OSA and Urinary Problems

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lwieland11

OSA and Urinary Problems

Post by lwieland11 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:27 pm

Apparently, there is a very strong connection between OSA and urinary problems like Interstitial Cystitis(IC), for example. I believe I've developed that and wondered how many others have.

RicaLynn

Re: OSA and Urinary Problems

Post by RicaLynn » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:10 pm

I'm sorry, can you elaborate? I don't see how OSA and cystitis could be related?

mesenteria

Post by mesenteria » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:13 pm

I'm 65 and, except for a recently diagnosed atrial fibrillation, was asymptomatic for sleep disturbance of any kind. In fact, to this day I can sleep nine hours and not have to make a trip to the bathroom. My siblings and father are not nearly so lucky.

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:30 pm

lwieland11 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:27 pm
Apparently, there is a very strong connection between OSA and urinary problems like Interstitial Cystitis(IC), for example. I believe I've developed that and wondered how many others have.
Hi... the strong connection that I'm aware of is that using your machine helps to eliminate urinary problems. At least it has in my case. If you are thinking that sleep apnea caused your urinary problems, that's just not the case. Are you working with your doctor on this issue?
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

lwieland11

Post by lwieland11 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:50 am

If you google this topic, you'll see the findings. 95% of people with OSA also have a urinary problem of one kind or another.

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:59 am

Many of us had nocturia before treatment... and non-treated apnea is highly correlated to nocturia... I haven't heard of any other relation, and google just shows that one relation... it's related to the heart being over active and stressed at night/adrenaline etc. your normal anti-diuretic that keeps EVERYONE from peeing at night doesn't kick in when you have all that nighttime exercise and suffocation.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:26 pm

Until you Sleep Apnea is under control, basically you are not treated correctly. You must have data to figure it out, guessing isn't good enough. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

lwieland11

Post by lwieland11 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:14 pm

Here's how my sleep doc explained it when I asked her about the relationship between OSA and urinary problems... sounds like she's quoting a study.

"Sporadic hypoxia in OSA patients results in oxidative stress which can lead to alterations in bladder, detrusor instability and spontaneous contractions through the activation of cell survival signaling from OSA."