New Machine For Central Sleep Apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
john.michael

New Machine For Central Sleep Apnea

Post by john.michael » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:09 am

Hi,

I need to get a new machine for CSA.
I have an appointment with my Dr next week.
From another post, it looks like ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV is what I should get. Does that sound right? Are there others I should consider?

Thanks for any expertise and insights!
John

Machine - ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV

Pugsy

Re: New Machine For Central Sleep Apnea

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:15 am

Pretty much the only brand manufacturers of the ASV model line is ResMed and Respironics. The other cpap manufacturers don't really go into the specialty end machines like ASV.

With Respironics recall right now....the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV is probably your only option but IMHO...it's the best option anyway.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

john.michael

Post by john.michael » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:30 am

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:15 am
Pretty much the only brand manufacturers of the ASV model line is ResMed and Respironics. The other cpap manufacturers don't really go into the specialty end machines like ASV.

With Respironics recall right now....the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV is probably your only option but IMHO...it's the best option anyway.
Thank you, that is exactly what it looked like to me with limited time looking into it.

Now, is it possible to get one fairly quickly, even out of pocket? My deductible is so high, it is practically out of pocket anyway!

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:34 am

Check with secondwindcpap.com They have new and gently used.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:46 am

https://www.secondwindcpap.com/Open_Box.html

They show 2 available. Please note that they call the AirCurve 10 ASV...."ResMed S10 VPAP ASV" I have no idea why they did that but they did. Showing price of 4199...new open box which usually means zero hours of use.
You might call them...to confirm.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

john.michael

Post by john.michael » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:45 pm

Thank you both LSAT and Pugsy.

They (second wind) have new ones with 2 year warranty for $4199 and a used one with 48 hours, but only 6 mos warranty for $2999. The very friendly person I spoke with there is holding them both until have my prescription in hand next week.
I'm leaning towards the longer warranty.

cpapdirect.com lists new on their website for $2900 but warranty not mentioned, I could not get through on the phone, sent an email. I'm not optimistic about that one.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:40 pm

john.michael wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:45 pm
cpapdirect.com lists new on their website for $2900 but warranty not mentioned, I could not get through on the phone, sent an email. I'm not optimistic about that one.
I went there....looks like it says "coming soon" which makes me think they don't have one in stock....yet.
It is not a machine that many places keep on the shelf due to cost.
I know nothing about that website. It is a good price though...but if they don't have one and it maybe a while before they get one then it's not so good of a price is it? :lol:
I guess it depends on how long a person has to wait but if you can't get them on the phone and they don't promptly reply to your email....might be some red flags there as to customer service.

john.michael

Post by john.michael » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:52 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:40 pm
john.michael wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:45 pm
h...but if they don't have one and it maybe a while before they get one then it's not so good of a price is it? :lol:

Exactly!! I found some others, out of stock, etc.
I expect I will be going with secondwind, now need to get through the week before my appt for new Rx and maybe get some idea if the last 8 years with my recalled machine is going to shorten my life. :?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:30 pm

I know nothing about the bulk of the online cpap retailers but I do know that cpap.com is good to work and I know secondwindcpap.com is good to work with.
Cpap.com used to sell ASV machine but some years back they opted to no longer sell them. Don't know why.

A few years back I was working with a guy in Australia that needed ASV for management of his central sleep apnea.
There simply was no way to make a less costly machine work for him...we tried everything.
At the time the S9 model which was the ASV capable was called the Adapt and there were 2 different models...36007 and 36037. The 36007 had one mode available...the 36037 was slightly newer and had 2 modes. Price difference wasn't much so always better to have 2 modes than one was my thinking.
I was really specific (or so I thought) as to which model he should get...the 2 mode model. I called up Mark (owner of secondwind) and explained situation and asked him to set aside a 36037 with lowest hours for the guy in Australia.
Which Mark was happy to do. Then I tell the guy in Australia which model to order....only he didn't understand and ordered the wrong model...and not only didn't he order the 36037...he didn't even order the Adapt.

So he gets the machine and contacts me because the setting choices we worked out for him weren't available....we finally figured out "wrong machine"....I called up Mark and he told me "I wondered why the guy you told me about hadn't bought the Adapt...I still have it sitting here for him" ..
Anyway...the error was made by the guy in Australia.

Here's the part that makes me recommend secondwind anytime someone needs used or one of their machines.
Mark went ahead and shipped out the Adapt to Australia immediately after the guy paid the difference...overnighted it in fact or as much overnight you can do with going to Australia and was willing to trust the guy to return the wrongfully ordered machine. He didn't make him wait until he got that machine back before shipping out the Adapt.
He didn't have to do that...IMHO he went the extra mile and earned my loyalty for sure.

Now other places might be just as nice to work with but I don't have any experience with them nor have I heard of another online supplier going the extra mile like that. Doesn't mean someone doesn't do it but I know first hand that secondwind does.

The S9 Adapt model 36037...is essentially the same machine as its newer younger brother the AirCurve 10 ASV.
Functions are the same in terms of central apnea treatment....the algorithm didn't change.

john.michael

Post by john.michael » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:48 am

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:46 am
https://www.secondwindcpap.com/Open_Box.html

They show 2 available. Please note that they call the AirCurve 10 ASV...."ResMed S10 VPAP ASV" I have no idea why they did that but they did. Showing price of 4199...new open box which usually means zero hours of use.
You might call them...to confirm.
I saw my Dr on videoconference today, got my new RX, and ordered a new AirCurve 10 ASV from secondwindcpap. It's expected to arrive here early next week at the latest.
The used one they have did have very low hours, but only six months warranty vs 2 years.
My DME would have charged me nearly as much, but in monthly payments and a 4-6 week wait (at least).
Unfortunately, I have a high deductible insurance plan, so I'm essentially paying for this out of pocket even though it is "covered" either way.

So far, secondwindcpap has been a joy to work with, I already feel like I can recommend them highly.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:24 am

Congratulations on getting this all set. It's a great investment in your health. Keep us posted once you start using it.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

john.michael

Post by john.michael » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:36 pm

Well.
UPS just showed up at my door with my new machine.
Kudos to secondwindcpap for sending it overnight with no shipping charge!

It appears they set it up according to my Dr's prescription as well.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:34 pm

Good deal for you hope you sleep well tonite. You are in good hands here.

Commenting on your avatar -- Sadly, There are NO Winners In War.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

john.michael

Post by john.michael » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:36 am

SleepGeek wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:34 pm
Good deal for you hope you sleep well tonite. You are in good hands here.

Commenting on your avatar -- Sadly, There are NO Winners In War.
So far so good. And I definitely agree: in very good hands here! This forum is fantastic!

The new machine feels a little different, but I expect to adjust quickly. I slept lighter the first night than the second. More dreams than I am usually aware of both nights, so both were probably less deep sleep than “usual” Very low AHI, so that’s good

Last night, it had some cycles where the pressure seemed very high and made the mask leak. Which of course woke me up. I know the Dr specified a lower starting pressure (5 now, was 6). I am away for the weekend, will compare the other settings to previous machine next week. I suspect they are also different.
The Leak reading is 7L/min. I tried a quick search here to find if that is a high or low number, but the number of hits was overwhelming, I will need to look into that more later.

As for my avatar, I placed that when I first found this forum 10 years ago. My mom had the poster in my room when I was tiny in the 60s. I grew up expecting war would be a thing of the past before I was an adult. I have sadly known for a long time now it outlive me, my children, and probably beyond. Definitely there are NO winners.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:01 am

john.michael wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:36 am
The Leak reading is 7L/min.
Can't type detailed explanation but that 7 is extremely good 95% number.
At or below 7 L/min for 95% of the night. Pretty much not much excess leak at all.