Airfit N20 Nasal - Pillow Settings?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Dog Slobber

Airfit N20 Nasal - Pillow Settings?

Post by Dog Slobber » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:25 pm

I noticed in the Resmed AirFit N20 user manual, it says to set the configuration of your device to "Pillows" instead of "Nasal". This doesn't make sense to me, I've been using the mask configured as Nasal, originaly configured by my sleep tech.

How many N20 users have there devices configured as Pillows?
Just wondering if I should switch it.

https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents ... er_eng.pdf
N20.jpg

Jas_williams

Re: Airfit N20 Nasal - Pillow Settings?

Post by Jas_williams » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:37 am

I use my N10 set as pillows as it’s described the same in the manual... my provider has no idea

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:35 am

I suspect that there wouldn't be a huge difference in the reporting if you set the machine to "Nasal" instead of pillows.
I have used a full face mask at nasal pillow settings because I forgot to change with the mask type change and nothing seemed to change all that much.
The mask type setting is mainly for excess leak calculations anyway.
I would use the setting suggested by ResMed in their mask literature though. They make that suggestion for a reason.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

32blownhemi

Post by 32blownhemi » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:57 pm

I got my ResMed Air Sense 10 w/ an Air Fit N20 Mask 10 days ago. After 4-5 days of use I saw that my machine was set to Pillows so I set it to Nasal just figuring my sleep tech made a mistake. Then last night when I tried a FF Mask I set it to Mask (Air Fit F10 FF).... thanks for posting this... Bill

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:12 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:35 am
People keep saying that, but I've measured pressure differences with different settings.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:21 pm

palerider wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:12 pm
Pugsy wrote:
People keep saying that, but I've measured pressure differences with different settings.
I know, I know...that you do...and that's why I said "mainly" for leak calculations because that is what ResMed mentions.
I knew you would come by.. :lol: :lol:
People understand leak calculations and don't understand pressure difference due to inherent mask resistance difference...blah, blah, blah.
And besides...when I recently tried the Respironics DreamWear Full Face mask...of course I forgot to change the mask setting and guess what? You can't tell which nights I used what mask just by looking at the pressure data. The machine responded just like it always responds. And the leak data...that corresponded with the wake ups I had with the big leaks. :lol: :lol:
Any differences that might come about from an incorrect mask setting isn't going to be that big of a deal one way or the other for most people.

The DreamWear FFM went out on loan. When it gets returned I plan some more experiments with it in an effort to make the small frame small enough for my head and I will try to remember to change the mask type on the machine but you know me....my memory sucks sometimes. I do want to compare the first nights with a more correct mask choice though...just in case.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

32blownhemi

Post by 32blownhemi » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:39 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:21 pm
palerider wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:12 pm
Pugsy wrote:
And the leak data...that corresponded with the wake ups I had with the big leaks. :lol: :lol:

So you'll wake up more if you have more leaks? Hope this isn't considered 'post highjacking' like it is on some discussion forums.... Thank You! Bill

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:45 pm

32blownhemi wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:39 pm
So you'll wake up more if you have more leaks? Hope this isn't considered 'post highjacking' like it is on some discussion forums.... Thank You! Bill
It's rare a thread doesn't get "hijacked" here and we don't normally get upset when it happens unless it really derails a thread badly and causes a lot of confusion.

Yes...I wake up if leaks are really big...usually anyway. Not always but with the new mask I was trying...big leaks and I knew they were really big because I woke up with air blowing everywhere but where it was supposed to be blowing.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:20 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:21 pm
And besides...when I recently tried the Respironics DreamWear Full Face mask...of course I forgot to change the mask setting and guess what? You can't tell which nights I used what mask just by looking at the pressure data. The machine responded just like it always responds. And the leak data...that corresponded with the wake ups I had with the big leaks. :lol: :lol:
Any differences that might come about from an incorrect mask setting isn't going to be that big of a deal one way or the other for most people.
No, you're right, it was a *small* difference that I measured, between the different mask type settings, but the pressure was higher on pillows than it was on full face... which makes sense... but it wasn't much, best I remember, between a half and one cm pressure, whereas the difference with a wrong hose type setting was much more.

whether or not you've got a humidifier, size (and length of hose in the bilevels), presence of an AB filter, and mask type all factor into the pressure compensation that the machine uses to get the pressure at the mask as accurate as it can be. Of course, whether or not you've got a humidifier is an automatic setting... Some of the things make more difference than others.

Oh, and looking at the pressure data doesn't tell you anything about this, because that data is what you get *after* applying all the compensation factors... I've measured upwards of 27cm pressure at the back of my vpap auto, when it's set to 17/11. When I'd take a REALLY big, deep breath, the machine goes into overdrive to keep the pressure at the mask right, on the other end of all those flow restrictions. pressure at the mask when that happened? 17. I was impressed at how accurate it was, when I was trying to mess it up :D

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:21 am

Testing to Zonker

This is an old historic post, that I've just uploaded a pic into into.

I asked my sleep tech about setting the N20 Nasal mask to to Pillows instead of the more intuitive Nasal setting. She contacted ResMed and got back the following.

Resmed's response:
Hi Xxxxxxxxx,

Yes the mask setting for the N20 is Nasal Pillows. The reason for this is the leak value from the mask which is less than other nasal masks (and same as Swift FX). The difference in mask settings is; making your leak value in Airview more accurate and fine tuning Smart Start/Stop.
Attachments
zonk_signal.jpg
zonk_signal.jpg (242.44 KiB) Viewed 4737 times