COVID 19, CPAP, Ventilator MEGA THREAD...everything go here please

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: COVID 19, CPAP, Ventilator MEGA THREAD...everything go here please

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:13 am

Before Typhoid Mary, doctors were not even aware of asymptomatic carriers.
Now we have "covid Harry's".

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:16 am

Pugsy wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:58 am
It's a big friggin mess if you look at it from the science side of things (which is what I do). I don't need alarmist news to scare me...I can get scared enough on my own just from reading the real science papers behind this crap.

Good to see that you are willing to wear a mask when you have to go out and can't keep a safe distance from people.

Its a big friggin mess from all side of things. The science, the politics (around the world, not just here ), the media.
Its really exposed the cracks in all the systems.

My family has been wearing masks since I was able to grab a sewing machine early on (before hubby was laid off) and I made them for all of us. Unfortunately the sewing machine was not the best quality (it was all they had in stock) and it died after only a few weeks. I returned it but they didn't have any replacements. Ugh. I've got three masks each for hubby and myself that we wash and rotate. I even managed to make some for my kids and their SO's before that happened. Going to have to buy some before my job starts in a few weeks, it ticks me off to pay $15 For something I can make in a few min for a few dollars if I had a working machine. :x

Oh well live and learn. A working sewing machine is at the top of my list of items to keep on hand now. At least we already had a bidet seat. That thing was worth every penny when the toilet paper got hard to find. :lol: :lol:

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:41 am

babydinosnoreless wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:16 am
Its a big friggin mess from all side of things. The science, the politics (around the world, not just here ), the media.
Its really exposed the cracks in all the systems.
I try to stay out of the politics side of things as much as possible. I know that the media will always put their own spin on things depending which media a person watches. I am able to filter past all that crap and just concentrate on the science behind it. Remember I worked in the medical field and had a lot of education in that field in the past so I am quite capable of reading and understanding the scientific studies and seeing the limitations to those studies...and forming my own opinion and conclusion. Might not be 100% totally correct but it is mine and based on the science as I know it and not media or political hype. Science rarely lies unlike media or politics which we both know have their own agenda.
Now science can change as we learn new stuff...but that's part of the learning process and to be expected.

I don't even own a sewing machine now...haven't for probably over 20 years now...I got lucky and one of the forum members who I had helped in the past sent me a couple of really nice masks that are washable. My husband works for a company that furnished him with a couple of N95 masks because a lot of the places he delivers to will require it when he goes in their offices briefly to get paper work.
He does of course re use them but he doesn't have to wear them for prolonged periods of time nor is it like he is in a lot of different places in one day. He can request more if he feels the need since they aren't really washable...and he does have the cloth mask that I shared with him just in case something happens to his N95.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:55 am

babydinosnoreless wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:08 am

You are preaching to the choir on masks. Pretty sure everyone here wears one. At the risk of letting dog slobber get a picture (hahaha ) look no pretty nails or cool hair colors either. *sigh*
F41BA187-03B9-4933-AB1D-CEB01B04D8AF.jpeg
oh, baby!
lookin' good.

you remind me of an actor on my favorite soap opera, coronation street. you have her eyes, even though she is from india and looks nothing like you.

anyway, good to put a face with the words.

as to testing, i'm very much with pugsy on this. too many variances in the test results. i'm hoping as we learn more about this horrid disease, we can come up with reliable tests as well as a vaccine.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:11 pm

babydinosnoreless wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:16 am
At least we already had a bidet seat. That thing was worth every penny when the toilet paper got hard to find. :lol: :lol:
Hitting_the_spot.gif
Hitting_the_spot.gif (976.33 KiB) Viewed 1087 times

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:52 pm

Somebody's phone is seriously infected with cacti minimus.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:15 pm

jnk... wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:52 pm
Somebody's phone is seriously infected with cacti minimus.
My whole house is infected with all kinds of southwestern decor. :lol: :lol:

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:38 am

i'll just put this here-

Coronavirus: Oxford vaccine triggers immune response

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53469839

from the article-

"Trials involving 1,077 people showed the injection led to them making antibodies and T-cells that can fight coronavirus."

yeah, i know, it's a long way to go. but this at least gives me a glimmer of hope!
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:50 am

zonker wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:38 am
i'll just put this here-

Coronavirus: Oxford vaccine triggers immune response

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53469839

from the article-

"Trials involving 1,077 people showed the injection led to them making antibodies and T-cells that can fight coronavirus."

yeah, i know, it's a long way to go. but this at least gives me a glimmer of hope!

Yep...it's a glimmer of hope for sure.
Now we have to wait and see how long the antibodies last once they are in a person and how well they work in terms of prevention of catching it again. Not all antibodies are the fight off kind and preventing antibodies and even the ones that are don't always give us the long term immunity we really want. They just don't always last very long in the body.

This is why developing a vaccine takes so long...it takes time to see how long those antibodies hang around in the body to fight off something. Will they be like a common cold antibody and fade away in 4 to 6 weeks...or the flu vaccine which might last 12 months or the measles vaccine that can last years and years.

Time and lots of it is needed ....there is no away around the long term test to see if it works and holds long term because there is no crystal ball for the future. In the meantime we hope and cross our fingers.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:00 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:50 am
zonker wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:38 am

Yep...it's a glimmer of hope for sure.
Now we have to wait and see how long the antibodies last once they are in a person and how well they work in terms of prevention of catching it again. Not all antibodies are the fight off kind and preventing antibodies and even the ones that are don't always give us the long term immunity we really want. They just don't always last very long in the body.
thank you for that. i knew that trials take a long freking time. it's why pharmaceutical companies aren't keen on the monetary outlay. well, that and greed. but i don't keep up with the minutia regarding trials. mostly, in my brain, it's me thinking that the company wants to make sure so they don't get sued.

i'm sure as this particular vaccine, along with others, rolls along, there will be too many stupid people inflaming conspiracy about why something is taking so long and how it's a plot to subjugate us all.

so thanks for giving me and others more information.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:03 pm

And long-term safety across population and age groups. That risk/result assessment may take even more time to establish conclusively for some.

We have some rough days and years ahead of us even once a proven-effective vaccine is found, produced, and made widely available worldwide.

I think we should put off scheduling the cpaptalk.com in-person reunion until at least 2023.
Last edited by jnk... on Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:19 pm

jnk... wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:03 pm
And long-term safety across population and age groups.
And another yeppers for sure.
There are several hurdles here and it's not going to be quick and easy either.
Not to mention the anti vaccine people who will refuse to take it even if it is proven to last a lifetime, totally safe for everyone and all that. They won't take it. That opens up a whole new can of worms.
People need to learn to accept the new normal...it's going to be with us for quite awhile.
I just saw where a woman lost both her son and daughter...ages 20 and 23...got sick suddenly and failed equally as suddenly and both died. Pretty much had been home bodies until they took a little vacation to Orlando and came home sick.

I just want to scream at the top of my lungs....wear a friggin mask and at least try to protect yourself and others because there are a lot of people who catching this virus is a lot more than just the "sniffles". You never know....the life you save might even be your own or someone you love and will miss. Use some common sense...you don't have to stop your life. You don't have to become a hermit to at least try to protect yourself and others.

weiss27md

Post by weiss27md » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:34 pm

Haven't they not been able to develop a vaccine for any of the coronaviruses? Don't see why this one would be any different.

Therapist

Post by Therapist » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:41 pm

weiss27md wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:34 pm
Haven't they not been able to develop a vaccine for any of the coronaviruses?
No, they haven't. Here's a partial explanation of why not - https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2020 ... r/12146616

Therapist

Post by Therapist » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:42 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:19 pm
I just want to scream at the top of my lungs....wear a friggin mask
There are "good" reasons not to wear masks - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlXoAuU ... EFkP1jjvAU