Armed with pantyhose and looking for tips

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sleepdeprived

Armed with pantyhose and looking for tips

Post by Sleepdeprived » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:59 am

I managed to convince my wife to part with a pair of very sexy black pantyhose.

So what do I do with it ?

Do I wear it like a chinstrap or around the nose and the back of the head ?

Does anyone have any tips for use with a Swift II mask ?

Sleepdeprived

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:32 am

Hmmm, Sexy pantyhose, how are you going to sleep with those things around your head?

You need to check with the ladies but my understanding is there are two uses for the pantyhose. One is to use it instead of a chin strap. The other is to use it under the nose to keep the nasal pillows in place.

Any other uses are at your discression.

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

Sleepdeprived

Post by Sleepdeprived » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:57 am

[quote="6PtStar"]Hmmm, Sexy pantyhose, how are you going to sleep with those things around your head?

You need to check with the ladies but my understanding is there are two uses for the pantyhose. One is to use it instead of a chin strap. The other is to use it under the nose to keep the nasal pillows in place.

Any other uses are at your discression.

Last edited by Sleepdeprived on Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

rested gal

Re: Armed with pantyhose and looking for tips

Post by rested gal » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:58 am

Sleepdeprived wrote:I managed to convince my wife to part with a pair of very sexy black pantyhose.

So what do I do with it ?
ROTFL!!

Well, you pull them up on your legs....verrrry slowlllly.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

rested gal

Seriously....

Post by rested gal » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:08 am

Ways to route one or two homemade straps to steady nasal pillows masks:

Pictures -- How to tie a double start knot
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/doublestartknot.htm

The strap routing I use:
http://www.tnlc.com/Lara/laura/osa/aura-myaura2.jpg

Lately I've also been using another "leg" as a chin strap (under chin, up to top center of head.) Works well enough that I've been able to give up tape over the mouth...after 3 years of taping, my tongue seems to have finalllllly formed a habit of maintaining a leakproof seal inside my mouth if the jaw is just supported somewhat to keep it from relaxing open too much. Chin straps never worked in the past for me, but one does now.
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Sleepdeprived

Re: Seriously....

Post by Sleepdeprived » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:17 am

rested gal wrote:Ways to route one or two homemade straps to steady nasal pillows masks:

Pictures -- How to tie a double start knot
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/doublestartknot.htm

The strap routing I use:
http://www.tnlc.com/Lara/laura/osa/aura-myaura2.jpg

Lately I've also been using another "leg" as a chin strap (under chin, up to top center of head.) Works well enough that I've been able to give up tape over the mouth...after 3 years of taping, my tongue seems to have finalllllly formed a habit of maintaining a leakproof seal inside my mouth if the jaw is just supported somewhat to keep it from relaxing open too much. Chin straps never worked in the past for me, but one does now.

Rested Gal

What are you using to make your homemade straps

Thanks

Sleepdeprived

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:23 am

Sleepdeprived wrote:Rested Gal

Thanks

Sleepdeprived
I use pantyhose tights...not just pantyhose. "Tights" material is a little thicker than just plain pantyhose material, so isn't as apt to roll into a narrow tube along your face. "Tights" material is very soft and stretchy and stays a little wider than just pantyhose material.

I cut the legs off 'em.

I use a "leg" as a homemade strap. Where I tie the leg on (behind or over my head) I use a "doublestart" knot. That kind of knot is very flat, stays tied, yet is easy to adjust without starting over -- and is easy to take off in the morning.
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Babette

Post by Babette » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:31 am

See, I disagree with RG on this. I think you should cut the legs off, throw the legs away, and just pull the panty over your head, headgear, and mask. The compression will hold everything in place neatly.

Plus you have the added benefit of looking like a bank robber, which your wife may find irresistable...

LOL,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:32 am

I don't use the Swift or the Swift II, so I don't know how well a homemade strap would work cradling the barrel that holds the pillows. As you said, it might cover the vents. Perhaps you could cut a hole out of the strap to leave the vents of the Swift clear.

I use the homemade strap to help steady the nasal pillows with the "Headrest" mask (formerly called the Aura and the Twilight NP), and with the ComfortLite 2 mask. And to steady the front assembly of the Breeze.
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:34 am

Babette wrote:See, I disagree with RG on this. I think you should cut the legs off, throw the legs away, and just pull the panty over your head, headgear, and mask. The compression will hold everything in place neatly.

Plus you have the added benefit of looking like a bank robber, which your wife may find irresistable...

LOL,
B.
Hey, I agree with Babette on that! Go for it!!
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Sleepdeprived

Post by Sleepdeprived » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:38 am

rested gal wrote:
Sleepdeprived wrote:Rested Gal

Thanks

Sleepdeprived
I use pantyhose tights...not just pantyhose. "Tights" material is a little thicker than just plain pantyhose material, so isn't as apt to roll into a narrow tube along your face. "Tights" material is very soft and stretchy and stays a little wider than just pantyhose material.

So did I just ruin my wifes new unused pantyhose for nothing ?

Sleepdeprived

JZ

Post by JZ » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:22 pm

Sleepdeprived,

Regular panty hose will work. They lose their stretch more quickly, but are serviceable. Just consider panty hose tights as the deluxe version.

Janna

Sleepdeprived

Post by Sleepdeprived » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:29 pm

[quote="JZ"]Sleepdeprived,

Regular panty hose will work. They lose their stretch more quickly, but are serviceable. Just consider panty hose tights as the deluxe version.

Janna

SisterShotgun

Post by SisterShotgun » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:44 pm

rested gal wrote:
Babette wrote:See, I disagree with RG on this. I think you should cut the legs off, throw the legs away, and just pull the panty over your head, headgear, and mask. The compression will hold everything in place neatly.

LOL,
B.
Hey, I agree with Babette on that! Go for it!!
LOL I agree too, how funny..I hiccuped and swallowed iced tea when I tried not to laugh when I read this..All I am going to say is that the result of that was interesting, and my nasal passages have been washed out

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:00 pm

never made much sense to me to spend over $100 on an interface then have to resort to pantyhose to make it work, in the end all you have is a conventional nasal mask.

Why not get a ComfortGel, Soyala or other nasal interface already equipped with the strap?

I can't imagine this setup being quieter or leaking less than my Soyala.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...