OT - Statins and You

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nicholasjh1

Re: OT - Statins and You

Post by nicholasjh1 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:23 pm

DreamStalker wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:16 pm
ChicagoGranny wrote:
DreamStalker wrote:
ChicagoGranny wrote:
DreamStalker wrote:free of GMOs
Can you provide an example of a food that is harmful because it was developed using genetic engineering techniques?
Google is your friend ... when it's not spying on you.

Can you search ... "GMO corn study"?

C'mon granny! I knows you're smart enough to do your own research.
You made the claim, it's up to you to provide the evidence. But, there is no genetically engineered food on the market that is less nutritious or less safe than its corresponding traditionally-bred food.

DreamStalker wrote:Can you search ... "GMO corn study"?
I am very well familiar with the Seralini study. It has been totally discredited, and it was retracted - https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... to-cancer/

Don't fall for junk science!
Well eat it up Granny! Eat it all up then! ... cuz I just knew you would.

In fact you can have all the GMO I ain't gonna eat just so YOU can have more of it.

You wanted evidence? You really didn't think I wuz going to waste my time trying to teach an old dog any new tricks did ya? LOL
I'm sure the scary fucks from monsanto had nothing to do with the retraction either.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:49 am

Looking for a statin alternative. Was on Lipitor since my MI in July 2018. The last 2 weeks my cardiologist switched me to Crestor due to muscle discomfort, stiffness fatigue , memory issues etc. My sleep is now worse with Crestor than with Lipitor. Reading mixed reviews about statins. Looking for a statin alternative...anyone on Choleslo? Did a search here for this and nothing popped up.

Catnapper

Post by Catnapper » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:02 am

As a statin alternative, our doctor recently put my husband on Repatha. Although expensive, the manufacturer has a safety net program to pay for it if you qualify. Also just in the last month the manufacturer reduced the price by about 60%. Still expensive, but better.

On Medicare it is a tier 5 drug, and has to be dispensed by a specialty pharmacy. Complicated process. The jury is still out.

Catnapper - Joanie

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:17 am

Jay Aitchsee wrote:
Tue May 01, 2012 10:07 am
Read the new FDA warnings about statins here: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Consume ... 293330.htm .

Of particular concern, I think, are the warnings about memory loss and diabetes. For the FDA to release these warnings about such popular and profitable drugs, I think may say a lot more than explicitly stated in the warnings.

Personally I have always been suspicious of statins, even though I have taken them for more than 20 years. I began having problems with fatigue not too long after starting. It seems to me that lowering LDL to an abnormally low level has got to cause problems. After all, LDL does have a purpose, like cell repair and transporting needed fat soluble vitamins and minerals throughout the body and there is a least one study that links zocor class statins to disturbed sleep.

With my fasting blood sugar rising and metabolic syndrome setting in, I felt strongly enough about the danger of statins to stop taking them and begin a "whole foods" diet about 2 months ago. See here for my results so far: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75624&p=704164#p704120

Jay
My father took statins and it did seem to worsen his diabetes and definitely caused memory issues. He got off them when he went on blood thinners and his thinking process was like night and day. It definitely seemed like more than "memory" problems. It makes sense too, the brain is made entirely of fat, and this includes cholesterol... in addition cholesterol is used to repair cells. Often if someone has high cholesterol it is secondary to a repair issue that the body is trying to take care of. take care of the issue and the cholesterol naturally lowers. It certainly did with my apnea. There are a few people that high dietary cholesterol will truly raise their cholesterol, but since the body makes it's own cholesterol there is often a very good reason for raised levels. the best thing to do is try to eat plenty of choline and omega 3's it worked for me anyway, my HDL is over 60 which is unheard of for a male at the age of 41.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:49 am

Already on a cardiac or heart healthy diet. Trying to exercise more...muscle issues are limiting this. Have a family history of diabetes. My dad had it since he was in his 20 or 30s. Already lost 25 pounds since July. My cardiologist didn't think my cholesterol was that high before the MI. Since going on CPAP in February, my diet and exercise were much improved. Since the MI, the diet has been very healthy. Exercise has been hit or miss due to the muscle and fatigue issues.

as for the memory, I forgot about the cardiologist's prescription change in statins. He gave me the prescription, but I didn't think that I had it....had to call the office for it the next day.

Dave

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:14 pm

I have taken Zocor (symvastatin) for several year with no memory or neurological problems.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:32 pm

I am thinking of cutting my 40 mg atorvastatin in half--just to help form firmer stools.
(No, the frog is not full of it--not for long, anyway!)
Fiber does no good at all. Others blame Lipitor--it's worth a shot.

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:58 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:32 pm
I am thinking of cutting my 40 mg atorvastatin in half--just to help form firmer stools.
(No, the frog is not full of it--not for long, anyway!)
Fiber does no good at all. Others blame Lipitor--it's worth a shot.
My Lipitor dose was twice that....80 mg/day. Didn't recall any stool issues.

Crestor is currently at 20 mg/day. Thinking about cutting my Crestor dose in half too after two weeks. Having different side effects from Lipitor.

Dave

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:25 pm

Update: I have been off Crestor for 2 weeks. Relying on diet and exercise to keep my lipids low.

My cardiologist suggested a PCSK9 inhibitor Repatha to lower my cholesterol. There is another competing brand called Praluent. Both are quite expensive....recently dropped in price from US$14k per year by 60%. In Canada, it is supposedly cheaper in the CAD$6-7k range....not sure if there was a price drop in Canada too?

Dave

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:43 pm

Welchol has just started being produced as a generic called colesevelam hcl. It's supposed to be a non-statin.
Under my health insurance, Welchol costs about $600 per quarter (3 months). Colesevelam costs $30.
Pravastatin was causing low-level muscle pain and memory problems. I've been on it for years.
Like ChunkyFrog, I have been also taking CoQ10 to counteract the sequestration problems caused to available CoQ10.
As soon as I heard the generic for Welchol became available, I jumped on it.
My wife has been on Welchol for years. (She could absolutely not manage statins.)
Welchol and its generic are a non-statin LDL cholesterol-reducing drug that is a resin. It causes some gas and larger stools. I'm okay with that.
I've been on it for about two months now. Next April, I get my cholesterol tested again.
Wish me luck.

Most members of this forum are wonderful.
However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:26 pm

Amazing that this statin myth is still ongoing after all these years … as someone on this very forum thread once said back in 2012, “it’s the carbs stupid!” .... and the update.

There is a strong correlation between aging and insulin resistance. Solution:
1. Cut way back on carb consumption and/or eliminate carbs altogether (it’s the only macro-nutrient that is NOT essential – Google it!) and stay away from all vegetable oils … very very bad.

2. Perform a 5+ day water fast at least every 4 to 6 months to rejuvenate your mitochondrial efficiency and to stimulate autophagy, which removes damaged and dysfunctional cells, and promotes new stem cell growth.

3. And of course, breathe happy my friends while you sleep.

4. As an added bonus you can mitigate cellular oxidative stress with hydrogen infused water and/or other esoteric substances like Buckminsterfullerenes as well as Dr. McGuff style resistance training.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.