Dreamwear Full Face Mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pac

Re: Dreamwear Full Face Mask

Post by pac » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:02 pm

weroberts75 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:22 am
For reference, my pressure ranges from 7.0 to 11.0, but after two years of CPAP I still prefer to use the AutoRamp feature that starts with 5.0 cm of pressure.
My pressure ranges from 17-20 with no AutoRamp for MANY years. For some reason, immediate high pressure at 17 doesn't bother me cause I always fall asleep quickly and don't wake up till my alarm goes off. Had a zero leak night last night with this mask so for me I guess it depends on how much I toss and turn in my sleep. My AHI was 1.0 so I am happy with that too. I feel great today!

I may download the SD card data to the Sleepyhead software I have read about to see more statistics once I hit a month of usage with this mask and my new Resmed S10 Auto.

Regards,
Pac

John1409

Post by John1409 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:16 pm

weroberts75 wrote:
... I still prefer to use the AutoRamp feature that starts with 5.0 cm of pressure.
When I first hook up my DreamWear full face mask, it doesn't take much of a nudge at all to cause air to leak out the sides of my mask.
I usually sit up for a minute or lie on my back while the mask fills up with air. Sometimes I pull on it gently to help the process.
After a minute or two, I gently tug on it to see if it is secure, and once I'm satisfied that it has a good seal I roll over to my side and go to sleep.
I only tried the ramp for 1 or 2 nights in the beginning because the pressure didn't bother me and it seemed like delaying where I was trying to go.
I'll try your method of inflation (and ramp on) with the FFM tonight.

CPAP'er only since September 2017, so I have an excuse for being clueless.

John1409

Post by John1409 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:02 am

John1409 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:16 pm
weroberts75 wrote:
... I still prefer to use the AutoRamp feature that starts with 5.0 cm of pressure.
When I first hook up my DreamWear full face mask, it doesn't take much of a nudge at all to cause air to leak out the sides of my mask.
I usually sit up for a minute or lie on my back while the mask fills up with air. Sometimes I pull on it gently to help the process.
After a minute or two, I gently tug on it to see if it is secure, and once I'm satisfied that it has a good seal I roll over to my side and go to sleep.
I'll try your method of inflation (and ramp on) with the FFM tonight.
I tried the ramp inflation method with the Dreamwear FFM last night. I do not understand how it can make a difference but I did feel like I could set the FFM straps looser when using this method. When I'm using the FFM, I'll definitely run it that way. I also tried it with the Dreamwear nasal but it didn't seem to make a difference on that one.
Thanks for the tip.

Jasba64

Post by Jasba64 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:05 am

I love this new mask. The medium headgear is too large for me so I ordered a small. I used the Large cushion for the first 2 nights and last night, I tried the medium. The medium worked the best although my nose is at the end of the cushion. No leaks so that's all that matters. AHI was .5 for the night. Glad to get a mask off of my nose and the Amara View wasn't what I was hoping.

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:56 am

Interested in checking this mask out. My FFM of choice so far is the F&P Simplus, but the headgear gives me neck pains sometimes, and the mask doesn't allow me to move around in my sleep and change positions much.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:23 am

raisedfist wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:56 am
Interested in checking this mask out. My FFM of choice so far is the F&P Simplus, but the headgear gives me neck pains sometimes, and the mask doesn't allow me to move around in my sleep and change positions much.
FWIW and I know it isn't much but one of my primary reasons for my dislike of most of the usual full face masks like the Simplus was that lower back strap that caused my poor old neck to give me pain.

When I tried the DreamWear FFM I didn't have those neck issues or pain.
And I woke up sleeping pretty much almost face down on the bed pillow without any issues and I did my usual tossing and turning (back issues in general mean I have to move around or I wake up in pain) and the mask didn't seem to move much or enough to leak from my tossing and turning.
Now I did have some issues with the frame size and my small head but that's not something most others would have a problem with.
Even with the frame size being slightly big on me...the mask was remarkably stable considering all the moving around I do when I sleep.

I won't give up my nasal pillows as my primary mask but if for some reason I just had to use a full face mask...this one is the one I would be using and my saying that...means I am a huge convert.
Now I know it won't please everyone...but if it looks interesting to a person...try it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:53 am

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:23 am
raisedfist wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:56 am
FWIW and I know it isn't much but one of my primary reasons for my dislike of most of the usual full face masks like the Simplus was that lower back strap that caused my poor old neck to give me pain.

When I tried the DreamWear FFM I didn't have those neck issues or pain.
And I woke up sleeping pretty much almost face down on the bed pillow without any issues and I did my usual tossing and turning (back issues in general mean I have to move around or I wake up in pain) and the mask didn't seem to move much or enough to leak from my tossing and turning.
Now I did have some issues with the frame size and my small head but that's not something most others would have a problem with.
Even with the frame size being slightly big on me...the mask was remarkably stable considering all the moving around I do when I sleep.

I won't give up my nasal pillows as my primary mask but if for some reason I just had to use a full face mask...this one is the one I would be using and my saying that...means I am a huge convert.
Now I know it won't please everyone...but if it looks interesting to a person...try it.
I personally love the freedom of the P10 pillows and that they don't leave any marks on my face. The "direct pressure" is a bit uncomfortable at higher pressures, and sometimes - even though I am using the large sized pillows, it feels like I'm not getting enough air. The P10 is also the quietest mask I've ever used.

My leak levels with the P10 pillows are very good (95% value is less than 10, with max leak below ResMed large leak threshold for only brief periods of time) but I think I am exhaling through my mouth quite a bit with them. I do wake up with somewhat of a dry mouth, which I assume is an indication, and have tried various humidity levels (including turning humidity off). I don't know if exhaling through the mouth matters?

I am using a machine with a backup rate enabled, and same settings otherwise, my spontaneous trigger % goes down when I use the pillows versus the full face mask. I've noticed that some nights this will cause the machined delivered breaths to kick in more than usual and this causes me to wake up on occasion because the breathing tends to get out of sync.

I guess I will order the DreamWear fit pack and pray that the medium sized frame will fit my head. I read that medium is the most common fit for men. What is annoying is a lot of these sites don't tell you very specifically what is included, and what is not.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:17 pm

raisedfist wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:53 am
I don't know if exhaling through the mouth matters?
I personally don't think it matters as long as any large leak flags are minimal and I sleep through it.
I know I probably mouth breathe a little but it's rare I even see a large leak flag for any reason and to be honest mouth breathing doesn't always mean large enough leak to matter anyway.
I once woke up mouth breathing...it was my normal wake up time anyway so I decided it was a good time to see just what it looked like on the leak graph. Now this was gentle mouth breathing..no tornado out the mouth kind of mouth breathing.
I decided to continue the gentle mouth breathing for about 10 minutes or so just so I could see something on the leak graph.
I was really surprised when I saw how little it affected the leak line.
Mouth breathing time...circled in red at the end of the night. You can barely see it. :lol: Well within the machine's ability to compensate for.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Jasba64

Post by Jasba64 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:13 pm

So, I just wanted to make sure we are all on the same page with the mask. The FRAME is the same for the Full Face mask as the Nasal mask. The only difference is the Cushion and straps. The cost to just buy the straps is like $45 and the cushion is also around $40. The cost for the Fit Pack kit is $169 which includes a medium frame and all 4 cushions. If you already wear the Nasal mask, you already know your cushion size.

John1409

Post by John1409 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:46 pm

Jasba64 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:13 pm
So, I just wanted to make sure we are all on the same page with the mask. The FRAME is the same for the Full Face mask as the Nasal mask. The only difference is the Cushion and straps. The cost to just buy the straps is like $45 and the cushion is also around $40. The cost for the Fit Pack kit is $169 which includes a medium frame and all 4 cushions. If you already wear the Nasal mask, you already know your cushion size.
Yes, that is true, and you also know your frame size. I bought a Dreamwear nasal mask out of pocket because I wasn't yet elgible for a new mask thru my insurance. When I became elgible for a new mask I got another Dreamwear nasal mask as a spare. I saw the FFM and had to have one, so I just bought the cushion/insert and the FFM headgear. Now I have a complete Dreamwear nasal mask and a complete Dreamwear FFM for when I'm significantly congested.
The FFM "cushion" isn't called a cushion by some suppliers but is called an insert. The cushion is the one that connects directly to the frame for the Dreamwear Nasal mask. But some are calling both a cushion but they are not the same device.

AirMech74

Post by AirMech74 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:54 am

So I just completed night 3 on this mask, and it seems the leaks get worse and worse....last night was the worst. Does the leak rate affect the pressure? It seemed like at times, the pressure was at full blast. Most of the leaks are from the nose area or the sides. I wonder if I'd have better luck with a traditional full face mask.
Leaks.PNG
Leaks.PNG (15.33 KiB) Viewed 2418 times

A man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy" ~ Pres. John F. Kennedy

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:51 am

AirMech74 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:54 am
So I just completed night 3 on this mask, and it seems the leaks get worse and worse....last night was the worst. Does the leak rate affect the pressure? It seemed like at times, the pressure was at full blast. Most of the leaks are from the nose area or the sides. I wonder if I'd have better luck with a traditional full face mask.
Leaks.PNG
No...more likely your pressure needs affected the sealing/fit and that caused the leaks.
The pressure most likely caused the leaks and not the other way around.

You didn't include the pressure graph...would have been nice to see that pressure line along with the leak line but if the pressure was higher during that time frame...and from the email you sent me with the whole image...the pressure maxed out at 20 cm during that big leak.
My first thoughts due to timing of the pressure increase...REM stage sleep pressure needs causing the increase in pressure or you were on your back or maybe both.

The machine wanted you to have max pressure because of the apnea stuff happening at the same time...and max pressure caused the leak. Mask just lost it's seal at 20 cm pressure. Any mask is going to present a challenge for keeping a good seal at the pressures you appear to be needing...

For anyone wondering...he's using a loaner apap (AirSense 10 AutoSet) just to get some sort of therapy while the in lab titration is scheduled for later and he will get his forever machine after that and from the looks of things...a bilevel machine because it appears that at some times he needs more than 20 cm and even if he didn't he may need the greater pressure support for comfort with apparent pressure needs going to the high teens at times.

So for now...he's DIYing everything...mask fitting and getting used to the machine and playing with pressures.
We know it is far from ideal but doing the best we can just to get some therapy even if it isn't perfect.
He's having to try to fit a full face mask for a good seal at pressures that would challenge a cpap veteran with no one to help him in person and no past experience to draw upon.

Jasba64

Post by Jasba64 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:37 am

Be sure to properly clean the mask daily. The oils could be causing the leaks. I read where they recommend dish washing liquid for the cleaner.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:07 pm

AirMech74 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:54 am
So I just completed night 3 on this mask, and it seems the leaks get worse and worse....last night was the worst. Does the leak rate affect the pressure?
really excessive leaks (which you don't have) can *reduce* pressure, the pressure can affect the leak rate though, since more pressure = more leak.

as to leak affecting pressure, read the rest of this thread: viewtopic/t170957/Husband-says-Im-choki ... 5#p1243997

Also, please don't do just one strip chart, do a full screenshot, like pugsy says, you didn't include the pressure graph, or any other indication of what was going on...

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Rubyslipperss

Post by Rubyslipperss » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:41 pm

I still have an indentation on my forehead from my mask (to be replaced tomorrow) and I haven’t used it for going on 2 months!