROW IT ON THE INTERSTATE BECAUSE I CAN'T KEEP IT ON THROUGH OUT THE NIGHT OR MY NOSE HURTS SO BAD I DON'T WANT IT ON. SOME ONE HELP ME PLEASE
Hey Littlebit.... Everyone here is here to help one another and we definitely don't want you to give up! Please read through the passages (comments) throughout this site.... you will find help! Read above and you will get some inside help as well. It does take time, but you will do it and make it just like the rest of us. Sure, I still have some problems with it, but I have put in a little over 600 hours on the darn thing so far! (Patting myself on the back).... But don't let that make you think I am a pro at this thing either. I still have problems with it. My nose is so sore and will bleed at times, but I deal with it..... Try using AYR Gel on the inside of your nostrils. A good friend from this forum, Waders, is the one that gave me that tip. It works... then I apply neosporin in the morning to take care of the scabs.

Good Luck... You can do it!! Waders is our Pro-Hosehead - I am sure he would be more than happy to assist you in anyway he can and of course, there are SOOOO MANY OTHERS that are on this forum that are as experience as Waders and will also be more than happy to help you out... I am just a pion in this forum! Take Care and Best of Luck!!

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri May 20, 2005 4:36 pm

Also, I noticed that when I slept on my side, mask was pushed up by the pillow and the nasal pillows were digging into my septum.
Hey, TampaTom...how do you feel about wearing pantyhose? Crazy question, I know. Here's why I ask such a thing...

Might not work for you, but the Aura mask by Aeiomed has the softest, smushiest, squashiest nasal pillows of any nasal pillows interface I've used -- Breeze, which used to be my favorite and still is a very close second favorite; and the Swift, which I didn't like for several reasons, including the barrel jamming a nasal pillow into the septum when I was on my side.

Annnyyyywayyy - check out what I did to my Aura to get rid of all the headgear and make it the best nasal pillows interface I've ever used, for any sleeping position. I'm a toss and turn side sleeper.

Link to my "deconstructed" Aura complete with "how-to" pics. Might not work for others, but sure made it work comfortably for me. I use cut-off pantyhose legs for the homemade straps:

Posted by LCM (Lorraine) Apr 27 2005 subject: My Hair! It's Being Destroyed!

snork1

castor bean oil

Post by snork1 » Fri May 20, 2005 8:02 pm

I might as well throw it in here, even though I seem to be the only one that is even willing to try it in the CPAP world......

My famous Castor Bean oil suggestion for sore noses(topical application only). It heals, it lubes, its cheap. Available at pharmacies in the "digestive aide" section...which IS something I do NOT want to think about, or on-line in big ole bottles from your local vitamin/supplements place.

I rub some into my nose AND add a layer of AYR gel. The Castor Oil lasts longer than the AYR, but the combo just is more comfy. Anyone who remembers Edgar Cayce....he swore by the stuff for its healing properties.

I rub some more into my nose in the morning to keep it healing. Good for chapped lips too.

It is also vegetable based and has not yet caused me any problems with attacking plastics of the interfaces, although I wash contact points daily. This is unlike vaseline which IS petroleum based and is more likely to cause problems with interfaces.

Castor oil is good for rubbing into bruises and sprains too...just as an off topic side bar.
Remember:
What you read above is only one data point based on one person's opinion.
I am not a doctor, nor do I even play one on TV.
Your mileage may vary.
Follow ANY advice or opinions at your own risk.
Not everything you read is true.