SoClean 2: Am I a sucker??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: SoClean 2: Am I a sucker??

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:01 am

Good for you.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:02 am

Jeff_Snore_No_More wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:48 am
The salesperson spoke about killing germs and all that stuff. But she also said that it wouldn't be necessary to wash the mask every day, but rather once a week. This appealed to me, because I'm lazy. I do understand that the SoClean would not clean the skin oil and so forth. I've been on BiPAP for about 11 years.

At any rate, I'm returning it.
I've been on XPAP treatment 13 years, I've washed my mask and hose 4 times over that period. I have had no infections other than a few colds and flu, way less than before XPAP, maybe 1/4th as many, and much weaker versions. I don't over replace me stuff, if fact I've had to stop them from replacing a lot of my supplies. I still have that Dirty $ 300, in the bank. I do waste my money on OTC Vitamins, (Large Doses) as needed. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:13 am

As opposed to psychotherapy, a sufferer of OCD might get some relief at a more affordable price.
(Unless they made the mistake of asking about it here) :lol: :lol:
Yes, the truth CAN hurt, but I prefer to fight lies than feed obsession.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:18 am

There is no rule that says you have to wash your mask every day. I wash mine with soap and water about once every 7-10 days. In between, I wipe it off with a baby wipe every second or third day. I quit washing the long hose, cause I believe what the other forum members say about not needing to do it. There is only air in it. Whatever germ is on your mask can off you you to begin with. :lol:

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:31 am

It is a good idea to wash the P10 mask frame periodically to be sure the vents are clean and unobstructed.
It is good to periodically wash or soak the headgear to counteract any stretching that may have occurred. Soaking and allowing it to dry allows it to spring back to the original size.

Disconnecting the mask from your hose too often places unnecessary wear on the hose connection to the mask.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:32 am

Jeff_Snore_No_More wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:48 am
I'm returning it.
Good move.

BTW, every fifth day, google calendar tells me to clean my mask - warm, soapy water.

wellshooter

Post by wellshooter » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:03 pm

Left unwashed the humidifier chamber will build up a slimy scum on the walls. It can't really be seen but it can be felt. I know its alive. It is the same slick feeling stuff that builds up in your cat or dog's water bowl. To clean it, bleach is best, but who wants to inhale chlorine all night. Dishwasher safe? Oops where did the gasket go? My DME recommended vinegar, it doesn't remove the slime and I hate the smell. I used to have a beer making hobby and I started using iodophor, a sanitizer often used by brewers. It does the job but soaking mask, hose, and humidifier tank, then draining and drying is a PITA to say the least. On a Doctor's recommendation I purchased the SoClean machine. My wife has COPD and is Oxygenated CPAP so you know cleanliness is important to us. We use one SoClean between the two of us, it took a little home engineering but I can move the SoClean to either CPAP without too much trouble. (You will have to make a tubing plug to use it on two different CPAPS)

Now it's only a matter of wiping the mask down occasionally. The SoClean cycle lasts 3 hours, 3 hours that I can do other things besides washing and rinsing hoses and tanks, and standing in the yard swinging the hose around trying to get the water out.

It's spendy that's for sure. But I like it, and think it works well for us. Especially since now I clean both our CPAPS twice a week whereas before, it was always on my list for tomorrow.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:09 pm

Oh. "A doctor" said it. Well then. He must know a LOT more than the manufacturers of the equipment, then, huh? :shock: :roll: :wink: :lol:
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:20 pm

The humidifier chamber does NOT build up slime if one follows the manufacturer's recommendations and use distilled water only in the humidifier.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:02 pm

In three years of using my machine, I have never had any slime build up in the water chamber. Perhaps it would build up a slime if I lapped water up out of it like a dog does. :lol: :lol:

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:08 pm

I have only had slime in my tank after using DW purchased from a Walmart or the ghetto grocery.
Using home made DW, I only wash the tank if a whim hits me, and I have nothing else to do.
Sometimes, I toss a capful of cheap vodka in and swirl it around.
No unpleasant smell . . .

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:15 pm

wellshooter wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:03 pm
Left unwashed the humidifier chamber will build up a slimy scum on the walls.
You must be using tap water?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:19 pm

wellshooter wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:03 pm
Left unwashed the humidifier chamber will build up a slimy scum on the walls. It can't really be seen but it can be felt. I know its alive. It is the same slick feeling stuff that builds up in your cat or dog's water bowl. To clean it, bleach is best, but who wants to inhale chlorine all night. Dishwasher safe? Oops where did the gasket go? My DME recommended vinegar, it doesn't remove the slime and I hate the smell. I used to have a beer making hobby and I started using iodophor, a sanitizer often used by brewers. It does the job but soaking mask, hose, and humidifier tank, then draining and drying is a PITA to say the least. On a Doctor's recommendation I purchased the SoClean machine. My wife has COPD and is Oxygenated CPAP so you know cleanliness is important to us. We use one SoClean between the two of us, it took a little home engineering but I can move the SoClean to either CPAP without too much trouble. (You will have to make a tubing plug to use it on two different CPAPS)

Now it's only a matter of wiping the mask down occasionally. The SoClean cycle lasts 3 hours, 3 hours that I can do other things besides washing and rinsing hoses and tanks, and standing in the yard swinging the hose around trying to get the water out.

It's spendy that's for sure. But I like it, and think it works well for us. Especially since now I clean both our CPAPS twice a week whereas before, it was always on my list for tomorrow.
Splits his So No Clean between two machines so it will NOT clean two machines half as fast. A true Winner. Never Clean mine, no slime, but I can Read and used Distilled Water, dump daily Fill at night. But the hole on mine is so small the dog can't drink out of it. I keep his water fresh and cool too. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

wellshooter

Post by wellshooter » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:28 pm

Answers to the above posts:

We have never used anything but distilled water, and if you've never rubbed your finger around inside your humidifier tank you have a surprise coming your way.

Have you ever cleaned your humidifier tank ? No one in this thread seemed to mention that. Some of them (System One) have nooks and crannies that make it all but impossible to scrub clean. I bet your dishes are cleaner than your humidifier tank and you don't breath through your dishes.

The Doctor that suggested it has had a CPAP for years, she purchased a SoClean last year and she recommended it.

Anything else ?

Some background: I studied the SoClean when I first saw it at my DME and wasn't sure if it was snake oil or not. I decided not to buy one at first because the claims they made seemed a little over the top. I agree that $300 is kinda steep. But after my wife's cardio pulmonary physicians assistant (yeah I know thats not a full blown Doctor, but she knows a lot more than I do, enough to earn the title Dr.) recommended it I went ahead and purchased it. I've put other things in the box, my wife's inhaler mask has been through it twice at the same time as the CPAP mask (Dreamwear) was in there. It made her happy, happy wife, happy life ya know.

I haven't had the SoClean but three weeks and have not checked the tanks for slime so can't say for sure it fixed that. But I do think it is better than doing nothing, and definitely better than hand washing.

wellshooter

Post by wellshooter » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:15 pm

Here is a little info on how Ozone works to kill microorganisms in water. Anybody got a humidifier tank ?

The SoClean machine is an ozone generator. It pumps ozone through the water in the water tank and returns it into the box through the hose and mask. Ozone is commercially used as a sanitizer for food and water.

https://www.wqpmag.com/eliminating-bacteria-ozone