Distilled water

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Backspace

Distilled water

Post by Backspace » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:00 am

I have always used distilled water in my humidifier. I am going on a trip for 3 days. Would it be horrible if I used tap water for those three days? Has anyone done that? I find it so wasteful to buy a jug of distilled when I cannot take it back on the plane with me and the air bnb will undoubtedly throw it out.

Pugsy

Re: Distilled water

Post by Pugsy » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:07 am

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:27 am

Backspace wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:00 am
I find it so wasteful to buy a jug of distilled when I cannot take it back on the plane with me
Leaving the jug behind is the easy way out. There are times when the area you are travelling to will be out of distilled. People buy gallons of distilled to use in their humidifiers yet there are those who are opposed to using it in a cpap medical device, go figure.

For some reason distilled water is a hot topic on this forum. While some say they use only tap water then you catch them saying they have a distiller at home, go figure.

Water quality is not the same thruout any country and has been a hotly debated topic in this forum for some reason.

IF you use distilled at home why should you change when away from home?

What I do is use empty soda or pop 16oz bottles labeled Distilled. You can carry 1 or 2 on board as exemptions for medical use with your cpap or pack more in your checked luggage. Declare the distilled when you are screened by TSA.

Always carry your cpap on board with you Never, Ever check it. For one it could get damaged or lost - 2. If there is a delay and you have to sleep/stay at this airport/hotel you will have your cpap. I always carry enuff distilled with the cpap for 2/3 days.

I have 4 bottles I have used for several years since this started. Distilled can also double as drinking water so you don't have to pay $4/bottle at the airport.
Last edited by SleepGeek on Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:34 am

There's no medical reason to avoid tap water. As you'll see in the sticky Pugsy referenced, the point of using distilled water is to avoid mineral build-up in the water receptacle.

When I travel, I use tap water and keep it topped up so that there's no water drying on the bottom of the receptacle. When I'm packing to go home, I dump the water and dry the receptacle carefully. I've never had any mineral build-up.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:54 pm

So what do you do when you get to your destination and your *Tap Water* looks like this...

https://imgur.com/a/vBukjGI
TSA allows larger amounts of medically necessary liquids, gels, and aerosols in reasonable quantities for your trip, but you must declare them to TSA officers at the checkpoint for inspection.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-scr ... ons-liquid
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:21 pm

SleepGeek wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:54 pm
So what do you do when you get to your destination and your *Tap Water* looks like this...
Buy bottled water...found just about everywhere.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:27 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:21 pm
SleepGeek wrote:
That cost more than a gallon of distilled but I guess you could if you really want to.

The point is your tap water will likely not be the same as where you are travelling to.
So be prepare for that.
They are here to help.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:48 pm

SleepGeek wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:27 pm
Pugsy wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:21 pm
SleepGeek wrote:
That cost more than a gallon of distilled but I guess you could if you really want to.

The point is your tap water will likely not be the same as where you are travelling to.
So be prepare for that.
Well...maybe or maybe not. Depends on how much distilled may cost wherever it is someone is going.
IF they even have any distilled water to start with. Some areas of the world don't carry cheap distilled water...hell they don't even have any distilled water.

The point is.....there are other quite acceptable options if someone doesn't have access to distilled for whatever reason.

FWIW....I do good to carry my purse through TSA check points for carry on...Adding more weight is NOT an option for me due to other health issues....it's not needed and it would be extremely difficult for me to carry any extra weight.
As for cost....if I can afford a trip somewhere I sure as hell can afford bottled water.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:06 pm

this is funny. from my point of view, the op's question appears right under what you linked to!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:38 pm

zonker wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:06 pm
this is funny. from my point of view, the op's question appears right under what you linked to!
Nobody actually READS the things that say READ THIS...

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

stevenal

Post by stevenal » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:22 am

Will you be drinking tap water where you are going? If buying bottled water anyway for ingestion, I would use that.

For what it's worth, I use tap water at home and go dry when traveling with my Z1.
AirSence 10 Autoset, Dreamstation 2 backup, Swift FX, Z1 for travel.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:33 am

palerider wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:38 pm
zonker wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:06 pm
Nobody actually READS the things that say READ THIS...
meh. i'm used to it by now. but i'm still glad that the posts exist cuz it's easier for me to link to it than type it out! :wink:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:03 pm

stevenal wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:22 am
For what it's worth, I use tap water at home and go dry when traveling with my Z1.
Since there is more than one way to skin a cat I was tempted to suggest that but felt anyone who uses water at home would not sleep well without it.

So you have one who uses distilled at home and tap when traveling.

Another who uses tap at home and goes dry when traveling.

Yet another who simply uses distilled whether traveling or at home.

So OP it's your call do what works for you.

May I ask why you don't use tap when traveling?
Last edited by SleepGeek on Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They are here to help.

stevenal

Post by stevenal » Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:24 pm

SleepGeek wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:03 pm

May I ask why you don't use tap when traveling?
Sure, ask away. My travel Z1 does not have any way to add water. They suggest using an HME, but then state a short hose between the mask and HME will nullify any effect. I use a Swift FX which has such a hose. I like to travel light, so the Z1 wins over the AS10 for travel.
AirSence 10 Autoset, Dreamstation 2 backup, Swift FX, Z1 for travel.

MoneyGuy

Post by MoneyGuy » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:07 pm

Does going dry shorten the lifespan of a CPAP machine? I’ve only occasionally used water.