Stomach sleeping???

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Christy223

Stomach sleeping???

Post by Christy223 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:44 am

I have a dear friend that has recently been diagnosed with SA. He is a BIG time stomach sleeper.

What are his options besides surgery?

Thanks for all of your help

Pad A Cheek
Location: Virginia, In the shadow of the Blue Ridge Mountains

stomach sleeping

Post by Pad A Cheek » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:51 am

Tell your friend that stomach sleeping is possible on CPAP.

The biggest trick is to hang the mask off the side of the pillow so it does not get knocked away from your face as you sleep.

I am a stomach sleeper and I sleep just fine with my mask. I have no problem sleeping and getting great therapy on my stomach.

Tell him to join us on the forum and he will get all the support we can give him.

Karen

topher

Post by topher » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:56 am

I some times sleep on my stomac I use a umff mask and just turn my head to the left and hang my mask off the edge of the pillow, it works fine for me

CHRIS

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:56 am

CPAP.

* I could stomach sleep with both the Breeze and the Headrest/Twilight NP /Aura - and did in the beginning.

* Based on my own experience, and some non-scientific reading (anecdotal evidence) - I think "big time" stomach sleeping may be an unconcious response to sleep apnea. I used to be a side sleeper, became a stomach sleeper - and after 2.5 years on cpap, I am very much a side sleeper again - a happy one. Sleeping on my stomach gave me a sense of security - which I apparently have naturally with my cpap on.

He should try cpap with a mask that lets you stomach sleep, and if necessary, add a pappillow.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

skjansen

Post by skjansen » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:39 pm

I too am a stomach sleeper. I also use a full face mask. I kind of hang my face off of the side of the pillow but I also use another pillow kind of under my shoulder and along the left side of my body. That supports my head/face better. Just be sure you do not block the air holes.

Christy223

Post by Christy223 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:51 pm

Thanks so much for all the fast responses. You guys are the bestest!!

Catnapper

stomach

Post by Catnapper » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:11 pm

If you use the Aura whatever it is called mask, you can put your face right in the pillow, no problem.

Works for me.

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:26 pm

Before being diagnosed, I used to sleep on my stomach. Couldn't get to sleep any other way. I also think this is self treatment for apnea. I guess my question is, if you could stay on your stomach, why would you need CPAP?

JeffH

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:38 pm

I always used to stomach sleep, but before XPAP I had to sidesleep, Now I use the Comfort Gel, and am able to stomach sleep, but as the nite progresses i'm in all positions. I use my arm under the pillow to support my head or turn my head. It feels good to have the option again. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:40 pm

JeffH wrote:Before being diagnosed, I used to sleep on my stomach. Couldn't get to sleep any other way. I also think this is self treatment for apnea. I guess my question is, if you could stay on your stomach, why would you need CPAP?

JeffH
Because on your stomach you may getting less apneas than in any other position - but you're probably still getting way too many!!!

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Wolfmarsh

Post by Wolfmarsh » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:12 pm

Im kinda a wierd stomach sleeper in that i like my face pointing straight down into the pillow.

My mask really prevents me from sleeping like this, so frequently i will wake up in the morning having balled my hands up into fists and put my forehead on my fists, one on each side of the forehead support on my mask.

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:40 pm

I can sleep on my stomach with any of the masks I tried. I don't use a pillow when I'm on my tummy, just tuck an arm or hand where it's needed.

Brenda

RichCMH

Post by RichCMH » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:37 pm

I stomach sleep all the time also. I have a memory foam pillow under a regular fiber-fill medium soft pillow. My forehead is about the only thing on the pillow when I sleep on my stomach, one arm up under the pillow, the other down the side I am facing, mask "dangling" over the edge.

You can save some $$$ and just use an old towel rolled up and tied with ribbon/string, instead of buying a foam pillow.

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:12 pm

If apnea happens when your tongue falls back in your throat, how can you have apneas on your stomach? I don't get it.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:31 pm

JeffH wrote:If apnea happens when your tongue falls back in your throat, how can you have apneas on your stomach? I don't get it.
Tongue relaxing back into the throat may be the major culprit for most OSA sufferers, but there are surely ways other soft tissues in the upper airway can relax into a collapsed state, too. Every which way, so to speak.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435