Breathing through CPAP feels difficult

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pinguin420

Breathing through CPAP feels difficult

Post by pinguin420 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:36 pm

Hello everyone,

I recently started using a cpap. First day I got pretty much zero hours with it. Second day I got like 3.
Now I have had my third night with the cpap and I got around 5-6 hours of sleep. I don't feel any difference
in my fatigue but I I think I should wait for a couple of weeks before coming to any conclusions.

However, the breathing part doesn't feel comfortable to me. I have nasal pillow mask, which is quite comfortable.
The first day I think I breathed through my mouth more, so I now have sort of a strap around my chin.

It feels like my nose breathing isn't "powerfull enough" to breathe in enough air, if that makes sense. It feels like
It feels like I don't breathe 100% right. When I take my mask of it's such a satisfaction because I can finally breath in
all the fresh air in the room.

I used pressure 6.

I am not sure if this is a placebo because I am not used to this machine yet. Is it a normal feeling?

Did anoyone experience this?

Wulfman...

Re: Breathing through CPAP feels difficult

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:54 pm

pinguin420 wrote:Hello everyone,

I recently started using a cpap. First day I got pretty much zero hours with it. Second day I got like 3.
Now I have had my third night with the cpap and I got around 5-6 hours of sleep. I don't feel any difference
in my fatigue but I I think I should wait for a couple of weeks before coming to any conclusions.

However, the breathing part doesn't feel comfortable to me. I have nasal pillow mask, which is quite comfortable.
The first day I think I breathed through my mouth more, so I now have sort of a strap around my chin.

It feels like my nose breathing isn't "powerfull enough" to breathe in enough air, if that makes sense. It feels like
It feels like I don't breathe 100% right. When I take my mask of it's such a satisfaction because I can finally breath in
all the fresh air in the room.

I used pressure 6.

I am not sure if this is a placebo because I am not used to this machine yet. Is it a normal feeling?

Did anoyone experience this?
It can take weeks to months to feel results. Sometimes the improvements come gradually. It can depend on how long you've had it and how long it takes to pay off your "sleep debt". Another component is that it depends on how soon you get your therapy optimized........finding correct pressure, minimizing leaks, getting enough sleep.
A pressure of 6 is pretty low (for many of us). It COULD be therapeutic, but it also could be a little too low.
Get "SleepyHead" software and take control of your therapy.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:59 pm

6 is a low pressure and sometimes difficult for people to inhale from. Have you tried raising it by 1-2 cms for a night or two to see if it helps?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:02 pm

You might consider trying the next size larger in your nasal pillow and see if the air movement feels more natural to you and easier.
Also, what machine are you using..brand and model. There is a feature on most of these machines called exhale relief and turning it on might also help you feel more natural in your breathing with the mask on.
If we knew which brand and model we could tell you if your machine has that feature or not.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:05 pm

Also, go to the Control Panel and fill in your equipment profile.
We don't know what equipment you've got or whether it's data-capable. That will help us trying to advise you.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:51 pm

Do you breathe through your nose alot in general? Could practice that throughout the day as well.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:57 am

Please fill in your profile so that we can tell which machine and mask you're using.

I'm not sure if your pressure is 6, or if you have the ramp enabled and you're starting at 6 (and if so, what your final pressure is).

Six does sound like a low pressure. Theoretically, you're not supposed to raise the pressure yourself; at least not if you're in the U.S. In reality, I never heard of anybody getting into trouble or being found in violation of a rental or rent-to-buy contract for this reason.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:31 am

In the USA, there is no law that the patient is "not supposed to raise the pressure".
If anyone is told that, it is a LIE.
It is, however, only a good idea for educated, reasonable patients.

lj1983

Post by lj1983 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:59 pm

on reddit pinguin420 mentioned he was not given a titration study and was treating himself. so pressure 6 is where he started. and was recommended there to switch it to auto, and 4-20, as well as getting the sleepyhead report.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:34 pm

lj1983 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:59 pm
was recommended there to switch it to auto, and 4-20, as well as getting the sleepyhead report.
Switching it to Auto and using Sleepyhead would be good moves. But, given what he has reported here
pinguin420 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:36 pm
It feels like my nose breathing isn't "powerfull enough" to breathe in enough air (at pressure 6)
I would set the minimum pressure at no less than 7.