having to noticably catch my breath

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bdmiller

having to noticably catch my breath

Post by bdmiller » Sat May 14, 2005 6:06 pm

I've been having cases the past week where I've had to catch my breath. It happens during the day. I'll be sitting in front of the computer, for instance, and I'll find I have to take a deep breath to catch my breath.

I don't know if it's allergies (I haven't been diagnosed with that yet), or if it's high blood pressure (my last visit to the doctor revealed my blood pressure was on the high side) or if it's sleep related.

Is there a proper setting for a humidifier? I have had my humidifier set on the lowest setting since I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea about 6 months ago. Could a lack of humidity be causing my breathless moments?

Any help appreciated.

Brad

unclebob

Post by unclebob » Sat May 14, 2005 9:38 pm

Hi bdmiller,

Sort of happens to me sometimes, especially when in front of the computer as I seem to get so engrossed in what I'm doing that I just forget to breathe. Then I take a deep breath or most often just yawn.

I'm overweight and couch potatoe type so if you're similar maybe you and I just need to get off our fannies a little more often and get some fresh air.

You first!!

Bob F
unclebob

Tumbleweed

Post by Tumbleweed » Sun May 15, 2005 10:27 am

It's also possible that you are like me, in that I have not only obstructive apnea, but also a degree of what's called central apnea. There are times that my brain just forgets to breath for a bit and then will catch up with those sudden deep breaths. This happens to me at night and at times during the day.... esp. when I am really concentrating on something on the computer, for example. The CPAP doesn't help with central apnea, but it never causes any problems with my oxygenation levels.

Just a thought...........

ResMed Swift Nasal Interface- Medium

8 years and going strong!

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun May 15, 2005 2:31 pm

bdmiller: unclebob's and Tumbleweed's comments are on target -- about how people often hold their breath and then take a deep breath to catch up, while awake and concentrating on something. I do that, too, especially while working at the computer.

Links to good information by Christine (christinequilts) about "central apnea":

Click "Page 2" when you go to this first topic link, and read christinequilts' 2nd post on Page 2 -- for reassurance regarding the normal nature of some central apneas.
Mar 26, 2005 subject: 1 mo. CPAPer/mild apneac with doubts & detailed PSG resu

Jan 26, 2005 subject: Apneas, Central Apneas and Hypopneas

Apr 26, 2005 subject: Newbie to the CPAP World, Also a few questions...

melody

Post by melody » Mon May 16, 2005 9:44 am

It could also be GERD--acid reflux. My sleep doc also sent me to a Gastroentronogist as I have apneas while awake. OSA will weaken the spinkther that shuts the stomach--you struggle so hard to breathe, that the stomach opens up a bit and the acid comes up the esophagus. Once weakened, the spinkther remains open and reflux is your life. GET IT UNDER CONTROL NOW. All kinds of nasty are possible with acid reflux including worsened apneas during sleep (acid in the lungs and I will die feeling while struggling to breathe again). I take a proton zapper 2 times a day and raised the head of my bed with 2 edging blocks (4 inches high) from Home Depot--a fairly friendly version of the DME.
Despite 5+ years of CPAP, I still nod off while sitting up awake (movies, church, air planes) and have apneas that alarm the people sitting next to me. So I kinda lean forward, breathe thru my mouth, chew gum, fight sleep. But I'm still alive.
melody

80winks

"remembering" to breathe

Post by 80winks » Wed May 18, 2005 10:19 am

rested gal wrote:bdmiller: unclebob's and Tumbleweed's comments are on target -- about how people often hold their breath and then take a deep breath to catch up, while awake and concentrating on something. I do that, too, especially while working at the computer. Newbie to the CPAP World, Also a few questions...[/b][/URL]
I think rested gal is right. When I was a kid, I was playing on a basketball team with a wonderful coach. He was a coach in the real sense of the word; not just a sociopathic adult living out his unrealized fantasies through kids.

He noticed that I seemed to take a deep breath before each foul shot and HOLD it until after I shot. I remember back and know that sometimes, since I was already out of breath from running, it was actually very uncomfortable to not breath until I felt "ready" to shoot the ball. But I was REALLY focused on something that was VERY important to me. I won't bore you with anecdotes to indicate HOW important b-ball was at that age, but it was EVERYTHING to me.

My coach taught me to continue breathing while I got set to take the shot... take a deep breath as I lined it up... then exhale and ... when the breath was almost gone, shoot the ball. Bingo. I went from a mediocre foul shooter to the best on the team. This lesson stayed with me all my llife. I used it in playing golf (after I realized that I was holding my breath before each shot until after the swing) and many other non-sports-related sitiuations... particularly programming computer applications and working through any multi-faceted problem, project plan, etc.

Here's what I have come to understand about it. Some of us seem to give our entire brain over to what we are concentrating on... I think due to anxiety over the possibility of failing. The irony is that we are not taking care of the most important part of the solution. Ourselves. We must remember to breathe. And each breath is a gift of life. Nothing is more important than that, no matter what our anxiety tells us. Practice noticing whether you are breathing or not when you are doing something. (I even hold my breath when I'm doing the dishes!) You will probably notice that there are many times when you aren't breathing. Stop for a moment. Put it in perspective. Live in this moment as much as possible. Each breath is the gift of life.

I love experimenting with this because, although I am about to get on CPAP, I have a hunch there is a way to mitigate and possibly eliminate the need for mechanical, surgical or drug therapy for this problem, which has to do with training my consciousness. Just a theory, mind you, but for me, very consistent with everything else I've learned in this long, sleepless life of mine. I'm looking to CPAP to show me things I can use and to buy me some margin to work with.

Anyway, best of luck. Hoping for all us, I am

80winks.

(i'm looking to get a Respironics APAP w/ C-flex w/ humidifier and heater - with Comfort Curve mask.)

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed May 18, 2005 10:44 pm

Very interesting about your old coach's observations. Good post - intriguing food for thought.

The machine you're looking to get is one of my favorites. It, as well as the 420E auto. The mask you mentioned (I recently tried it) didn't work for me at all....the Comfort Curve was very leaky and not at all comfortable on me.
My disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, nor have I ever worked in the health care field. Those are just my personal opinions. A mask or machine I love/hate could be completely the opposite for others. Finding suitable equipment can be an expensive trial and error experience.

Severeena

Post by Severeena » Thu May 19, 2005 6:41 pm

I have Sarcoidosis which no one can get from me. It is an auto-immune disease that attacks soft tissue, all soft tissue organs and it does attack the bones.

My lungs are affected and this past week I have been having problems breathing, but not sure if it is the cpap mask problem or the Sarc is becoming more active. I already have 2/3 of lung capcity gone.

Not all Masks work for everyone. Each Person is Different.

Re: having to noticably catch my breath

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:55 pm

bdmiller wrote:I've been having cases the past week where I've had to catch my breath. It happens during the day. I'll be sitting in front of the computer, for instance, and I'll find I have to take a deep breath to catch my breath.

I don't know if it's allergies (I haven't been diagnosed with that yet), or if it's high blood pressure (my last visit to the doctor revealed my blood pressure was on the high side) or if it's sleep related.

Is there a proper setting for a humidifier? I have had my humidifier set on the lowest setting since I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea about 6 months ago. Could a lack of humidity be causing my breathless moments?

Any help appreciated.

Brad

Battery Powered

Catch Your Breath

Post by Battery Powered » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:00 pm

BDMiller, Please see a doctor. Heart murmurs and irregularities are often related to sleep apnea and shortness of breath. I just now read your request (2006). I hope you are well at this writing.