Tips for a newbie with nasal congestion and nasal pillows

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
scruffies

Tips for a newbie with nasal congestion and nasal pillows

Post by scruffies » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:03 pm

I am about 60 days into this adventure and adapting well to my Swift FX nasal pillows, but this morning my asthma/allergies decided to kick in.

So question: Other than taking Benedryl as an allergy med, do you veterans have any tips or tricks to tolerate nasal congestion using pillows?

I have been 100% compliant at an average of about 8 hours per night so far, so I hate to stop CPAP for the duration of the congestion.

Insurance will not cover buying a FF mask yet so a different mask is not an option at this point.

Thanks suggestions.....

Julie

Re: Tips for a newbie with nasal congestion and nasal pillows

Post by Julie » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:11 pm

If you are using a humidifier (thinking it's a mandatory part of therapy) and you live in a relatively humid area that normally wouldn't require added humidity, try turning down the setting, or even off... it's optional, not mandatory, and can cause congestion if you don't need it.

scruffies

Post by scruffies » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:16 pm

Thanks Julie for the response. I was not clear. I get allergy flare ups at various times of the year, and I can tell because the roof of my mouth starts to itch. I have the climate control set to auto and its been very comfortable for the past 60 days, but this morning I realized allergy congestion has started. However, your suggestion to dial down the humidity until the congestion has passed is worth trying. Makes sense to not add humidity to congestion.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:22 pm

Do whatever you would normally do to reduce the congestion so you can get the nose opened up a bit.
Oral meds..saline spray...neti pot rinses...whatever helps you get the nose open.

Not so sure I would go messing with the humidity setting now and reducing it if you have been using it for 2 months now and this is the first time you are having congestion issues and you know you normally can have allergy symptoms.

Normally if congestion is caused by too much humidity it doesn't pop up 2 months into therapy. It's usually apparent right from the start of therapy and you would have been complaining about it just 2 or 3 days into therapy.

I find that more moisture actually helps open up my nose if I get congested. If a hot steamy shower seems to help open up the nasal mucosa...then you might want to try more humidity and not less.

This is one of those YMMV areas and you just have to figure out what makes your nose feel the best.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Mikebear

Post by Mikebear » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:19 am

scruffies wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:16 pm
Thanks Julie for the response. I was not clear. I get allergy flare ups at various times of the year, and I can tell because the roof of my mouth starts to itch. I have the climate control set to auto and its been very comfortable for the past 60 days, but this morning I realized allergy congestion has started. However, your suggestion to dial down the humidity until the congestion has passed is worth trying. Makes sense to not add humidity to congestion.
I use various methods, depending on what I need at that time. Please note, I do not use all of these every night.: Neilmed saline nasal irrigation, Flonase spray, OR sometimes a shot of the old-school Afrin type nasal spray.

Usually, my nasal pillow mask (of which I've used various kinds over 20 years) helps keep things open properly. It just blows through and opens things up. Please note that in all that time, I have never used a cpap humidifier as the humidity causes stuffiness for me... In fact I used one single pressure cpap brick machine for the whole 20 years, until I just switched to an Airsense 10 Autoset machine at Christmas time.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:37 pm

scruffies wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:03 pm
Other than taking Benedryl as an allergy med
Benadryl is a first generation antihistamine. It's effective, but it causes bothersome side effects in many people. I would go with a second-generation antihistamine which has fewer adverse effects. My first choice would be Zyrtec generic ( https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Aller ... t/10899001 ).

Remember, antihistamines work best when they have a chance to get into your system BEFORE you are exposed to allergens. Since you are already exposed, they may take two or three days to become effective.

scruffies

Post by scruffies » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:23 pm

Thanks for the good ideas. I will be trying some of them.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:00 pm

scruffies wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:03 pm
So question: Other than taking Benedryl as an allergy med, do you veterans have any tips or tricks to tolerate nasal congestion using pillows?
A few years ago, a clever ENT who'd recently graduated at the top of her class, told me to use Afrin(oxymetazoline hcl)... but to only use it *at night*. the 12 hours during the data that you don't use it gives your nose a chance to recover, and you won't get dependent/addicted to it for a month, or more... I've never needed to use it for that long, but I have used it for a couple of weeks... and she was right... no horrible rebound congestion when stopping.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.